Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2006, 07:07 PM   #16
kdude
orgasmatron engineer

Oddometer: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr openroad
my girlfriend works for a company that is helping this company www.vectrixusa.com with the making of this electric scooter. she says ducati is somehow involved I'm not sure how yet! but it sounds interesting. I do not ride scooters but I am interested in hearing from people that know scooters what you think of this scooter? is it something you would ride or buy? what is your opinion?
I just returned from a month long trip to China. Electric scooters are HUGE in China. In several cities the majority of scoots were electric and believe me those electric scoots can scoot I was amazed at how quiet they are. As a matter of fact my guide tld. me they are a big problem because they can't be heard there are a lot of accidents because people crossing a road for instance can't hear the sound of a 49cc gas scoot and get nailed because they can't hear the electric scoot approaching. If what I wrote doesn't make sense it because I just got off the plane after a 24 hour travelling experience and 12 hour time difference.. i'm off to sleep.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:58 PM   #17
lemmiwinks
sometime dirt squirter

Oddometer: 585
Cool2

The Vectrix will be between $8 and $10K US, so while it's a good product IMO, I can't see it making that many sales. Supposedly it's jumping through the appropriate hoops to get road legal in Australia but I would never fork out that much.

I did buy an electric scooter though, the only one that was road legal for Australia at the time, an EVT http://www.evtaustralia.com.au/ I got the 168 in green. It's built on a common Chinese chassis used for many scooters like the Jianshe JS50QT-2 http://jianshe.com.au/js50qt-2 and Vmoto Milan http://www.vmoto.com/au/milan/ plus plenty of others if you care to look.

It cost more than twice the Jianshe or Vmoto and roughly double what a Yamaha JOG would have cost. So why did I buy it at all? Well, truth be told, I didn't actually want a scooter, I wanted an electric motorcycle, but there isn't anything commercial available (you have to build your own if you want one and I was too impatient). **Correction, there actually are electric motorcycle available, but they're not road legal so of no real interest to me**

Why would anyone want an electric motorcycle? Well I got sick of paying $1.50/litre for petrol and I'm in the fortunate position where an electric vehicle (even with 100 year old technology for batteries) is more than adequate for my around town running. Plus they are sooo quiet and no smells, oils, filters or any other crap to screw around with, just unplug, ride, plugin, repeat. Oh, and I'm a nutter

BTW, electric vehicle manufacturers always grossly overstate their performance figures in regard to speed and range. My EVT speedo has about a 14% error so when it was indicating it's top speed of "50"kph it was actually 43kph. Turns out there is a European controller and an Asian controller. The Asian controller gives much better performance, and after some heated discussion with the importer guess which one I got? With the new controller I get a true 50kph (which is the blanket speed limit in my town) and can do 55+ on slight downhills. From a chat with a Honda "Today" rider, this seems to be comparable performance to her scooter.

I let the boys at the local bike shop test ride it and they reckoned it would blow the Today away so that's good enough for me.
"To a man of imagination, a map is a window to adventure." -- Sir Francis Chichester (1902-1972)
lemmiwinks is offline   Reply With Quote