Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-29-2007, 12:51 AM   #1
Chris_GS OP
I like a big pair...

Oddometer: 452
Continental TRAIL ATTACK tyres/tires ongoing test

Hi all,

I have decided to do an ongoing report on the new Continental TrailAttack tyres, posting as I go.

Why? I have scoured the web for info on various tyres and it seems that you can't get decent info on this newly-released tyre. So I got a set.

First off, I do mostly road km's, and some off-roading. Our dirt in this area of the woods consists of gravel roads, leading up to gnarly rocky roads. there is some sand but it's usually a puddle of mud that's avoidable. mostly.

This tyre is designed by the factory to be "a mostly on-road tyre with all the latest technology, for the rider that sometimes goes off-road". eg what I would say is 90% of GS usage.

I intend to use it as designed, so if I have a gnarly off-road trip that I know about coming up, on will go TKC's- either a set or just a front to give me some dirt grip. or maybe not!

so saying that, here's some facts:

Bike:
R1150GS 2002 model (80,000km)
Suspension:
WP
weight of rider:
approx 100kg WITH gear.
Ride ability:
I'm what I would consider a quick, but not outright fast road rider. Offroad I'm Mr Joe Average.
Pressures:
I'll run the stock pressures, experiment either way with dirt and road usage. I'll post this as I go.

Here's a pic of the tyres. Some initial notes. The Continental tyres are made in a few places around the world, and quite often (as is the case here) the front is made in one country (Korea), the rear is made in another (Germany). go figure. I would be interested in posts from other users on the sidewall markings- where their tyres came from?

Tread depth is 5mm at the front, and 9mm at the rear. Very similar to a new Tourance. the grooves are thinner at the edges of the rear, giving the impression of less groove and therefore less 'dirtability'. The front has similar groove numbers and widths as the Tourance, so I can only assume that the front will behave as a Tourance would. I will use the Tourance as a comparison as A: most people have ridden on Tourance as it is an OEM fitment and B: I have good experience with the same.
Attached Images

VFR800 (VFR# 7)
Chris_GS is offline   Reply With Quote