Old 12-24-2006, 06:10 AM   #46
cavebiker
Old School Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Eh? Vagabond camping stories

More fun! Vagabond camping stories:
Quote:
Belize:

The guide book said there is a scenic route to Belize City, but in the rainy season you should talk with the locals to see if it's passable. ....Well.....This was the dry season. So... I just went for it. Yeeha! It was scenic.

My first night in Belize somewhere between the northern border and Belize City. There are options everywhere for riding off of the main dirt road I was on and none of them were on the maps I had. I was totally running out of sun so I just take a dense looking path and figure I can camp right on it. The trail turned to standing water. I back it up and park right there for the night. I had a nice campfire made from about 5 pounds of guide books and maps I didn't need cuz Im not going to that part of Mexico, plus whatever else would burn. Anything to lower my weight and space load. Fun time!
cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 06:39 AM   #47
cavebiker
Old School Adventurer

Eek sometimes you dont have a choice

Vagabond camping, sometimes you don’t have a choice except not go there.
Quote:
Chilling out in the Jungle.

Mayan Indian village in Southern Belize:
Far southern Belize high up in the Maya Mountain rain forest is where the Mayan Indians fled in the 1500's to escape enslavement. The Mayan's still live a primitive life style today. The villages are all set near good swimming for bathing.

Driving through the villages I see a lot of chickens, pigs and mules in front yards.

Main road into Agucate village.
South, past here was one more village before the Guatemala border. I forget the name but it was larger then Agucate, which is around 40 homes. To get there is a one hour hike through the rain forest, the only way in.

Road goes from two tracks to one. I park it and two Mayan dudes plus dog guide me an hour into the rain forest to some caves and a waterfall. Agucate, Southern Belize near the Guatemala border. The guide book said this is the best rain forest in Belize.

Here are two of my guides into the Jungle. Ya! I just bumped into them. I guess all the villages have people who have gone through guide training, plus a lot of villages have guest bunk houses for eco-travelers. Everyone who visited my camp outside of town asked why I'm not staying in town at the community place.

It was about a half hour walk through the jungle before we reached the caves with pre-Columbus markings. About another half hour before the water falls. Way cool, I feel this is a dream.

After the hike I pick a camp spot about a mile outside Agucate village. I rode down a path that leads to a jungle river. The water was great for swimming.

Visiting Mayan's at my campsite near Agucate village:
Out hunting they captured this Iguana, the legs are bound for transport. The handler was showing me the belly and said this is prized food because it's full of eggs.

Another group of Mayan Indians visiting me at my camp site near the village. They were asking me "Were you in the Army? Aren't you afraid to sleep out in the jungle alone?" I said "Na! I'm from the north woods, I'm not afraid" Then one of them said "What's that" and pointed to the thick brush next my tent. They were kind of trying to tease me about the jungle and I thought this was another attempt. Then I saw the biggest snake I've ever seen, at least six feet long and thicker then my arm scurry from the brush to the front of my tent. I swear if my tent wasn't zippered shut it would have slithered inside. One of the guys said "I would stay inside your tent after dark if I was you" I forget what I said but I do remember what ever I said my voice was shaking and my knees felt loose. Believe me I took their advice. I slept with my cycle boots on all night and sacrificed a water jug so I wouldn't have to step outside to pee. Before the group took off one of them with a machete made a stick for me, it had a name but I forgot what it was called. The stick was for checking the brush for snakes. He showed me how to use it. "You check for snakes like this, you kill them like this and this is how you whip the snake out of your way." Yaaa!....I thanked them and practiced using the stick. Wakeup call,...Hello, I'm not in Wisconsin any more!

cavebiker screwed with this post 12-24-2006 at 07:07 AM
Old 12-25-2006, 11:16 AM   #48
pilate74
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Small town airports are good places to camp. Most pilots and airport workers are real freindly. Good place to get fuel. Most of the FBOs have free coffie and snacks. Just go in and make freinds with whoever is there. They would probably let you stay in a hanger for a six pack or a few bucks.
pilate74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:42 PM   #49
swjohnsey
Banned

Oddometer: 3,568
I never pay to camp. You should have no problem. I like to cook in public and sleep in private. You can cook just about anywhere, in almost every public park. No lights are fires makes it less likely someone will stumble upon you. The secret to stealth campin' is to get out early before the locals are stirring. In densely populated areas I have resorted to camping in state parks and such that charge. There is usually no one there to collect if you arrive after hours. If you leave at the break of dawn no one is the wiser.
swjohnsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 04:55 PM   #50
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,318
I wonder if or friend in Canada ever saw the movie Easy Rider. Now there was outdoor camping at its best & worst. Just don't be naive & never wake up.
There still plenty of places that would fine for over night stops. Just stay the hell out of lala land.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:19 PM   #51
Makalu
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,826
Nothing new to add, just that I still use national forest or BLM roads to camp on. Never had a problem. I definitely practice "leave no trace" camping and I have never made an open fire.

Back in the day when I spent a lot of time on the road (private investigator), I use to park my truck in Motel 6 parking lots and sleep in the back. That way I could pocket the per diem. Always got a good nights sleep and never bothered. When I couldn't stand myself anymore, I'd take a bath in the swimming pool (Campsuds, biodegradable ). Don't forget to fill up your ice chest from their ice machine on the way out.
Makalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:27 AM   #52
swjohnsey
Banned

Oddometer: 3,568
If you upgrade to the parking lot of Holiday Inn or Comfort Inn you can take advantage of the complimentary breakfast as well, just walk around with a white credit card in you hand that looks like one of their room keys.
swjohnsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:52 PM   #53
Makalu
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by swjohnsey
If you upgrade to the parking lot of Holiday Inn or Comfort Inn you can take advantage of the complimentary breakfast as well, just walk around with a white credit card in you hand that looks like one of their room keys.
My rational at the time was that the more expensive hotels might actually have someone out patrolling the parking lots occasionally during the night. But your idea is a good one.
Makalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:18 AM   #54
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
Back in my even poorer days I did my traveling by hitchhiking. Needless to say there was no budget for motels or campgrounds back then. I've slept in many public parks (be gone by dawn so the soccer moms don't see you and call the cops). Out here in the west there's often brush and/or trees alongside freeway on/off ramps that'll provide you with enough cover for a stealth camp site. A great place when it's raining is underneath freeway overpasses. Up near the "roof" of the overpass there's usually a nice flat area before it slopes down to the road below. Nice and dry.

Even if you get "caught" usually the worse that happens is you'll be told to leave. So fine, head to the next jurisdiction and find a new camp.

Canis meus id comedit.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:50 PM   #55
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez
Stealth camping rules.
Done a bit of it in my day as a long-distance touring cyclist.
Quote:
I would catch the door before it closed and locked behind him. The KOA or some other over priced tent pad camground near Durango was the last time I pulled this feat.
I'll give y'all a Canadian hint: we keep our hockey rinks open in the summer for lacrosse players. Quite often, if you nip in at the right hour, you can squeeze into a changeroom for a quick splash-and-dash shower without any real problem.
I've done this cycling - often with full permission. Other times, folks will steer you to a rec centre/swimming pool, where you can fork over $2.50 for a shower. Still, municipal swimming pool showers are decent, have lockers (!) and get you clean, cheap.
My cycling buddies and I would actually schedule swimming-pool-and-hot-tub breaks into our itinerary. Nuttin feels quite as good as a shower and a soak in the hot tub after eight days and 1000 klicks on a loaded touring bicycle.

Moving Pictures screwed with this post 12-28-2006 at 10:02 PM
Moving Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:52 PM   #56
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,051

I've thought of doing this with a slightly larger tarp (to hide both you and the bike completely) I have a cheap cot that breaks down to the size of a backpackers tent.....you might even be able to set up in a parking lot. Asphault is usually soft enough to drive a couple of tent pegs into....tie the other end to the bike.
I wonder if you might even be able to do ralleys or Wal-Mart this way? you'd just be a bit wider than a standard bike cover and a whole lot more comfortable on a cot than the bike seat.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #57
The Dude Himself
Hooked on Dirt!!

Oddometer: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode
This is the very sort of thing some jerk started The Tent Space Thread for.
Yeah, real asshat. Not to mention the guy that added the map. I hear he has facial reconstructive surgery every three years...
The Dude Himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #58
cavebiker
Old School Adventurer

Wicked REI 12 X 12 tarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo

I've thought of doing this with a slightly larger tarp (to hide both you and the bike completely)
Yes, I thought the same thing about needing a larger tarp. For my next ride I bought an REI 12 X 12 tarp. It has strong tie eyes and folds up super small and is light weight. Can't wait to try it!

www.JustAdventureTravel.net
Old 01-24-2007, 07:49 PM   #59
Seeker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSbiker
I have done many nights along side the road. Most small towns in the midwest have parks that allow camping. Most have water and some even have power hook-up. I have never been bothered.
While touring, it's happened that I've slept next to the bike. Usually because I'm travelling and need a nap. Other times for 5-6 hours.

I do this if I need a rest but don't intend to stop for the night.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
CBR 929
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides
:

Gerbing Cascade Extreme jacket review
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:04 PM   #60
Seeker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilate74
Small town airports are good places to camp. Most pilots and airport workers are real freindly.
Years ago two of us flew down to Loudon to watch some races in his 172 Cessna. Just room for 2 and 5lbs of luggage max. Or so it seemed.
We stopped in Burlington to take in the night scene (college town) and for whatever reason (can't remember) decided to spend the night there. We ended up turning in late that night and sleeping at the end of the runway. It sloped down at a shallow 60 deg or so. We just lay down and went to sleep. Next morning we woke up to the thunder of a 707 lifting off about 200ft over our heads as it passed.

Nobody knew we were out there.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
CBR 929
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides

Gerbing Cascade Extreme jacket review
:
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote