Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
number9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Roads and Recreation question

Since the R&R doesn't have to be unlocked and can install on several units, can that CD be copied? Just asking cause since thinking of getting a 60cx, I have been trolling ebay for R&R and I have seen a couple sellers that seem to sell several copies of it and the ad doesn't mention if it is the genuine CD or a copy (though I don't expect they'd announce if it was a copy).

Not really that I'd freak out to pay for a CD and find out it was a copy when I got it, just would be nice to know beforehand.

number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,969
There are certainly dodgy copies of R&R available.....
Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,865
While ADV fleamarket rules prohibit the sale of unauthorized copies of copyrighted material, ebay doesn't seem to care so much.

Kind of explains why Garmin went to a locking scheme with later map data.

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,286
Actually there was nothing special about R&R. It was just Garmins free track and route manager with a set of USGS 1:100,000 maps. I assume that they also didn't see much $ value in it which is why they didn't bother to copy protect it. I have several friends who have been given copies.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:31 AM   #5
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
Actually there was nothing special about R&R. It was just Garmins free track and route manager with a set of USGS 1:100,000 maps. I assume that they also didn't see much $ value in it which is why they didn't bother to copy protect it. I have several friends who have been given copies.
Don't know when someone got it for free - I paid for mine way back when for my III+. And like the rest of Mapsource maps, it's map data, not a track and route manager. (Just to avoid further confusion - Mapsource itself is the program that manages routes and tracks)

What is "special" about it is that it has a lot of older, smaller roads that are not shown on the current City Nav, or prior City Select maps. R&R is better for finding old, fun, roads, at least in my part of the world.

The new TOPO maps do have pretty much the same roads, only updated. They also have the topo lines, which I don't need.

I keep both R&R and CN loaded on my 376 and switch between then depending on what I'm riding/driving and what I'm trying to find.

Dave

dunno.....
Old 12-20-2007, 05:30 AM   #6
techieguy
Lost in the woods

Oddometer: 354
Does anyone have a copy available for sale??
Old 12-20-2007, 07:35 AM   #7
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-950
Don't know when someone got it for free - I paid for mine way back when for my III+. And like the rest of Mapsource maps, it's map data, not a track and route manager. (Just to avoid further confusion - Mapsource itself is the program that manages routes and tracks)
To avoid further confusion, the R&R CD *will* come with an ancient version of Mapsource which can then be updated for free from Garmin's web site
(just don't want noobs thinking they need some other CD too)
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:40 AM   #8
yeroc40
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 880
Does R&R routeable?

I bought topo and was a little surprised when I couldn't auto-route. I wanted all the trail info, but to be able to auto-route all the little backroads. Should've done my homework first, and I'm looking to an alternative to buying CN as well.
yeroc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:12 PM   #9
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeroc40
Does R&R routeable?

I bought topo and was a little surprised when I couldn't auto-route. I wanted all the trail info, but to be able to auto-route all the little backroads. Should've done my homework first, and I'm looking to an alternative to buying CN as well.
R&R is not routable. There are a couple versions of Topo. The basic version is not routable.

The 24K version says "Routable roads and trails ". I haven't used it, so I don't know if it is all of the roads and trails shown, or just some of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
To avoid further confusion, the R&R CD *will* come with an ancient version of Mapsource which can then be updated for free from Garmin's web site
(just don't want noobs thinking they need some other CD too)
Thanks Tbird. I wasn't trying to give the impression that the Mapsource software was not included on the R&R disc. I believe there is a version included on every mapsource data disc, but I'm not positive about that one. As you mentioned, all you have to do is go to Garmin's site and download the (huge) update files for the latest version.

Dave

dunno.....