ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
number9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
number9's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Oddometer: 310
Roads and Recreation question

Since the R&R doesn't have to be unlocked and can install on several units, can that CD be copied? Just asking cause since thinking of getting a 60cx, I have been trolling ebay for R&R and I have seen a couple sellers that seem to sell several copies of it and the ad doesn't mention if it is the genuine CD or a copy (though I don't expect they'd announce if it was a copy).

Not really that I'd freak out to pay for a CD and find out it was a copy when I got it, just would be nice to know beforehand.

..
__________________
2000 Yamaha YZ250
2009 Yamaha YZ250
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
Schtum
Free Genie
 
Schtum's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Howe of Fife, Scotland.
Oddometer: 1,969
There are certainly dodgy copies of R&R available.....
Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
9Dave
Bazinga!
 
9Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 12,865
While ADV fleamarket rules prohibit the sale of unauthorized copies of copyrighted material, ebay doesn't seem to care so much.

Kind of explains why Garmin went to a locking scheme with later map data.

Dave
__________________


dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 5,286
Actually there was nothing special about R&R. It was just Garmins free track and route manager with a set of USGS 1:100,000 maps. I assume that they also didn't see much $ value in it which is why they didn't bother to copy protect it. I have several friends who have been given copies.
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:31 AM   #5
9Dave
Bazinga!
 
9Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 12,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
Actually there was nothing special about R&R. It was just Garmins free track and route manager with a set of USGS 1:100,000 maps. I assume that they also didn't see much $ value in it which is why they didn't bother to copy protect it. I have several friends who have been given copies.
Don't know when someone got it for free - I paid for mine way back when for my III+. And like the rest of Mapsource maps, it's map data, not a track and route manager. (Just to avoid further confusion - Mapsource itself is the program that manages routes and tracks)

What is "special" about it is that it has a lot of older, smaller roads that are not shown on the current City Nav, or prior City Select maps. R&R is better for finding old, fun, roads, at least in my part of the world.

The new TOPO maps do have pretty much the same roads, only updated. They also have the topo lines, which I don't need.

I keep both R&R and CN loaded on my 376 and switch between then depending on what I'm riding/driving and what I'm trying to find.

Dave
__________________


dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:30 AM   #6
techieguy
Lost in the woods
 
techieguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Bucks County,PA
Oddometer: 354
Does anyone have a copy available for sale??
__________________
Reality does not always develop in a way we expect it to.
techieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:35 AM   #7
tbirdsp
REMF
 
tbirdsp's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Nebraska
Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-950
Don't know when someone got it for free - I paid for mine way back when for my III+. And like the rest of Mapsource maps, it's map data, not a track and route manager. (Just to avoid further confusion - Mapsource itself is the program that manages routes and tracks)
To avoid further confusion, the R&R CD *will* come with an ancient version of Mapsource which can then be updated for free from Garmin's web site
(just don't want noobs thinking they need some other CD too)
__________________
Mike S.
'09 Bonneville Black, '05 KLR650, '07 Yam Majesty
AMA MSTA
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:40 AM   #8
yeroc40
Studly Adventurer
 
yeroc40's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Neenah, WI
Oddometer: 880
Does R&R routeable?

I bought topo and was a little surprised when I couldn't auto-route. I wanted all the trail info, but to be able to auto-route all the little backroads. Should've done my homework first, and I'm looking to an alternative to buying CN as well.
yeroc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:12 PM   #9
9Dave
Bazinga!
 
9Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Central Ohio
Oddometer: 12,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeroc40
Does R&R routeable?

I bought topo and was a little surprised when I couldn't auto-route. I wanted all the trail info, but to be able to auto-route all the little backroads. Should've done my homework first, and I'm looking to an alternative to buying CN as well.
R&R is not routable. There are a couple versions of Topo. The basic version is not routable.

The 24K version says "Routable roads and trails ". I haven't used it, so I don't know if it is all of the roads and trails shown, or just some of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
To avoid further confusion, the R&R CD *will* come with an ancient version of Mapsource which can then be updated for free from Garmin's web site
(just don't want noobs thinking they need some other CD too)
Thanks Tbird. I wasn't trying to give the impression that the Mapsource software was not included on the R&R disc. I believe there is a version included on every mapsource data disc, but I'm not positive about that one. As you mentioned, all you have to do is go to Garmin's site and download the (huge) update files for the latest version.

Dave
__________________


dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014