Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #46
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithiltaen
German SS troops had their blood type tattooed on their left arm, as they thought it was quite useful (and it was, at least until the Russians found out and started killing everybody with such a tattoo) I have some friends on the military and a couple of them have this tattoo as well: it is a very simple tattoo, just saying "0-" or whatever, but it's visible enough to be seen if you are on the surgery table.

I've got a question myself: what do you do if you have a mechanical problem you don't know how to fix (or just can't), and there's nobody to help you? As you can guess, I'm not exactly a master engineer...

And yeah, I mean an answer beyond "you walk"
As a Soldier, todays moder medicine Blood type isn't a factor in the ER. Even on the battle field. Sometimes you see Soldiers wearing their blood type on their uniform, but any medic or doctor will tell there's no point in when dealing with trauma.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:11 AM   #47
Lightemup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddaddy
As a Soldier, todays moder medicine Blood type isn't a factor in the ER. Even on the battle field. Sometimes you see Soldiers wearing their blood type on their uniform, but any medic or doctor will tell there's no point in when dealing with trauma.
Its all about the CDI factor man..

(Chicks Dig It) ;)
Lightemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:08 PM   #48
zane121
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Wow all great ideas. I'm not too worried about being caught out alone somewhere but I do worry about lying unconscious in a hospital. I still carry my dog tags in my vest, a contact card in my helmet, ICE on my cell. I'm comfortable in that. Now for training on what to do if you're in a isolated area and your bike stops running or you get hurt a good emergency kit will help a great deal. you can buy them premade or on line. Of course for training call me for your adv rider discount:P

zane121 screwed with this post 03-23-2008 at 10:22 PM
zane121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #49
klrbaer
Tim

Oddometer: 280
As a Fireman and EMT the best option would be to have the dogtags or the info around the neck, or the tattoo on the upper chest. Quiet honestly, at the accident scene alot of things get moved and removed from the pt and quite often the medical tags or the medical bracelett come in very handy. I had a pt last summer that was on his new to him R6 and he took out a 4x4 mail box post with his leg. He was concsous but just kept screeming about his leg and we got our info from the medical braclett he was wearing.
God Bless us all.
88 NX 125, 99 Valkyrie, 02 KLR
Pulling my homebuilt monowheel
klrbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #50
MegMeg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I saw this mentioned in a old thread from 2006 and I think it's worth mentioning again. It's a brilliant idea and I plan to order one. I believe the inventor of this is a member here.

ResQTag

It has all the information first responders need and is easy to see and locate (red tag on your jacket zipper), which is perhaps the most important part. I can tell you from experience that the laminated "in case of emergency" card that you might have in your jacket pocket, pants pocket, wallet, or tank bag is absolutely useless in an accident. Fortunately I was conscious to tell the paramedics what they needed to know.

Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. Cadet Maxim
MegMeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:46 PM   #51
spqr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
I have combined both my own morbid sense of humor, and the concern of family members. On the back and side of my helmet is written: "If found w/o rider please call [My cell phone] If found on rider please call [A Different number]." THis has served two purposes, my ICE is on the one item I am not seperated, and when a girl askes who the the other number is I can tell her it is my mom. It works wonders.

Dog tags are a problem outside the US as I do not want to be ID'd as a US Storm Trooper. Depending on my travels I may leave them at home.

The problem is that the information has to be Durable and Available (Thus the phone numbers are on two places on my helmet).

I will probaly record critical medical information in the same format found on Shot Records and Passports, on a metal tag that is stored on or in my boot.
spqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:01 AM   #52
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by spqr
I have combined both my own morbid sense of humor, and the concern of family members. On the back and side of my helmet is written: "If found w/o rider please call [My cell phone] If found on rider please call [A Different number]." THis has served two purposes, my ICE is on the one item I am not seperated, and when a girl askes who the the other number is I can tell her it is my mom. It works wonders.

Dog tags are a problem outside the US as I do not want to be ID'd as a US Storm Trooper. Depending on my travels I may leave them at home.

The problem is that the information has to be Durable and Available (Thus the phone numbers are on two places on my helmet).

I will probaly record critical medical information in the same format found on Shot Records and Passports, on a metal tag that is stored on or in my boot.
Nice first post.

What do you use to write on your helmet with that doesn't fade or wash off in bad weather?

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:49 PM   #53
donny662
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
This is a lot of great information regarding things I haven't really considered before. Now, I will be better prepared when going on a trip.

Although, I am a little concerned about keeping personal information such as passport, DL, and credit card copies in an easily readable electronic format. If someone gets a hold of it, they could do a lot of damage before you realize and can take measures to stop it.

Any information that isn't needed by a first responder or hospital staff should be encrypted/password protected. Leaving sensitive information unencrypted is the same as tatooing it on yourself. Anyway, if you need that sensitive information, you will most likely be conscious and able to enter/give the password. You can leave the password with your ICE contact in the unlikely event that your sensitive information is needed and you are unable to give the password yourself.

The easiest and most universal way to encryt your data is to put it in a password protected .zip file. Use a program such as WinZip, WinRAR, or 7-zip to create the password protected zip file. Windows XP can even create a password protected file.

Instructions for Windows XP:
Step 1:

Gather all of the electronic copies of documents that you want to take with you but don't want to be accessible without your permission into the same folder.

Step 2:

Highlight the files that you want to be password protected/encrypted. Right click on the selected files, goto "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) folder".

Step 3:

A file with the extension .zip will be created. If you cannot see file extensions, you will notice an additional file in the list with the same name as another file but it will have a different icon: a folder with a zipper on it (you may not have the same icon if you have a program such as WinZip, WinRAR, etc. installed). You can change the name of your newly created .zip file to whatever you want.

Step 4:

Double-click on your new .zip file to open it (if a program such as WinZip opens instead of what is shown in the screenshot, right click on the .zip file, go to "Open With", and click on "Compressed (zipped) folders".) You should see in the address bar the icon zipped folder icon and "[Path to your zip file]\[name of your zip file].zip" (circled in red on screenshot).

Step 5:

With the .zip file opened properly, click on "File" and then "Add a Password...".

Step 6:

A window should pop-up asking you to add a password to your zip file. The pop-up may be buried under a few windows (it was for me); just move windows out of the way until you find it. Remember to choose a good password that is not easily guessable, is a combination of letters and numbers, and is one that you can remember (or give it to your SO or someone else you can contact if you forget). Do not write the password down and keep it on yourself or your belongings.

Step 7:

Copy your new .zip file to your SD card, USB drive, Floppy disk, etc. and you're done! It's not that hard to keep your data safe while on the road. Now, when you go to access a document in your .zip file, it should prompt you for a password no matter what program or computer you use to access it.

Not much can make for a sour homecoming to a good trip like a burned down house or a stolen identity.
donny662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #54
crackhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Not all computers have SW that can unzip .zip files correct??
crackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #55
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Windows Vista Home Premium doesn't give you an option to password protect the .zip file.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:59 PM   #56
elgreen
Crotchety Contrarian

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide
Windows Vista Home Premium doesn't give you an option to password protect the .zip file.
Use WinZip to create the zip file, it has the option to password protect the zip file. You should include the pkzip program itself on the flash, maybe multiple versions of it for multiple versions of Windows and MacOS, in case the computer you plug it into is too old to read new-fangled zips, or too crippled (in the case if Vista Home). Stuffit Expander is probably the easiest one here, since it's free (unlike WinZip) and has both Mac and Windows versions. Use Teh Google to find out where to download these.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:36 AM   #57
donny662
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhead
Not all computers have SW that can unzip .zip files correct??
Anything running Windows XP will be able to unzip, but it is possible that you'll find a computer that isn't equipped to unzip. I think anywhere but the most remote of locations in US/Canada/Western Europe (I guess I'm not entirely sure that .zip files are as popular in Europe as they are in the States) will have computers that have a program installed for opening a .zip. You will more likely run into trouble in the less developed countries, and then, those computers might not be able to view the .jpg/.pdf/etc. files that your documents are stored as, anyway.

7-zip and Zip Genius are a couple more free Win-Zip like alternatives for creating and opening password protected .zip files. I use 7-zip on my own computers; you just have to make sure you are creating a .zip file as the program defaults to its own .7z format.
donny662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #58
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegMeg
I saw this mentioned in a old thread from 2006 and I think it's worth mentioning again. It's a brilliant idea and I plan to order one. I believe the inventor of this is a member here.

ResQTag

It has all the information first responders need and is easy to see and locate (red tag on your jacket zipper), which is perhaps the most important part. I can tell you from experience that the laminated "in case of emergency" card that you might have in your jacket pocket, pants pocket, wallet, or tank bag is absolutely useless in an accident. Fortunately I was conscious to tell the paramedics what they needed to know.
CycleGadgets.com will give you a small waterproof envelope that attaches to your helmet when you purchase something from their site. My brother-in-law is an EMT and he tells me that they are trained to look for these and medic alert braclets and necklaces.
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #59
quadjohn
Mud is the way

Oddometer: 39
i think you all save lifes with your posts.
Gongratulations!!!!!!!!!!

KTM 640R ADVENTURE!!!!!!!!!
KFX 400 KAWASAKI-QUAD!!!!
quadjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:07 PM   #60
pookiebear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
On the ZIP files so you know, it costs about $20 to buy software that will pop that password. IF you are a scrounger/techie you can get the software for free. Password=no good (not encrypted enough). Encrypt those docs!
pookiebear is offline   Reply With Quote