Good writeup.

http://motorcycledaily.com/25october06.htm
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:29 AM   #2
kdude
orgasmatron engineer

Oddometer: 2,020
Looks like a good all-arounder.... you looking at getting one ?
Old 10-26-2006, 05:18 AM   #3
twinrider OP
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdude
Looks like a good all-arounder.... you looking at getting one ?
Not now ... big scoots are fun and I had a Burgman 650 for a year but eventually started to miss the harder acceleration and better suspension of a standard bike so I sold it. Probably will look at getting one when I'm an old geezer though
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 10-26-2006, 05:35 AM   #4
VESPAsfw3
Year round rider

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
Not now ... big scoots are fun and I had a Burgman 650 for a year but eventually started to miss the harder acceleration and better suspension of a standard bike so I sold it. Probably will look at getting one when I'm an old geezer though
I think I've reached this point earlier than most. I'm hoping to avoid geezerdom and opt for the more interesting and eccentric cootdom. Time will tell.

I've ridden with some Burghmans and they seem to handle and perform well and their riders were pleased with ownership. Compared to the Vespa LX150 I ride they have incredible power and acceleration. During the actual ride none of the extra performance was evident or necessary and I rode along fine.

I recently posted on my blog Scooter in the Sticks about switching rides with a friend, he on my Vespa and I on his Suzuki DRZ400 SuperMoto. When you make that switch after hours on one the differences are startling. Here's a link if you want to see it:
http://vespalx150.blogspot.com/2006/...supermoto.html

For now I will just keep riding and home geezerdom remains over many hills ahead....

steve
VESPAsfw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:45 PM   #5
twinrider OP
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by VESPAsfw3
I think I've reached this point earlier than most. I'm hoping to avoid geezerdom and opt for the more interesting and eccentric cootdom. Time will tell.

I've ridden with some Burghmans and they seem to handle and perform well and their riders were pleased with ownership. Compared to the Vespa LX150 I ride they have incredible power and acceleration. During the actual ride none of the extra performance was evident or necessary and I rode along fine.

steve
Yep, Burgman 650s lack ground clearance and suspension travel when you're really pushing things but overall they handle very well, and feel much lighter and more nimble than their weight on the spec sheet would suggest.

More than the matter of hard acceleration, I think what really turned me off of big scooters for now is the lack of rider involvement due to the auto transmission. I missed rowing through the gears with the throttle pinned and clutching down a couple gears to before entering a curve, then hitting the gas hard, and rowing through the gears once again on my way out. Riding a scoot compared to a regular bike is like driving a Ford Taurus versus a Mazda Miata. They both get you to the same destination just as quickly, but the experience is vastly different. Now if I was just looking for something to keep me dry and warm on a long, mundane daily commute, I might consider a smaller scoot, but then again, I've got a 250cc dual purpose bike that I'm having a lot of fun on getting to work these days and exploring backroads on weekends

2006 Djebel 250XC