Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
Bad Company OP
Don't call me Shirley

Oddometer: 1,309
Garmin Quest 2

I'm going to get a quality GPS before spring and have been eyeballing the Garmin Quest 2. I like the prices I've seen on e-bay, and like the compact size. I'm pretty much lost in the technical world though. I really havn't seen the quest mentioned here very often and was wondering why.

I'm looking for a sturdy unit that I can lay out routes and help me get unlost. I'm on a KLR so vibration is an issue, I'm a bit agressive off road for a noob so a tip over is always a possibility whenever I'm out. If you don't think the quest is the way to go feel free to steer me in the right direction. Budget dictates 300-400$ as an outer limit.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
Kbike
Mountain Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Company
I'm going to get a quality GPS before spring and have been eyeballing the Garmin Quest 2. I like the prices I've seen on e-bay, and like the compact size. I'm pretty much lost in the technical world though. I really havn't seen the quest mentioned here very often and was wondering why.

I'm looking for a sturdy unit that I can lay out routes and help me get unlost. I'm on a KLR so vibration is an issue, I'm a bit agressive off road for a noob so a tip over is always a possibility whenever I'm out. If you don't think the quest is the way to go feel free to steer me in the right direction. Budget dictates 300-400$ as an outer limit.
I have a Quest 2 and have thousands of miles on it, on 4 different bikes, with no problems. It's slow and it's a pain to input letters and numbers with the toggle buttons, but it works great, has a lot of memory for extra maps plus the base map.
I wouldn't buy one again for $500, but maybe for $200. I use a Ram mount which works great on all my bikes (650 single, 1000 V-Twin, and 2 fours)
Old 12-22-2007, 10:17 PM   #3
Bad Company OP
Don't call me Shirley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbike
I have a Quest 2 and have thousands of miles on it, on 4 different bikes, with no problems. It's slow and it's a pain to input letters and numbers with the toggle buttons, but it works great, has a lot of memory for extra maps plus the base map.
I wouldn't buy one again for $500, but maybe for $200. I use a Ram mount which works great on all my bikes (650 single, 1000 V-Twin, and 2 fours)
Why do you need to input letters and numbers with the toggle buttons. Yes I am that daft.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:24 PM   #4
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,692
If you want to put in an address, you have to use the toggle button to navigate the letters on the screen. It doesn't have touch screen like some other GPSs and which many people prefer.

Like KBike said above, I thought my Quest 2 was very good at almost everything it did. It's small, versatile, and I like that it has an internal battery. The reason I sold mine was that, also as KBike said, is that the Quest is really freaking slow when calculating a route and occasionally even updating the screen as you drive along a road.

I sold mine on eBay for a bit more than $200, and I probably wouldn't buy another.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,964
Good question and answers. Guess I'll strike that one off the farkle list.
Osprey! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:09 AM   #6
Bad Company OP
Don't call me Shirley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie
Good question and answers. Guess I'll strike that one off the farkle list.
+1 here. I was somehow under the impression that it had a touch screen. Welp, the quest 2 is out. Anybody got a reccomendation for me. Remember that I am so technically deficient that I was once fired from a job for punching a computer. (the computer started it)
Old 12-23-2007, 05:16 AM   #7
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,692
I moved from the Quest 2 to the 2610 when EdgeGPS had them for less than $200. Chronologically, it's a step backwards. The Quest 2 is more polished.

That said, the 2610 is a higher-end unit, and I like it a lot. It's substantially bigger and heavier, which was a concern for me before I bought it, but now that I have it on the bike, size is hardly an issue. I can't pop it off and toss it in my pocket like I used to do with my Quest 2, but I think the 2610 is fairly secure in the Garmin mount with "locking" screw.

Your budget is a big factor here. The Zumo is a good model line to look at, but they're higher priced. Some people are still using the Garmin GPS V, which came out something like five or six years ago. It can be found in the $100 range today.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:50 AM   #8
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
i had a quest 1 and loved it. would still have it if it hadnt of gotten stolen. there were a few things i didnt like about it, but most of them were addressed in the quest 2. the biggest thing being the memory.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:20 AM   #9
reepicheep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Just another data point, I have and use a Quest 1 almost daily on a KLR-250 and a Buell XB9SX (two fairly high demand environments) and are very happy with them. I wouldn't pay $300 for one... but for $150 to $200 (going ebay rates) its probably the best flexible cheap unit, especially if it includes all the "original" parts (ac charger, car adapter, unlock codes, and MapSource).

I never had any problems with speed for routing, but the "find" feature can get slow if you don't type in much of the name of the place you are hunting.

It also runs like 10 hours on a single charge for it's internal lithium ion battery. It will stay water proof 1 meter under water for 1 hour.

It has good track logging, 10,000 points. I use that feature a lot more then I expected. It also allows true "multi point" routing... you can plot a specific route on your computer with mapsource, with special changes to hit all the twisty or interesting paths along your way, and when you send it to the GPS it stays intact. Many other GPS units will "helpfully" re-route you along those nice straight stretches of interstate :(

You aren't going to find any $150 GPS that is anywhere near as good as a Quest 1.

I did have some antenna problems, but they were fairly easy to correct by removing two screws and cleaning the hinge (it's just a small MCX connector).

In terms of $300 and up GPS units, I would not recommend the Quest. For $200 and below GPS adapters, its hard to imagine a better one.
reepicheep is offline   Reply With Quote