ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-31-2007, 05:58 PM   #31
ECM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
And what about that little sticker on the bottom...

But the comparison on that fact sheet above must be wrong on more then one point. The BMW zumo is compared to a Zumo was never supplied. Specs look like a 400 - 450 model. But "only basemaps" was never in any of the boxes. At least one regional mapset was supplied.

The BMW Zumo is the same as the 550 in most specs: It holds an entire region pre loaded (USA - EU) so it must have the higher internal memory. Other differences is only:

> Different motormounting options, no car cradle
> No XM radio on the BMW version (useless in the EU anyway, since XM does not exist over here)
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:08 PM   #32
tiorio
Battle Commuter

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM
The BMW Zumo is the same as the 550 in most specs: It holds an entire region pre loaded (USA - EU) so it must have the higher internal memory. Other differences is only:

> Different motormounting options, no car cradle
> No XM radio on the BMW version (useless in the EU anyway, since XM does not exist over here)
Don't forget about the software being versions behind the actual 550 with no information on possible updates on the horizon. Jeez, brand it however you want, but don't flippin' cripple it! How does that benefit ANYONE?

It's a nice example of how a minor thing (the GPS software) can turn a customer sour even with me loving the bigger thing (the bike).

Annoying.

'09 BMW F800GS
'97 Toyota Land Cruiser
'89 Porsche 930
'96 Toyota T-100 pick-em-up
'07 BMW R1200GSA (SOLD)
tiorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:08 AM   #33
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,518
I was on the phone with Garmin software support for a long time to get my Quest2 up and running with the 2008 maps. This guy was sharp, and navigated in my computer and changed all sorts of settings to make sure things ran smoothly. I began to discuss an upgrade to a Zumo, and he said that would a great upgrade because the Zumo is so much easier to work with, and essentially appears as another drive unit so files can be easily manipulated, etc. When I mentioned a BMW Zumo, he said from THEIR viewpoint, it presents an obstacle for them when providing support, and the BMW proprietary software is not something he would recommend. He took a few minutes to look through Garmin's support database for staff comments regarding the BMW version, and he concluded "stay with the non-BMW if you want easy software maintenance."

Nice to know, because I was going to pay the premium to get the black BMW unit with the data link to the bike.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:41 AM   #34
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiorio
Don't forget about the software being versions behind the actual 550 with no information on possible updates on the horizon. Jeez, brand it however you want, but don't flippin' cripple it! How does that benefit ANYONE?

It's a nice example of how a minor thing (the GPS software) can turn a customer sour even with me loving the bigger thing (the bike).

Annoying.
No updates?

http://www.bmwmotorcyclegear.com/info08/specs_zumo.asp

Of course, this just tells you how to update the dealer list.
xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:05 AM   #35
GAC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
New file that updates dealers

http://www.bmw-riders-gear.com/infopages/zumo_bmw.exe
GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:43 AM   #36
walrond
Earth Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,063
Anyone try to upload the dealer list to their regular 550 Zumo? I don't feel like being a guinea pig today.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:57 AM   #37
tiorio
Battle Commuter

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by walrond
Anyone try to upload the dealer list to their regular 550 Zumo? I don't feel like being a guinea pig today.
Even better, anyone found a way to get the 'real' 550 software to install on the BMW knockoff?

'09 BMW F800GS
'97 Toyota Land Cruiser
'89 Porsche 930
'96 Toyota T-100 pick-em-up
'07 BMW R1200GSA (SOLD)
tiorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:58 PM   #38
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,207
Won't work.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #39
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by walrond
I uploaded the list to my 550 and it shows up in the map list. If you turn it on, it will overlay the active map with named icons for all the dealers when you reach a suitable zoom. You can select the icon and add it to your favorites and all of the contact info will show up. The downside is that the 550 can't search through the dealer list like the BMW version will.
xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:48 PM   #40
walrond
Earth Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcr
I uploaded the list to my 550 and it shows up in the map list. If you turn it on, it will overlay the active map with named icons for all the dealers when you reach a suitable zoom. You can select the icon and add it to your favorites and all of the contact info will show up. The downside is that the 550 can't search through the dealer list like the BMW version will.

Thanks for trying it out.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #41
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
Simple question for you;
How much internal memory does a zumo 550 have ?

3 answers;
a North American zumo 550 has 1.2 GB
a European zumo 550 has 1.9 GB
an Australian zumo 550 has 486 MB

Really a zumo 550 is about the firmware featureset (text to speech etc) with the hardware varying
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote