User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2007, 05:27 AM   #1
Dingo Joe OP
Frick You...

Oddometer: 4,863
I live here...

There a show on tv/cable called We Live Here were local people showcase their intimate knowledge of their respective locals. I'd like to see this thread as a place where folks could list some unknown or lesser known events, places to see, or place to eat in their home towns. It would be important to start the posts with the city/state in the heading, then in the body of the post, give a website if possible. It would look like this...
Old 09-04-2007, 05:33 AM   #2
Dingo Joe OP
Frick You...

Dayton, Ohio

A cool event that only happens overy other year at the Wright Patterson AFB museum is the Dawn Patrol Rendevouse World War I Fly-In
The museum and the Great War Aeroplanes Association offer a flying event of authentic and replica WWI aircraft. Includes re-enactors, radio-controlled model aircraft, period vehicles, and a swap-and-shop of WWI era items. It's Sept 22-23 this year.

If you have an interset in this stuff, it's a lot of fun and rather unique event. For mor info try this: http://www.avweb.com/events/11622.html http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/new...door/index.asp As a bonus, you are at one of the finest Air museums in the world. Say hi to Dingo Joe if you come into town...
Old 09-04-2007, 05:37 AM   #3
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
Neat idea, but maybe a better fit in Regionals? Aw, what the heck. It's only one thread.....
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:44 AM   #4
Dingo Joe OP
Frick You...

it's a trans regional thread useful for planning stops along the way or even final destinations. It could also be useful for folks that find themselves in a strange town without any knowledge of what to do. Goto library, get on Internet/ADVrider search Trip Planning + %city% = fun stuff to do...
Old 09-04-2007, 06:19 AM   #5
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Joe
it's a trans regional thread useful for planning stops along the way or even final destinations. It could also be useful for folks that find themselves in a strange town without any knowledge of what to do. Goto library, get on Internet/ADVrider search Trip Planning + %city% = fun stuff to do...
I still think this is more of a regionals thing. If i'm in a strange place, I look there to get info from locals. This forum is about planning a trip - not what to do once you are there.
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:54 AM   #6
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Joe
You will get the same results displayed in the same format whether you search at the forum or thread level.

I think the problem is expecting everybody to type it in here all over again. I know what I would be looking for are the tidbits that have been accumulated for over five years in the other forums, like maybe something that Goonie or Poser had found or done.

You can't expect them to key it in again, plus, why would you want to start from scratch. Maybe what could do here is provide some query instructions or pointers for the users to show them how to search for it in the other forums
PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #7
Dingo Joe OP
Frick You...

I'm a lover, not a fighter. Ya'll can kick this over to regional if you want and i suspect that if I think about it more, it would probably fit there just as well...
Old 09-04-2007, 03:57 PM   #8
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode
I've never imagined folks would retype stuff to have it here. A list of links, sorted by topic matter / state / country / whatever-division-seemed-appropriate would accomplish the same thing.

If there was a list of links, then anyone who found a good thread could post a link when they came across something good, which could then get transferred to the OP of the thread.

Maybe I'm wrong?
I think a master index is a good idea, if that's where you are going, but not of static links to posts - more of search criteria, that's where Goggle makes it's money as well.

Hypothetical situation where I post a link to a three year old golden nugget and bring it to folks attention about a neat place to get something fixed or stay. Others locally post problems with new management or going out of business in a another thread, but by using the static link, the guy planning his trip never finds it, unless he's smart enough to do a search because he doesn't trust me or realize that it's old data.

A classic example is a certain camp ground in North GA. Over time, you will find the reputation evolve, just like many businesses. Posting a link to a search lets the user know about whatever your interested, but gets the most up to date info from everywhere. Just rambling here, but do you think that would be a decent approach?
PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote