User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
eljay OP
eljay

Oddometer: 19
Europe to Asia

Working on a plan to buy a BMW 1200 GS Adventure in Europe and ride it back to the Philippines.
There are a host of Philippine import problems to overcome but BMW here are working on that.
Presuming it is ok I have to decide on going through Russia/Japan then Philippines or Egypt, Saudi, India Thailand Malaysia and ship back from Sandakan in Sabah (Malysia)
A couple of buddies have expressed interest in doing it with me but I will probably be solo. Europe and Asia present no problem, I've just come back from a SIN,MAL,THA,CAM run and Europe is all established.
Would appreciate any personal input or links to sites with appropriate information you guys may know of.
There are couple of months lead time on 1200 Adventure orders and the earliest time I can ride Europe (winter does not turn me on) is probably April then leave in time to beat the wet season through parts of Asia.
Start 04/2007 end not yet clear.
Cheers and thanks in advance for any info.
eljay, Manila, Philippines
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:20 PM   #2
spacekadet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay
Working on a plan to buy a BMW 1200 GS Adventure in Europe and ride it back to the Philippines...
Hi eljay,

If it makes any difference, I heard on the radio this morning that Russia has more deaths from road accidents than any other country. Don't know why - bad drivers? corrupt licensing? crappy roads and cars?

Anyway, wouldn't China be a better route for you? I'd expect there are more and better roads than eastern Russia. Also fewer border crossings to worry about than going the southern route through middle east and India. I think Burma is a big question mark - not sure if that is safe and whether permits could be obtained.

I can imagine the paperwork for getting a bike into Philippines. I investigated this a couple of years ago - just for a holiday. Way too hard. And they want 150% bond in case I don't bring the bike out again. Bad luck if I crash and can't bring it home!

I'm in the long-term planning stage for a similar trip and still haven't decided on whether China or SE Asia is the better route. Mine won't be for about two years though.

Colin
spacekadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:49 PM   #3
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Go to Horizons Unlimited

You'll spend days there just reading the data .. never mind the forum (Hubb) and the links (travellers Stories)

And it all about motorcycle world travel...
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:48 AM   #4
FredM
Ding Ding

Oddometer: 5,557
Very difficult to get a bike out of Europe without paying alot of $$$$$ to customs. You need a "Carnet de passage" and a deposit of about several thousands of Euro or Dollar (depending on the value of the bike).

I went with my bike once from Germany to Africa. I had to place about $5000 US dollars in deposit and would have lost the money if I would not bring the bike back again. The actual value of my bike back then was maybe about $3000.

I guess you will have alot of paperwork. Considering the money you loose when you not bring the bike back to European boarders.
If we don't prosecute Bush and Cheney and Wolfowitz and Rumsfeld and Yoo and Rice and Powell and scores of other top Bush officials who took part in the destruction of fundamental American values, there will be nothing--not even an idea--left of the United States.
FredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:19 PM   #5
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredM
Very difficult to get a bike out of Europe without paying alot of $$$$$ to customs.
The carnet is a garrenttee that you will not sell the bike in the country your travelling through. If you intend staying in a country then you cannot use a carent to avoid paying the duties.

The cost of a carnet is simply the insuracne cost of teh firm making teh garenttee .. and like all insurance companies they make money, and if you defalt on teh carnet they will come after you for the charges. IIRC I ran is something like 4 or is it 5? times the cost of your bike.

Gettting stuff out is not the problem you think, it is gettting it IN!
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:29 PM   #6
eljay OP
eljay

Oddometer: 19
Thanks guys,
It appears that no carnet is needed for Russia or Mongolia and of course not required for Europe with an EU registered bike, Japan does require one so I would have to just ship from Vladivostok to Manila. It looks like my options are getting fewer by the day.
The Philippine thing is the real pain in the butt. you just dont know until you hit customs what they will do with you and I want to keep the bike here.
Anyway, if all else fails maybe I'll try OZ and then back through Indonesia Malaysia/Thai/Cambodia/Laos. Those I have done before and its a great ride. Spacekadet, if you need any Garmin tracks I have quite a lot of SEA, also China is not welcoming hordes of MC pilots, it's expensive and not easy to get in.
Cheers
eljay
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
schultzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
philippines

ELJAY! Heading to the philippines on sat. nite.staying there for a month,2 weeks with the inlaws.Thinking about renting something to get me out of the house and see some sites.I will be staying in Bacolod.Any ideas or info would be great! Thanks ! Werner
schultzy is offline   Reply With Quote