User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2008, 05:32 AM   #1
kittycactus OP
Banned

Oddometer: 578
Dirt Bike History 101

Hello everyone. Iím on a mission and Iím hoping you can help me out. My mission is to learn about the history of dirt bikes on the market from the 60ís through the 80ís. Why? Just curiosity mostly, and my ever growing love for all things dirty and muddy on two wheels. Iíve ridden for about 8 years solid now, some street, but mostly off road (trail and woods riding and some dual sporting). My first dirt bike was a 1981 RM125 and presently I have a 2002 KX100 and a 2007 TE250. Iím considering trying the Family Enduro series this spring and Iím fascinated by the trials bikes and would love to try one at some point. In short, I started in the dirt and thatís where my interests lie. So thereís my very brief history and now Iím curious about your roots. So hereís what I would like to know if youíre willing:

What dirt bikes did you own during the 60ís through the 80ís?
What can you tell me about the history of those bikes ( i.e. how many years was it produced [from when to when], what characteristics or quirks were unique to it, what was itís demise, what model superseded or replaced it, what famous riders of the day also rode it, etc.).
What kind of riding were you into on these bikes and did you compete with it and if so, what (hare scrambles, motocross, enduros, trials, flat trackers, etc.)?

Lastly, would love to see pictures of those bikes you owned or representative examples. Iím sure Iím leaving out things, but I hope you get the idea. Thanks!
kittycactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:07 AM   #2
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,007
great thread title and its high time something like this got rolling. the last thing I need is another diversion to stare at a computer screen but what the heck. by the time we get done here they'll print it as a book over on smugmug.

as the captions in Dirt Bike used to say, "when the green flag drops the bullshit stops", although it never worked that way.

hey my firts bike was 5 up not one down 4 up. you know you used to tell people your gear shift pattern when they were taking your bike for a first ride?
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
nachtflug
infidel

before we get rolling...one of the things that I pondered whilst driving to work today about this topic, was the role the dealer (or lack of) played, meaning, not everybody had access to all 4 major japanese brands "back in the day" (some place still don't even now) on top of the very random chance close proximity of a european brand dealer.

We cut our teeth at a Kawasaki/Bultaco dealer, and also Yamaha, although we did also have a Suzuki dealer in town who was selling Penton and Husqvarna.

I could be wrong but I heard Moroneys was the 1st Suzuki dealer in the US?

We never had a Maico or a CZ dealer locally, so seeing lots of CZ's and Maicos at the races was really captivating given the aura of unobtanium about them.

couple with that, the Honda factor.

even though we didn't have a Honda dealer close by it wouldn't have mattered, as Honda (from my perspective of 1970/71/72) was not considered a "real dirt bike" until the 1973 Elsinore came out and changed everything overnight.

they really were considered a...soft,.... not serious,....geek bike?

But I know that Honda's weren't totally out of it pre 1973 as Rod Peck has posted some SWEET pics of him on his 350 circa early 70's. But I think that was more out west as modifying a 350 for dirt use would have been much more practical than in the east given the terrain.

which brings up another point about California and the role it played in the course of...Dirt Bike History 101.

Has anyone seen Gary Chaplin? Bruce MacDougal?

We've got a lot of material to cover.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
Trailing Jack
Dr. Acula

Oddometer: 1,122
This thread really hits home.
First bike - 1970 Honda SL100, orange, low pipe, blew it up trying to climb a wet grassy hill. Wore a white open face Buco helmet.
Next up - '71 175DT1 Yamaha "enduro". The gold one. Stripped off the lights, painted it silver(?), Preston Petty "mudder" fender on the front. Began to learn motocross skills. Black helmet (can't remember what brand) with the cool snap on face shield.

1974 CR125 Honda Elsinore. Dream bike. $749 out the door. Bought the red/white/blue helmet, jersey,and leathers (they were leather!) so I could pretend to be Marty Smith.

Started racing against my folk's wishes. Moderate success - some of the best times of my life. Best track we had was Central PA Motocross Park, Stormstown (State College) PA. Regulars included John Savitski, Bevo Forte, and on occassion Mickey Kessler.
During this fertile time, my buddies and I regularly went to Lexington Ohio where they raced the 125 USGP and Trans-AMA races every year at the now long gone Mid-Ohio motocross facility. Saw an epic battle with Marty Smith and Bob Hannah dicing for the lead while they were kicking then-world champ Gaston Rahier's ass. Saw DeCoster come from way behind in a mud bath Trans-AM to challenge for the lead only to lose his rear fender (from the weight of the mud) and have his airbox suck mud causing a DNF. Right in front of us. He was wearing white coveralls over his leathers. Seems like yesterday.
Also collected all the Dirt Bike and MX Action mags - during the days of Super Hunky and the BAZ. - Still have most of 'em.
Back to the bikes- next up 1978 Yamaha 125YZE. Changed to the new leather/nylon JT leathers. Still have 'em along with my Full Bore boots.
Racing career ended about this time corresponding with knee surgury.

Other bikes since have include bigger, faster dirt bikes in the later 80's but nothing can compare (for me) to those days and those bikes.
Thanks for starting this thread, Flug, and bringing back great times.

Chuck

Trailing Jack screwed with this post 02-11-2012 at 01:10 AM
Trailing Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
But I know that Honda's weren't totally out of it pre 1973 as Ron Peck has posted some SWEET pics of him on his 350 circa early 70's.

thats what I'm talking about. an advrider since 2003 with 63 posts and has stuff like this in his dossier.

just a stunning vintage shot that sums up a LOT about circa 1970 japanese bikes competing against european bikes as seen in the backround of this superb shot.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing Jack

Chuck
dude.

I knew I could count on you.

but the credit for the thread goes to catcuskitty who was patient enough to sift through some BS in Jomomma and then asking some good questions about "dirt bikes". I suggested she start a thread here as I thought her relatively newer perspective of "dirt bikes" would provide a good chalk board to work on and with minus the distraction of some of those "idiots" in jomomma.

this will be fun.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
Trailing Jack
Dr. Acula

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
dude.

I knew I could count on you.

this will be fun.

Amen to that, my brother!
Try to stay here and away from the morass that is JM!
Old 01-21-2008, 11:37 AM   #8
Roadslayer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
attn. KittyCactus.

Hope this vintage dirtbike site helps.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...2&tbnw=82&prev=

'Cheers' Roadslayer

Or this.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG

Roadslayer screwed with this post 01-21-2008 at 11:42 AM Reason: more info
Roadslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:44 AM   #9
kittycactus OP
Banned

Hey thanks for the responses so far! I do realize there are some great threads here and that some of the information Iím looking for is already here, but most of my available free time is at home and we live in BFE and we have dial up ... and after spending a half hour and successfully loading a whooping three pages of a thread that has 1000+ posts, my attention span snaps and I loose heart. I am sincere in wanting to learn and would appreciate your help. Iím doing some reading on my own and trying to educate myself, but hearing about personal experiences with the bikes Iím wanting to learn about and seeing pictures of them really drives it home. Thanks again!
Old 01-21-2008, 12:08 PM   #10
modre
Banned

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
What dirt bikes did you own during the 60ís through the 80ís?
my first dirt bike was a 1966 500 triumph T100C single carb 2 into 1 pipe on the left, brother had a BSA 441 Victor...this was before the Japanese dirt bikes cam in.

then had a 72-3 (the grey one) 360 Yamaha Enduro . nice engine crap for handling but bullet proof

a '66 Bultaco Sherpa S 125 was a riot...an old race bike that was drilled everywhere for lightness 26 hp at the crank and a flat track slider

and the last was a 73 Penton Jackpiner w/175 KTM
Attached Images

modre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #11
Trailing Jack
Dr. Acula

tee shirts

here's one from the mecca of all things vintage dirt bike...Vintage Motorcycle Days in Lexington Ohio. If you've never been there, you're cheating yourself.

and one from last year...Mr Flug and myself spent a couple of days wandering around at VMD collecting these autographs.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #12
kittycactus OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing Jack
Pruned from "nachtflug's motorcycle thread" (now with pictures!) which has contributions from lots of folks with the info you're looking for....

Trailing Jack
Not really Steve

Oddometer: 433 This thread really hits home.
I can't post pictures (although I have bunches of 'em) here's some '70's memories...
First bike - 1970 Honda SL100, orange, low pipe, blew it up trying to climb a wet grassy hill. Wore a white open face Buco helmet.
Next up - '71 175DT1 Yamaha "enduro". The gold one. Stripped off the lights, painted it silver(?), Preston Petty "mudder" fender on the front. Began to learn motocross skills. Black helmet (can't remember what brand) with the cool snap on face shield.

1974 CR125 Honda Elsinore Dream bike. $749 out the door. Bought the red/white/blue helmet, jersey,and leathers (they were leather!) so I could pretend to be Marty Smith.

Started racing against my folk's wishes. Moderate success - some of the best times of my life. Best track we had was Central PA Motocross Park, Stormstown (State College) PA. Regulars included John Savitski, Bevo Forte, and on occassion Mickey Kessler.
During this fertile time, my buddies and I regularly went to Lexington Ohio where they raced the 125 USGP and Trans-AMA races every year at the now long gone Mid-Ohio motocross facility. Saw an epic battle with Marty Smith and Bob Hannah dicing for the lead while they were kicking then-world champ Gaston Rahier's ass. Saw DeCoster come from way behind in a mud bath Trans-AM to challenge for the lead only to lose his rear fender (from the weight of the mud) and have his airbox suck mud causing a DNF. Right in front of us. He was wearing white coveralls over his leathers. Seems like yesterday.
Also collected all the Dirt Bike and MX Action mags - during the days of Super Hunky and the BAZ. - Still have most of 'em.
Back to the bikes- next up 1978 Yamaha 125YZE. Changed to the new leather/nylon JT leathers. Still have 'em along with my Full Bore boots.
Racing career ended about this time corresponding with knee surgury.

Other bikes since have include bigger, faster dirt bikes in the later 80's but nothing can compare (for me) to those days and those bikes.

Chuck
Okay, I was able to actually read this in peace and enjoy it. What great information! Thanks for sharing that. Okay, first truely clueless question, who was Super Hunky?
Old 01-21-2008, 05:56 PM   #13
ADK
abluted

Oddometer: 8,167
Super Hunky (Rick Sieman) is the creator and original editor of Dirt Bike magazine. google his name, there is plenty about him on the web.

ADK screwed with this post 01-21-2008 at 11:11 PM
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:36 PM   #14
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycactus
Okay, first truely clueless question, who was Super Hunky?
he's kind of like our John Madden...
Old 01-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #15
Solaros1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,229
The first "real" dirt bikes that many of us old guys ever experienced were very far removed from what anyone could consider as a dirt bike today. Back before my time the Harley Sportsters and Triumph Trophys were considered dirt bikes except for a few English 350cc and 500cc singles.

For those of us who entered motorcycling in the mid-sixties the first dirt bike we were exposed to were the Honda CL72's and CL77's (or the Trail 90). The Honda 305 Scrambler was a high piped 350lb twin with a generous 3-1/2" of travel in the front fork. It won Baja, introduced thousands of us to off-road adventures, left burn scars on the inside of our left leg when it fell on us and made a glorious sound unlike any bike before or since. They were big, (relatively) fast and looked cool and it was my first motorcycle. It was true pig off road but when you're sixteen who cares - it was fun.

Yamaha changed the world when it introduced the DT-1 250cc in 1968. Sure there were other two stoke dirt bikes out there (who can forget Hodakas?) but the DT-1 was the first mass produced, relatively light motorcycle that was available in huge quantities to feed the growing off-road market. At one time almost half the guys I knew who had motorcycles owned a DT-1 (myself included). They didn't handle that well and you fell down a lot but they really dragged a lot of guys into the sport.

Then came "On Any Sunday" and Huskys became the thing to have - a friend of mine got a Husky 360 - he was the fastest guy in the pack without question. I bought an Ossa - it came equipped with knobbys and better suspension than the Yamaha and I stopped falling down so much. The dirt bike world exploded with new models coming out faster than you could keep track but I'd say those old 305 Hondas were the seed bike for a lot of us fifty-somethings.
Solaros1 is offline   Reply With Quote