Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2007, 04:29 PM   #16
wintonio OP
last of the Dum Dum Daze

Oddometer: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog
...look, it's up to you grasshopper...o you want to take the time and go thru the bike and make it good-as-new or do you want to slam it and ride it?

it's a process...I enjoyed the 3-4 months of nights and weekends I spent on my bike...and I've got what the Italian old folks call the "gring gring"...I can't stop until it's finished....oh yes, you become lost and overwhelmed, and even forget why you're doing it all, and re-doing it all when you f'-up by being impatient.

But in the end, I-me-personally, wanted a bike that is reliable, lubed, tuned, and rust and corrosion-free....this takes lot's and lots of elbow grease, lots of hand cleaner, lots of breathing bad fumes, and lots of trips to the hardware and autoparts store, and internet forum(s)...

Oh the agony!!!...

by the way, I'm not done yet!
I hate truths like that! Yah, you right... part of my problem is that I don't have a lot of freetime. Welding class 2 nights a week, 6-10 pm, dinner with the guys and a meeting on wednesdays, dinner and watching 24 with the woman on mondays, date night with the fiance on fridays, etc It ends up that I have to work on the bike late late at night, and any other time I can. My fiance says I am marrying the garage . I want to do it right, but I don't have a backup bike and am tired of not being able to ride .

Here's the plan: I will take your advice, do it right, but in the meantime, get it up and running. That way, I can go on a ride on a weekend day, and spend all my other freetime fixing it up and cleaning it and lubing it.
wintonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:44 PM   #17
honcho
Barley Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
it will be worth it when your bike blings like a mofo. Rapid... you got some pics of your hard work?
Old 02-21-2007, 05:16 PM   #18
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,046
,,,dinner and watching 24 with the woman on mondays, date night with the fiance on fridays,,,

you got a woman aand a financee?

...got some kinda progressive thread going "Look what I got today" it's called, some pics.

I guess I have to upload some to my website soon...

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:06 PM   #19
honcho
Barley Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
nice. some time and ambition really paid off. sweet bike dude.

which bike are the black valve covers from?
Old 02-21-2007, 07:59 PM   #20
dfc
Reluctant Cannonball

Oddometer: 2,742
Dont Sweat it

Wintone, you oughta see my bike and stop looking at all these Simple Green Whores. Heres a close up of the rim

I am the second owner on this bike. The PO lived in Alaska with it for a number of years, coated it thoroughly with Calcium Chloride (the shit they use on roads there), then had the gall to die.The bike then sat a couple of years before his wife brought it to the lower 48 and I bought it. Even after repeated pressure wash this shit is welded to the aluminum so tight you have to chisel it off. Not gonna do it, so be assured there will be an uglier '92 GS than yours. BTW, mine came to with both a lower and upper front fender.the fender bolts I have go through the fender and brace with a simple round socket head like this (#1)

I figure your stud/nut came with special brace

As for the black Jugs
leave 'em alone and ride the damn thing (if you get those carbs fixed)
Old 02-21-2007, 08:14 PM   #21
wintonio OP
last of the Dum Dum Daze

the brace it had on it was the original, and the CC brace came without hardware of any type. Oh, the woman and the fiance are the same person; unfortunately she doesn't prescribe to the California "open" relationship lifestyle
Old 02-22-2007, 08:13 AM   #22
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,046
crudly

My rims where tarnished enough that even the front spoked where rusted...thoiught they were stainless...lot's of different sized wire wheels on the hub and steel wool on the spokes, and the Flitz polisher/polish on the rims finally got them to an acceptable cleanliness...but it tok a full Saturday to do it.

I have both fenders with the CC brace also. Be careful installing the brace as you can pinch/rip the fork gaiters (not much clearance)...I did.
Best to install it with the gaiters pulled up I suspect.
FYI there are 2 CC brace styles. One for the high fender and one for the low fender. The later has 8 holes. 4 for mounting to the forks and 4 taped holes for the fender mounting.

Rapid Dog screwed with this post 12-03-2010 at 10:38 AM
Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:18 AM   #23
wintonio OP
last of the Dum Dum Daze

those do look nice... anybody familiar with the cloth you can buy that has some sort of cleaning agent on it that says it will clean all metals? They sell it at the dealership for like $12. I can't remember the brand name, but I have to go there today, and I think I will pick one up, or at least ask the knowledgable parts guy that works there, also an airhead (also saving my ass)

edit: I went all the way out there to get all the shit I ordered, and I fuckin forgot to get one, or even ask about it but I did get some free carbs from the parts guy, I just have to return what I don't need. Let me say this: Greg at Gulf Coast BMW is a seriously right on guy

wintonio screwed with this post 02-22-2007 at 07:36 PM
Old 02-23-2007, 10:51 PM   #24
wintonio OP
last of the Dum Dum Daze

I have massaged the left jug

and the right jug is getting jealous. I will post progress pics tomorrow, as well as bitches, moans, complaints, and hopefully some success stories!
Old 02-23-2007, 11:12 PM   #25
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,805
catching up days later

Windham Hill, i was only asking you about the jug paint job as a wagging-finger clue-in to what else you might need to look at. That previous-owner hooliganism is what counts, 'cos you'll hve to live with it/make it work.
Aesthetically I'm of the "aint broke/ain't leaking don't fuck with it yet" school. I don't care if the PO painted the jugs Barney Purple-- the solution is simple and fun:

Mud is always en vogue, broheim.

"Never could stand that dog..."
Old 02-23-2007, 11:21 PM   #26
bykpimp
Live and let ride

Oddometer: 1,408
I just broke out the airtool, some light abrasive pads and was finished with the cylinders,heads and valve covers in about 45 min. Good enough for me and my dog.
bykpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:50 AM   #27
wintonio OP
last of the Dum Dum Daze

Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Mud is always en vogue, brohein...
True dat, Muggie, but I think the PO's thought that about loctite, too