Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2007, 04:25 AM   #16
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by GODSPEED
So you are telling me that if my family has 3 Garmin GPS's, I would have to buy map's for each unit? If so, that is BS.
No - from some other info out there, that's Navteq. They are the ones that own the map data and license it to Garmin.

Now how much Garmin negotiated is anybody's guess. But remember when the map datum used to be unlocked? Just look at all of the illegal copies that show up on ebay.

Not saying I like it, but it's the cost to play the game.

I only update once every few years anyhow. Not that many new roads out there I need to have on my GPS. Takes a few years to build them.

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:16 AM   #17
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-950
No - from some other info out there, that's Navteq. They are the ones that own the map data and license it to Garmin.

Now how much Garmin negotiated is anybody's guess. But remember when the map datum used to be unlocked? Just look at all of the illegal copies that show up on ebay.

Not saying I like it, but it's the cost to play the game.

I only update once every few years anyhow. Not that many new roads out there I need to have on my GPS. Takes a few years to build them.

Dave
I can understand protecting the map data, but come on, haven't they ever heard of a multi-user license. They could base it on registered units.

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:52 AM   #18
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
I can understand protecting the map data, but come on, haven't they ever heard of a multi-user license. They could base it on registered units.
Well, if they offered a five-unit license, then we'd have a thread on here coordinating the purchase of it and the sale/distribution of the keys to four other people.

And this licensing system is already complicated enough.

That being said, I thought the two-unit license was restrictive enough and requiring one person to spend $200+ to use a database on two GPSs is greedy. And it has the effect of discouraging customers to buy multiple units at a time when the units are getting cheaper and more specialized.

Garmin is an impressive hardware builder but I don't think their software is up to their hardware.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 12-20-2007 at 12:51 PM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:16 PM   #19
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,876
Quote:
Sure have. Garmin sells them for $75 a piece.

Hey - all kidding aside - I'm not defending them, I'm just telling it how it is.

When I get my new 60cx, I'm going to see if I can't unlock it with my old version of CS that allowed two unlocks. I don't need the latest and greatest when I'm out in the woods, but it would be nice to be able to find a nearby gas station.

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote