to butte
To helena
to glacier
to elko
to baniff
to lincoln
to benchmark

That's all Ive got so far,

I realize these arent in order exactly, please help me connect these locations heading from the South to The North!,We are looking for twisty paved roads with some dirt connections sprinkled in between if need be, keep in mind my dad will be in tow... he might be on the "misADVenture" (he hates it when I call it that, he prefers "VentureMax" but I like incorporating the "ADV"...)

So heres the plan so far, Leave Atl in early june 2007, Trailer? west to arkansas, visit a great uncle I havent seen in 28 years, park the truck and head west to Las Cruces New Mexico where we have a friend whose back door has a great view of the Rockies southern end. I want to Criss cross the Divide on the twistiest blacktop all the way to Alaska on my 2001 Fz1 or my recently purchased 05 dl650 WeeStrom [with givi tailcase, drybag, and tankbag] Im trying not to plan too much as not to "spoil the adventure of it" I am finding alot of useful information and entertaining stories here on ADVrider while seeking support in the form of lodging at various points along the way, Due to financial restraints we will be camping quite a bit...

My goal is to make it to Alaska and back by september, dad wants to ride part of route 66 west, I have done a little research on the GCD, picking out towns and landmarks on either side heading north from Las Cruces so we can criss cross the highest elevations along the way,

We plan to leave in mid-june before the first day of summer, it should be mid July by the time we get to Alaska and be back to Atlanta by august sometime,

wyomingwapiti posted
When leaving Steamboat, CO take Forest Service Road 550 from Steamboat area and into Wyoming. Eventually you will reach Highway 70. At this point you are only 10 miles or less from Encampment, WY which is to your East. Head West on Highway 70 over the pass (you will be rewarded with incredible scenery). From Hwy 70, take the Sage Creek Road North (Hwy 71) towards Rawlins. This dirt road eventually turns paved and you will get to Rawlins. From Rawlins head North on Highway 287. Turn West at Muddy Gap Junction on Highway 789. Evenually you will reach Highway 28. From here head in Lander, WY. From Lander take the Sinks Canyon Road (hwy 131). THis road will evenually turn into improved FS roads also. Evenually you will reach Hwy 28 again. Head west on Hwy 28, you will see the signs to check out South Pass City and Atlantic City. Do so, then continue heading West of 28. You will pass a rest stop...shortly after the rest stop turn North on the Lander Cutoff Road. This road is an improved and sometimes unimproved remote county road that will evenually take you to the Big Sandy Lodge. There is some beatiful scenery to see this entire road. Eventually you will reach Highway 353 which will take you to Highway 191 north and into Pinedale. From Pinedale head west on 191 till you get to Highway 352. Head North on 352. The road will turn into an improved FS road and you will go over Union Pass and into Dubois, WY. From Dubois you go over Togowtee Pass and into Yellowstone Park.

Posted by chucktab:
if you are going through Utah, try to put Highway 12 on your route. It runs from Torrey to Panguitch, and is an incredible road full of twisties and sweeps, as well as some incredible scenery. I always tell people that this is the one ride they have to do in Utah.
thanks chucktab!

POsted by NorthRider
I came up through Glacier on the bike about 3 years ago. Its a nice ride. When I came up I went from Glacier to Banff, Alberta. I came up Alberta Hwy 95 through Hot Springs and then took 93 down towards Banff. There is a nice campground at the bottom of the hill as you come down 93. Its about 15 miles outside of Banff. Can't remember the name of it though.

From Banff I took the Icefields Parkway (still highway 93) up to Jasper. If you go through Jasper take the tram up to the top of the mountain if the weather is nice.

From Jasper take the Yellowhead Highway (Canada Hwy 16) to Prince George. At Prince George you have a choice. Go North on 97 (The ALCAN) or continue West on 16 to Kitwanga and the Junction of the Cassiar Highway. I like the second route better myself. The Cassiar and ALCAN highways come together just outside of Watson Lake.

From Watson Lake there are several choices depending on your taste for riding on dirt. There is the Campbell Hwy, Canol Rd, Klondike Hwy, Top of the World Hwy and the ALCAN. They all have paved parts, but the ALCAN and Klondike are the only fully paved roads. thanks NorthRider!

At the top of the page is the list of towns and sights along the GCD I have picked out, please feel free to insert locations or any input about things to see or avoid.. I realize some arent in order so please help us out if you can...
"I've seen the look of "Just shoot me" on the face of the poor fellow stuck in his generic sedan, wife reading People magazine, kids in the back fighting over what movie to watch on the portable DVD plaver as I pass them and we make brief eye contact. I choose not to be that person." Pluric.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...VisitedMap.jpg

riceburner30281 screwed with this post 04-10-2007 at 07:58 AM Reason: lack of interest/response
riceburner30281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:33 AM   #2
riceburner30281 OP
misADVenturer

Oddometer: 645
you guys suck!

Yep. you suck....
"I've seen the look of "Just shoot me" on the face of the poor fellow stuck in his generic sedan, wife reading People magazine, kids in the back fighting over what movie to watch on the portable DVD plaver as I pass them and we make brief eye contact. I choose not to be that person." Pluric.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...VisitedMap.jpg
riceburner30281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:26 PM   #3
Joules jammer
Uly Kingdom

Oddometer: 3
Buckhorn Station, Roosevelt National Forest

Joules, (my Buell Ulysses) is two months old today, built on my birthday.
To celebrate, we went on a little adventure ride.

Three moose, one bald eagle, sightings of Wyoming, 8,032 feet of elevation.... not a bad day at the office.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559441227PtZHRF
Old 06-13-2007, 10:28 PM   #4
Joules jammer
Uly Kingdom

Oddometer: 3
Rollins Pass

Joules - a Joule is a measure of electric energy.

Over five miles on the pegs above 9,000ft, Joules showed its stuff last Wednesday.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559434394bhXvPZ

Ulysses; own the corners, and the adventure on the two-tracks!