Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #46
srileo
dot Indian snakecharmer

Oddometer: 892
agreed. the iphone has a few serious drawbacks for ADV-work. i am quite surprised that a bluetooth keyboard hasnt yet come out for theiphone. and a voice recorder. The ipod has long had that support for external voice recorders.. hmmmm whats everyone waiting for?
Old 10-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #47
BlaSTr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Like some here I have a 17" laptop that is too big to take on trips. I don't need much CPU power as all I'm doing is texting and sending pics. I'm seriously considering a small used 13" Mac iBook or PC as my primary computer. My ATT phone won't work with the laptop (or a PC either) and the roaming costs are obscene, imo. I hate to waste the money for a smaller PC but space on a long ride is a premium, as far as I'm concerned.

I've got a digital camera and a several 2Gb SD cards that should hold most of the pictures and video. I just want to be able to upload my reports, call friends via Skype, and plan the next weeks ride.

One thing I don't see mentioned here is what folks do about those chargers for their gear. My cell, PC/Mac, iPod, etc all use different chargers and some are not world friendly (115V only instead of 100-220V). All are designed for the US market and that means carrying one of those plug/voltage converter gizmos.

Thanks for the tips and food for thought.

Doug

IBA SS1000 & BBG1500

06 ST1300A
00 Jeep Cherokee
----------------------
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
BlaSTr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:35 PM   #48
srileo
dot Indian snakecharmer

Oddometer: 892
Tell me about it. I have a top of the line MacBook Pro 17" that is too expensive, too big and thirsty for ADVing. I too am considering geting an el-cheapo G4 iBook. They seem to go for about 400$. Not too bad for the convenience. I might wait uptil christmas to see what deals i can get used on ebay. But agreed that a small laptop is best for everything. For me, i need something that will suck down the hundred odd photos that i sometimes take in a single day. And that i can quickly parse and edit.

I could get a new-ish cheapo laptop for about $500...but that'd have to be a PC and i am so over them. especially hate Vista. ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaSTr
Like some here I have a 17" laptop that is too big to take on trips. I don't need much CPU power as all I'm doing is texting and sending pics. I'm seriously considering a small used 13" Mac iBook or PC as my primary computer. My ATT phone won't work with the laptop (or a PC either) and the roaming costs are obscene, imo. I hate to waste the money for a smaller PC but space on a long ride is a premium, as far as I'm concerned.

I've got a digital camera and a several 2Gb SD cards that should hold most of the pictures and video. I just want to be able to upload my reports, call friends via Skype, and plan the next weeks ride.

One thing I don't see mentioned here is what folks do about those chargers for their gear. My cell, PC/Mac, iPod, etc all use different chargers and some are not world friendly (115V only instead of 100-220V). All are designed for the US market and that means carrying one of those plug/voltage converter gizmos.

Thanks for the tips and food for thought.

Doug
Old 10-02-2007, 02:00 AM   #49
tardypizza
n00b-like in consistency

Oddometer: 110
I'm getting one of these if/when it comes out. Seems perfect for reporting from the road. Portable, cheap and solid-state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC

tardypizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:25 PM   #50
EdOriginal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
A couple of thoughts

At the end of the day I pop out my SD card and plug it into my $550 notebook (with something like the SpeedStick) and rename the pictures as I copy them to the notebook. I rename each picture to a short name describing what the picture is of.

Send the pic's to Photobucket site...then I use "Microsoft Word" to do everything as far as text for each picture and add a link line to the Photobucket picture(s). When convient to a wifi I cut and paste the word document to AdvRider or where ever.

I'm fast in MS Word and Word helps me organize (cut and paste) the sequence of pictures and text. And a simple Control A and Control X, cuts and pastes the entire document into AdvRider or where ever.

Also I travel with my notebook inside my right Jessie bag surrounded by my clothes to cushion the ride. Well over 10,000 miles with no issues.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:16 AM   #51
SourcetoSea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Dumping pics to Photobucket (or anything else)

Can you dump pics en masse to Photobucket? I'm just now getting into putting more pics online by remote server and am looking for the least painful way to do it. I'd like just select a folder or large group of photos and let it do its thing, rather than having to individually select and upload if at all possible.

www.SourceToSea.net
SourcetoSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:58 AM   #52
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourcetoSea
Can you dump pics en masse to Photobucket? I'm just now getting into putting more pics online by remote server and am looking for the least painful way to do it. I'd like just select a folder or large group of photos and let it do its thing, rather than having to individually select and upload if at all possible.
Not sure about photobucket, but you can drag and drop with Smugmug.

I'm a big fan of that site because Chris (Baldy) owns smugmug and I like to support my favorite website and Baldy for fielding this community.

If you are going to stick with photobucket, I'm sure someone will come along shortly and point you in the right direction.

Bob
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:44 AM   #53
SourcetoSea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
No kidding about Baldy - I didn't know that. I'll check it out. We tried a couple of things on the river but eventually gave up and just burned cd's wherever we could. I'm sure trying to upload from public libraries didn't help anything though.

www.SourceToSea.net
SourcetoSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:14 PM   #54
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,927
What works for me

I was a Luddite until we linked up with Pilot on the way to Panama. I had a digital camera, and a written journal. Once we discovered his laptop, it was an epiphany. I now carry one on every trip.

My hints:
Neoprene sleave around laptop.
1" closed cell foam in saddlebag bottom.
Laptop stored vertically, in bag away from exhaust.
Firmly (with soft stuff) brace so no movement inside the saddlebag.

Carry digital card reader (USB) to save camera battery during transfer.
Load decent photo software to reformat/resize before uploads to internet.
Use flashdrive for upload at an internet cafe.
On laptop (with wireless) use FileZilla. Way fast uploads.

Carry three sets of rechargeable batteries and recharger.

Carry headphone/mic for laptop.
Subscribe to Skype before departing. This will allow you to call any other Skype member on a computer for free (over the internet) from anywhere in the world, (FOR FREE).

Carry an ethernet cable in case your room doesn't have wireless, but they have ethernet jacks.

Carry internation plug adapters for your destination country.

Make sure all your electronic equipment is 110/220V adaptable before departing.

Consider a power inverter that will allow you to charge batteries from your 12V system on the bike while you ride. Make sure you have the proper adapter to plug into your bike's output jack.

Do all your writing/editing and picture reformatting on your laptop prior to locating an internet cafe. Will save lots of time and money.

Buy a wireless internet detector and carry with you. It will allow you to walk around town and find wireless hotspots, some of which may be people's unsecured home networks. You'll be surprised how many of them there are.

Finally, you have to decide if posting from the road is what you want to do.

Are you on the trip, for the trip, or to post about it? I loved my first "on the road" trip journal which was done mainly on Pilot's laptop. (Finding Panama) Ah, the heady days of early travels and posting.

But then it began taking over the trip. Every evening was spent looking for internet. Hours were spent formating photos and wordsmithing. I soon realized that I was living my trip online, and not in real life. Bummer.

Remember, every hour you spend doing digits and posting from the road, are hours taken from other experiences you could have been having on the trip. Only you can decide the right balance. Consider posting only once a week, not daily. Just don't let the need for posting override the actual exerience.

Just my 2 cents.

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:15 PM   #55
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn
Just my 2 cents.
2 cents? You've got to be kidding.

This advice is worth its weight in gold.

Muchas Gracias

Bob
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:40 AM   #56
Jammin
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,526
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn
Are you on the trip, for the trip, or to post about it?
Exactly what I was trying to make sure not to do on my recent trip south of the border. It's about finding a nice balance of just posting a few updates and some pics instead of writing a full on report.

I trip reported from the road in Mexico with no laptop. I just used the internet cafes in each town I stayed in. They're adequate enough to upload a few pictures and post some text. The PCs themselves were mostly slow, but the internet was broadband. So it took a while to open each window, but once inside, the internet was good. Cost was 10 pesos an hour mostly, can be more in some places. The operating system was generally older, like Windows98 or ME, so they didn't recognize when I plugged my camera in, but I took an SD card reader just in case and that worked great. Just pull a few pictures off, upload to flickr or photobucket and post. It took me about an hour to upload and post the pix and text here and on my blog.

In the Lonely Planet guide, they list a few internet cafes in each town. In Third World countries, the culture of internet cafes is still booming, because I think not everyone has a pc at home like in developed countries. I mainly saw young people in there chatting on MSN, watching videos on YouTube and some others were posting on job sites, just an example.

Yes, the keyboard is a Spanish layout with special accent keys and what not, took a few days to get used to it. Apostrophe is in a different location and so are the parentheses. No big deal. The OS is in spanish, but once your on the internet, it's all english.

For uploading pictures, since I couldn't resize my photos before uploading, it takes a while to upload 2MB photos. I used flickr because they automatically give you different sizes of the photo for posting in forums.

It would still be nice to have a small laptop I think where you could resize pictures, work on the text and then just plug into the ethernet and post. But, this worked great without having to take a laptop along.

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote