User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
number9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
GPS tip - if you have one, read this.....

One of those "why didn't I think of that" things.........

Got this from another forum, thought I'd share.

Do not set the GPS point called "HOME" at/to your home address.

GPS' are expensive and small, making them prime targets for thieves. They're even breaking into cars just because they see a GPS mount (or even the tell-tale circle on the windshield from a suction cup mount).

Should a thief get yours, he might figure that you have more goodies at your house, so don't give him turn-by-turn directions right to it.

Set your 'Home' point at a near by intersection or at the police station. You don't need your GPS when you're in your home neighborhood anyway.

number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
It's a good tip, but I either don't leave the unlocked one on the bike, or the locked one is attached to something that has my vehicle registration attached to it (same with breaking in to the cage). If they want to find my house and are willing to break-in/steal there are other ways...

Just sayin' is all...

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:21 AM   #3
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by number9
One of those "why didn't I think of that" things.........

Got this from another forum, thought I'd share.

Do not set the GPS point called "HOME" at/to your home address.
Yeah, but -

It's the same reason why not to leave your registration slip in your car. But the law requires it to be produced and most of us don't carry it in our wallets.

I've never seen any reliable information that says that a thief has targeted people that way.

As for me, home is where my house is. And pressing the "find" button twice on my Garmin routes me there.

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:44 AM   #4
number9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
I think the whole point is.......say your bike has the gps on it and you are inside eating (or whatever). Thug walks by and snags it. Then decides he REALLY likes your bike too.......and wonders if you have any more bikes or toys he might like........wonder if you have a hot wife........and so on.

number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:39 AM   #5
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-950
I've never seen any reliable information that says that a thief has targeted people that way.
Article in the Daily Telegraph (UK) from August.

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:02 AM   #6
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,839
On the other hand, if it is lost, an honest person could return it to you. I entered my address on the opening page for that reason. Hopefully, that won't bite me in the ass.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:24 AM   #7
richc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,607
My home is wired with explosives. Crook breaks in, crook goes boom. End of story.

I got told the same thing for the GPS in my Porsche by the service guy. Don't set home in it, someone rips the car off and they know where you live, and given they've got your car it's not likely you're at home. Since I've never used the one built into the car, I don't think it'll be an issue.
richc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:31 AM   #8
Hotspice
Satellites not acquired

Oddometer: 5,518
I'm kind of lucky. I live right across the street from a Police Station.

My "Home" on the GPS is set using the Long & Lat from their parking lot.

Get a SmugMug account and use coupon code DwHE0pDRjpJfw to save yourself $5.
Hotspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:39 AM   #9
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybug
Article in the Daily Telegraph (UK) from August.
Touche.

But I will go back to my original premise - it's a hell of a lot more common to just reach in the glove box and look at the registration.

I'm not saying the DT is not a credible paper, but I do have a couple questions. Why would thieves, already stealing a car from a car park with thousands of cars in it, travel to someone's home to steal another car? And did they even use the GPS to guide them there (were they caught and confirmed that was it)? Still smacks of sensationalism and supposition to me.

I guess if your thieves are directionally challenged, the GPS will help them navigate.

Dave

dunno.....

9Dave screwed with this post 12-14-2007 at 04:09 AM
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:03 AM   #10
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,086
Quote:
Touche.

But I will go back to my original premise - it's a hell of a lot more common to just reach in the glove box and look at the registration.

I'm not saying the DT is not a credible paper, but I do have a couple questions. Why would thieves, already stealing a car from a car park with thousands of cars in it, travel to someone's home to steal another car? And did they even use the GPS to guide them there (were they caught and confirmed that was it)? Still smacks of sensationalism and supposition to me.

I guess if your thieves are directionally challenged, the GPS will help them navigate.

Dave
Agree, not a very well advised article. If their intent was paranoia, they completely missed the point of track logs - as they say, "all roads lead to Rome".

My registration is in the glovebox, most cars have the registration there, been that way with the same info since before the GPS, seems that would be more important, especially given that I never leave my GPS out in my cage.

The other thing that the local constabulary has been pointing out here, is to clean your windshield, and not leave suction cup marks. There have been a couple cases of smash and grabs, attributed to the pecker tracks on the glass from the mount. I'm a bean bag man, even with my zumo.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:52 PM   #11
dec
COOP

Oddometer: 98
Let 'em break in my home . . . I'm itching to try my new .45, thats if my wife don't get 'em with the .38 first.

Its actually a good point, but for some reason I just don't let things like this bother me in life . . .
dec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:23 PM   #12
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Yeah ya just can't rely on thieves to answer police survey's honestly.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:37 PM   #13
mrudy
"Let's Ride"

Oddometer: 277
Victim of GPS Theft

My truck was parked in my driveway over night with a Magellan GPS sitting in its cradle attached to the windshield with a suction cup. Guess I was just lazy and didn't like removing the GPS every night. The next morning, my window was smashed and the GPS was gone, along with cell phone charger. A victim of a smash and grab.

I'm a lot more careful with my new Garmin Zumo 550. I mounted the bracket to my dash, instead of the windshiled, and I remove it everytime I leave the vehicle.
05 KTM 450 EXC GONE
Pics at http://www.mrudy.smugmug.com
mrudy is offline   Reply With Quote