User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2007, 04:46 PM   #16
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,073
Well, there are several variables that might speed it up some: faster CPU speed, more RAM, SDHC card (writes faster), USB 2.0 Port, just to name a few.

I don't know how much Map data you are trying to load but as a reference, I uploaded Garmin "Western US TOPO's" and the Western US "Recreational Lakes and Fishing Hot Spots" maps (794MB) and it took about an hour. About 3/5 of the time is spent by MapSource building the Map Set for the GPS then the remainder is actual upload time.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:43 PM   #17
thouk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Drtbyk,
Well I am running one of the new Gateway cx210x with 2 gig of ram with a Dual core 2 1.83 processor. The only thing that I think is slowing me down is the card. I have a sd adapter built into the computer so it should be usb2 with I don't think the card is. I am loading all of the topo maps onto one card, east, west, Alaska and Hawaii. It was like 1746 megs. So it was less then 2 gigs. It has taken all day to load the stuff. Hopefully when I get home this morning I can try what you talked about and get them to display on my Pop's zumo. What is weird is that I can load all the maps on a compact flash card and load them into my 2610 and I see them right away. Oh well the road goes on. Thanks again for all your help. May the miles be fun, Tony

May God look upon you as you ride with Jesus with the Holy Spirit in your heart.
thouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:31 AM   #18
richc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,607
Tony,

Don't know if you got your topo/Zumo problem solved. If you didn't, try posting it here http://www.zumoforums.com/zumo/
It's a forum dedicated to only the Zumo.
richc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:10 AM   #19
thouk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
RichC and Drtbyk,
Well I got home this morning and I noticed that the card was finished loading. I placed it into the unit and nothing. I took a nap. You know it is always better to sleep on things. No I have a crook in my side from sleeping on the zumo. Or was I not supposed to do that. Well I woke up and used a car from my camera. It is a 512 meg card. I just loaded the Alaska part. It finished in about ten minutes. As soon as I placed it in the zumo it recognised it. I am now wondering if it is the card? Thanks for all the help everyone. Tony

May God look upon you as you ride with Jesus with the Holy Spirit in your heart.
thouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #20
Hermit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Zumo 550 plus Roads and Rec

May not be the card. I tried to load the entire US Road and Rec to a 1 gig SD card the first time it did not see it at all and the second time looked like it only had the major HW's and not the city streets. When I just loaded minnesota it worked fine showing all the roads.

Does anyone have the entire US loaded using TOPO or Roads and Rec?
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote