User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
fastblad OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
in the middle of my trip need help (have 1 day)

Hey guys, I am in the middle of my trip. I just got to Dallas from Miami. But my GPS system is given a lot of problems. It keeps given me a route that is not correct, I am going crazy. I have wasted more then 3 hours because of it. It is garmin pilot III GPS, the map source say it DC, MA, NY but it does show the map and given me some F*** rode.

I checked the map setting and it is not set on avoiding highway. What should I do, do I have to buy different map source information. Please if anyone knows post up, it is given me a hard time.
fastblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,623
Hope I can help, I don't quite understand your problem, as well as I'm not familiar with that GPS. I think it would be helpful to have more information.

You say the route it's giving you is not correct... "not correct" how? If I understand, you're trying to route to some particular location and it's routing you someplace else, or sending you far out of the way to get to that location.

You also say (I think) that the GPS has maps loaded for DC, MA, and NY, but you are in TX.

I think what's going on is that you don't have detailed map data loaded for where you are. When you attempt to route somewhere, the GPS is only able to route you with the basemap, which is much less detailed. If you are, for example, wanting to go to a particular address, the basemap will not have enough detail to route you on surface streets. Basemap information includes only the largest cities and the major roadways.

Although somewhat detailed GPS maps of Mexico are available (for purchase), since you are already partway into your ride, I wouldn't worry about it. I think it would be more hassle to try to get the maps and get them loaded into the GPS than it's worth.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:20 PM   #3
fastblad OP
Adventurer

i guess my GPS does not have the details i need. for example when i took a ride from miami to dallas, they told me to take HW26 instead of 49 and that cost me more then 2 hours of ridding.it is given me local road and old highway. i guess i might just buy a new GPS system but everything is closed tomorrow. anyway, i am going to the big bend park anyone have direction (best way), i am currently in dallas.

thanks
Old 12-24-2007, 05:41 PM   #4
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastblad
cost me more then 2 hours of ridding.it is given me local road and old highway.
It's a motorcycle trip. That's what you want. Don't worry about a couple hours here and there. That's just me.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:19 PM   #5
TomW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quickest way from Dallas is to take I-20 west to Odessa, then turn south on US-385. US-385 goes all the way to the park, although it merges with US-67 and I-10 for short distances along the way. For reference, if you stay on 385 you'll go through Crane and Fort Stockton (look for the statue of the roadrunner in Fort Stockton).

There are more scenic backroads, but that's beyond the scope of this note. I'd suggest buying a paper map until you can load the proper detail maps into your GPS.

Feeling adventurous? Have a compass? If you keep going south and a little west from Odessa you'll get there eventually (something like 200-250 miles).

Good luck.
'99 XR100
'00 Duke II
'10 R12GS

So many toads; so little rhyme
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:48 PM   #6
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,412
Hi,

Yes,

Go the old school way,get a US and individual state maps for the states you will pass through.

There is a great truckers road atlas out there,all pages laminated.
It's spiral bound,you can just undo the binding and use the sections you need,put the rest in the bottom of your bags for future use.
http://www.amazon.com/McNally-Motor-.../dp/0528900730
Should be available at any major truckstop.

If you need to reset the streetpilot III.
Master Reset:
Hold down the quit button, route button, and up on the rocker pad. Press power button, wait until you get the first
power-up screen then let go of the up and wait for the unit to come on fully then let go of the rest of the buttons.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:12 PM   #7
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,236
stop geeking out!!!!
buy paper maps, look for curves and have fun.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 12:09 PM   #8
fastblad OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Quickest way from Dallas is to take I-20 west to Odessa, then turn south on US-385. US-385 goes all the way to the park, although it merges with US-67 and I-10 for short distances along the way. For reference, if you stay on 385 you'll go through Crane and Fort Stockton (look for the statue of the roadrunner in Fort Stockton).

There are more scenic backroads, but that's beyond the scope of this note. I'd suggest buying a paper map until you can load the proper detail maps into your GPS.

Feeling adventurous? Have a compass? If you keep going south and a little west from Odessa you'll get there eventually (something like 200-250 miles).

Good luck.
please post up the backroad. i am not looking to spend more time on the HWY, if you have any other direction please let me know
Old 12-25-2007, 12:47 PM   #9
TomW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastblad
please post up the backroad. i am not looking to spend more time on the HWY, if you have any other direction please let me know
I'm not too familiar with the true backroads over there (it's 500 miles from my home turf), but the ones I've been on are 'nice'. Be aware that until you get near Big Bend, there are several hundred miles of very flat, very unchanging scenery. Watch out for deer and wind. Fuel may be scarce off the major roads.

As an alternate to the Interstate 20 route, you can try US-67 -- it goes from Dallas to the west side of Big Bend National Park. To go directly into the Park, turn south on US-385 in Fort Stockton (about 425 miles from Dallas). Or take the small backroads on a compass course of about 240 deg from Dallas and you'll get close. Get a paper map and check it out.

Good luck.
'99 XR100
'00 Duke II
'10 R12GS

So many toads; so little rhyme
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 04:02 PM   #10
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
stop geeking out!!!!
buy paper maps, look for curves and have fun.
Yup. Any Stop-n-Rob gas/conv store will have paper state maps for $5 or so. They work amazingly well...still after all these years.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 06:49 PM   #11
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z
It's a motorcycle trip. That's what you want. Don't worry about a couple hours here and there. That's just me.

Jamie
For some people the MC is just transportation.

Miami to Dallas is long enough,a couple of extra hours is a couple of extra hours.

Wish I had enough info to help with the GPS info.

Maybe buy a nuvi 200 and a ziplock bag to get home.
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote