ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2006, 11:32 PM   #16
Mugwest

Oddometer: 6,014
just for a been-there-done-something-similar data point: make sure you don't have a failing headgasket that lets oil weep out and spray yr boot. Had i not experienced this on my G/S's orig 800 motor i would'nt have believed it was possible: this motor had an upper cyl stud backing out of the case which made fully torquing the head impossible. With the head torque uneven the head gasket started weeping oil, but not enough to compromise compression, go figure. The cylinder in question (right side) weeped oil vigorously from the top edge of the cyl/head interface, such that slipstream air put an oil stain on the right leg of all my jeans and riding pants.
Again, i would have expected compression loss but it never happened-- the oil leak just got more severe until i swapped motors.

seals on the pushrods or a failed breather are statistically more likely (in that order), but check yr head gasket area while you're eyeballing. The quick clue-in is oil from the head/cylinder joint fins that is confirmed not coming from the valve cover.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:59 AM   #17
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,472
Quote:
The other suggestion was just replacing the seals altogether. That's probably the route I'll go. Not quite what I had in mind with my bonus this year.
Pushrod seal replacement is not the big bugaboo it's made out to be. About $50 in parts and 2-4 hours of time. JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:47 AM   #18
tigerapple OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Laugh Oil Leak

Thanks for the comments; really appreciate it.

Well, i did take out the intake tube and saw oil coming out from the breather tube. So if a failed breather tube is the problem and oil is coming out from it; how do i deal with it? Change the tube? Or is there something else i need to manage?

The push rod tube seals is also a goner. This is obvious in my case because i can see clearly the pieces of the seals already falling off due to wear and tear. Just that in this case after i removed the intake tube and tracing the flow of the oil, it does seem that oil from the breather tube is a higher possibility.

So any suggestions as to how i can manage this? Should i remove airbox, clean it up together with my air filter (KNN) Change to new intake tube for better sealing at the edges? What else should i be doing?

Just some of thoughts here. Thanks.
tigerapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:54 AM   #19
Middleweightboxer
Middleweightboxer

Oddometer: 680
Try turning the hose clamp around where the screw is on top. That should eliminate the breather oil leak (for a while).

Tiger 800XC, R1, FZ1, RD400, CB400F
R80ST, R90S, Monster S2R, Penton 125 JPS, T25T

Middleweightboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:11 AM   #20
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,681
It may not be a failed breather, but blow-by caused by worn rings/valves... do a search for breather and see a thread I started... I by-passed the stock breather system and put together a new one that aviods the carb-fouling original OEM design...

Oh, toss the K&N filter.... do a search to find out why.... especially if you ride your GS off-road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerapple
Thanks for the comments; really appreciate it.

Well, i did take out the intake tube and saw oil coming out from the breather tube. So if a failed breather tube is the problem and oil is coming out from it; how do i deal with it? Change the tube? Or is there something else i need to manage?

The push rod tube seals is also a goner. This is obvious in my case because i can see clearly the pieces of the seals already falling off due to wear and tear. Just that in this case after i removed the intake tube and tracing the flow of the oil, it does seem that oil from the breather tube is a higher possibility.

So any suggestions as to how i can manage this? Should i remove airbox, clean it up together with my air filter (KNN) Change to new intake tube for better sealing at the edges? What else should i be doing?

Just some of thoughts here. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:34 AM   #21
El Hombre
Banned

Oddometer: 1,536
Sounds like you have a well worn bike, you need to do some testing, leak down, like previous poster mentioned. It's got lots of blowby that's overwhelming the breather and pushing it out to the carbs. Top end rebuild time. Fix the push rod seals then, as well as anything else. Have Fun.
El Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:30 AM   #22
tigerapple OP
Adventurer

oil leak

im sorry...but what do u mean by 'lots of blowby'? Not sure what this means...appreciate your clarification. And yeah,...it should be a pretty worn bike by the looks of it. I am taking my time to build it up again and is looking at various options,.. Thanks anyway for your comments.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:41 AM   #23
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind
Pushrod seal replacement is not the big bugaboo it's made out to be. About $50 in parts and 2-4 hours of time. JT

It might be a good time to do the rubber intake sleeves too.

It's not hard, you just need to be careful. If you can adjust your own valves, you can do this too.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:47 AM   #24
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerapple
im sorry...but what do u mean by 'lots of blowby'? Not sure what this means...appreciate your clarification. And yeah,...it should be a pretty worn bike by the looks of it. I am taking my time to build it up again and is looking at various options,.. Thanks anyway for your comments.
This would be oil blowing by the worn piston rings or valve guides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:55 AM   #25
tigerapple OP
Adventurer

Oil Leak

Well, cleaned up the air filter and airbox and the oil stopped lieaking for over a week. But it seems to be coming back again...i have noticed a little oil at the bottom of the carb..not enough to drip on me right now..but will monitor it. Push rod seals is worn but in tis case i am convinced it is not the cause. Dunno whether if replacing the breather tube will help?