ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-26-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
dlrides OP
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,330
Garmin 2610 package reduced

I noticed that Edge GPS has their 2610's at $199. I ordered one of their packages offered here on ADVrider, and was very satisfied. No affiliation, just passing on the info.

http://www.edgegps.com/eCart/viewIte...?idProduct=263
Old 06-26-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,579
Hi,

WOW!
If I didn't aleady have one,plus the Nav II that came with my GS,I'd be all over this deal.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,854
Fantastic price! I just shipped my dead 2610 back to Garmin where they will exchange it for a refurbished unit for $225.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:52 PM   #4
Railbender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Fantastic price! I just shipped my dead 2610 back to Garmin where they will exchange it for a refurbished unit for $225.
I haven't sent my dead 2610 back yet. Justy ordered one of these so I am ahead a few $.
Railbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
zed88
n00bilicious

Oddometer: 1,297
How would one of these work for a dedicated car system? I'd like to install something like this in my girlfriends car, so she can get around without getting lost, and input address in the car.

It would probably only be used in one state at a time, so I figure I shouldn't need a big SD card.

How are the maps? Is v7 new enough to be useful in cities? It will be used primarily in WI, and IL. The map pack that comes with it has all the POI's and roads for the continental 48 states?

How's the user interface. It can be a little twitchy for the cost, but a newbie can figure it out eventually?

Overall for $200 bucks will it function as a decent car system?

Thanks!
Eric

PS:If its really that good, I may get one for myself. My understanding of the software licensing, is you get 2 unlocks and thats it. So we could both have one?

zed88 screwed with this post 07-02-2007 at 03:07 PM
zed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #6
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by zed88
How would one of these work for a dedicated car system? I'd like to install something like this in my girlfriends car, so she can get around without getting lost, and input address in the car.

It would probably only be used in one state at a time, so I figure I shouldn't need a big SD card.

How are the maps? Is v7 new enough to be useful in cities? It will be used primarily in WI, and IL. The map pack that comes with it has all the POI's and roads for the continental 48 states?

How's the user interface. It can be a little twitchy for the cost, but a newbie can figure it out eventually?

Thanks!
Eric

PS:If its really that good, I may get one for myself. My understanding of the software licensing, is you get 2 unlocks and thats it. So we could both have one?
I've been really happy with mine and have used it primarily in the car to this point. Interface is very good and simple to learn. Touch screen adds to the simplicity. It comes with V7 and a free upgrade to V8 with mail-in. Maps not only have all of the US, but Canada and Mexico to boot. Map coverage and accuracy is pretty good and as good as I expected for my area and the very rural areas I commonly travel.

Smokin' deal IMHO.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #7
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,740
Man, I really wish this deal was available last winter before I bought my 60CS. Anybody interested?
Fubars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:10 PM   #8
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Thanks!
Eric

Hi,

It uses a CF card,not SD.I loaded a great majority of the western US on a 512MB card,have the 2 GB card in case I want the whole US.

As of June,reportedly only one unlock allowed.If you are talking about buying two units you will each get software,so you will have enogh unlocks.
Would talk with Garmin about this if you are sharing a computer,don't know if it would allow two of the same software versions on one PC.

Version 7 will still be useful,I still use version 5 on one!

JR356
Old 07-05-2007, 07:29 PM   #9
zed88
n00bilicious

Another quick question. Can you scroll with your finger on the 2610? Like you see the map and then just drag it around? We went looking today, and noticed you could do it on the NUVI Series, but not the C320 series.

If you can scroll then we'd definitely get the 2610.

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #10
couver
Danger to Myself

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Another quick question. Can you scroll with your finger on the 2610? Like you see the map and then just drag it around?
Yes, you can.
couver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:16 PM   #11
Lunatic
Dan Keyhoety

Oddometer: 615
waterproof ?

Is it waterproof ?

Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid that it will never start.

Arrogance is the anesthesia that dulls the pain of stupidity
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:46 PM   #12
zed88
n00bilicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic
Is it waterproof ?
Yep rated for 3ft immersion for 30 minutes.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:49 PM   #13
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic
Is it waterproof ?
Most Garmins(except the car only i,c and nuvi series) are rated waterproof for one meter immersion for up to 30min.
This includes the 26xx-28xx series.

JR356
Old 07-06-2007, 09:00 AM   #14
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,177
Sweeeeet! I just pulled the trigger and ordered one. I was kicking myself for not taking advantage of the prior deal at $260...... I did not order the $39 motorcycle mount, since I'm new to the GPS world and clueless about mounting it to my wee strom. I'll have to do some searching to figure out the next steps.....
Old 07-06-2007, 09:09 AM   #15
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Strom
Sweeeeet! I just pulled the trigger and ordered one. I was kicking myself for not taking advantage of the prior deal at $260...... I did not order the $39 motorcycle mount, since I'm new to the GPS world and clueless about mounting it to my wee strom. I'll have to do some searching to figure out the next steps.....
Hi,

Get a RAM mount and a hardwire cable and you are set.
If you go to the main RAM site,they even have a selection system,so that you know which parts to order.

http://www.ram-mount.com/products/motorcycles.htm

RAM and cable both available here:

http://cycoactive.com/gps/default.htm

JR356