Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
f650blue OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
$770, Freight and Handling for a new bike.

I went to a local BMW dealer that also sells Triumph motorcycles. I asked what the total price was on new triumph scrambler. The sales person went back to his desk and produced sheet of the total price and he broke it down item by item. I noticed there was a charge of $770 for freight and handling. I never bought a new bike but I understand there is a charge for seting the bike up, but $770. Is this amount about what you have paid on a new bike?
f650blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
Knobbie
Ex Teams

Oddometer: 641
Go somewhere else. They're ripping you off.
Knobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:24 AM   #3
ER BEEMER
Save the Airheads

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by f650blue
I went to a local BMW dealer that also sells Triumph motorcycles. I asked what the total price was on new triumph scrambler. The sales person went back to his desk and produced sheet of the total price and he broke it down item by item. I noticed there was a charge of $770 for freight and handling. I never bought a new bike but I understand there is a charge for seting the bike up, but $770. Is this amount about what you have paid on a new bike?
I'm not sure where your at. Check out this dealer they are suppose to have the cheapest prices in the country. http://www.southernpowersports.com/
ER BEEMER
ER BEEMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:56 AM   #4
El Hombre
Banned

Oddometer: 1,536
Call around and see if anyone is selling a scrambler for less, OTD.

That's a popular bike, McQueen rode one, he's only been dead for 26 years, and still able to bump prices.

I'm impressed.

You gotta shop like crazy if you want a better price on something like this. And even then, you might not be able. Remember the Mazda Miata craze?
El Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:10 AM   #5
sigpe57
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
You probably have not been to the dealer for a long time like me. I walked into to a Honda dealer in east Los Angeles 2 months ago. I asked for the price of a new Honda VFR. The shipping and handling was $1,900. The salesman toll me he can knock off $300 if I am real interested. I can't believe my eyes. I can go to L.A. Inglewood area, buy a brand new Honda VFR and pay $0 shipping and handling charges.
sigpe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:25 AM   #6
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Freight & setup are arbitrary charges. Whether the dealer gets them is entirely supply, demand, and your negotiating skills.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote