Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2008, 10:54 PM   #676
winterhk
*Disminuya Su Velocidad*

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor5x
Just curious what your thoughts are now that it's done? How's the fit and finish? I was considering powdercoating mine but rustoleum would be a hellofa lot cheap. Then again I don't want it to chip and look like crap.
+1
Old 03-16-2008, 11:54 PM   #677
Trevor5x
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Last ride before the tire change...got a little snow on some bald Gripsters

Greetings from Corvallis

With the new Distanzia's

First tire change for me, so I decided I was going to head to a big ass parking lot to help get them conditioned. Reser Stadium fit the bill

Stay off the clutch!
Trevor5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:16 AM   #678
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

Oddometer: 1,282
Quote:
Just curious what your thoughts are now that it's done? How's the fit and finish? I was considering powdercoating mine but rustoleum would be a hellofa lot cheap. Then again I don't want it to chip and look like crap.
I'm reasonably impatient with stuff like this. I know I'll be replacing the spokes and tires when I wear these out, so I just taped off the spoke nipples and tires and shot 'em. Strangely, they look factory; gorgeous! They look just like you'd buy them that way. Anyway, my thought was that I'd do a really good job when I had the tires pulled off, but I honestly don't think it'd have turned out any better.

My thoughts on the matter are this: I wanted to powdercoat my rims too, but they flex anyway; and flexy surfaces and powdercoating are not good friends. Further, powdercoating is expensive, and I know this bike will get beat up... espeically the rims. How much work is it for me to shoot 'em again every so often with a cheap can of paint? Less than a new set of rims or powdercoating for sure.

So, I'm glad I did it. I can easily repair/refurbish the rim color myself in just a few minutes if I need to. The beauty of these bikes though is that they can look a little beat... they're supposed to look a little beat. They look perfect right now, but I don't expect it to last a really long time.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Johnny KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:49 AM   #679
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny KLR

My thoughts on the matter are this: I wanted to powdercoat my rims too, but they flex anyway; and flexy surfaces and powdercoating are not good friends. Further, powdercoating is expensive, and I know this bike will get beat up... espeically the rims. How much work is it for me to shoot 'em again every so often with a cheap can of paint? Less than a new set of rims or powdercoating for sure.
Yep, that's why most colored rims are anodized not powdered.
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:13 AM   #680
Dr.BillyBA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
A word of advice from someone who painted a set of rims once and will never do it again. If you do ANY offroading with your bike the paint is not going to stay on. It will chip from the rocks and rough terrain and if you get into deep mud consider your paint gone. Also the first tire change you have to do and you will wish you had never bought that black rattle can of paint! Just my 2 cents worth of what I went through with a painted set of rims.
Dr.BillyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:24 AM   #681
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky123
Yep, that's why most colored rims are anodized not powdered.
This is my next stop. When I get the new set (eventually) of Excel rims, I'm going to drop these off at the local anodizing shop. Been through too many mountain bike parts; anodizing is certainly the way to go.

But, the truth of the matter is that I mostly commute on the bike, and I'm just doing cosmetic stuff. I don't expect it'll stay all that well, but it looks good now! I'm pretty realistic about its longevity; that's why this will be my 'road' set of wheels with tame DOT rubber on it.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

Old 03-17-2008, 06:26 AM   #682
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

Quote:
I noticed you have your tail light tucked up under the fender, just the way mine was. Is there some particular reason for that? I moved mine further out to give the tire a little more clearance to stop munching on the license plate, and also to expose more of the tail light for increased visibility. Did I make a mistake in this regard?

Old 03-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #683
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
I tucked my taillight up under my fender after another BRP buddy of mine suggested. Stays better protected in a tip over. I actually busted the edge of my light on my first ride and drop!

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute

brad21 screwed with this post 03-17-2008 at 08:12 AM
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #684
Trevor5x
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
I noticed you have your tail light tucked up under the fender, just the way mine was. Is there some particular reason for that? I moved mine further out to give the tire a little more clearance to stop munching on the license plate, and also to expose more of the tail light for increased visibility. Did I make a mistake in this regard?
To be honest, that's how it was when I bought the bike from my brother. But what brad said does make sense about it being a little more protected tucked up under...but if you're mostly street (as am I) either way is probably just fine.

Stay off the clutch!
Trevor5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #685
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

I think I'll work on fabbing up a little guard of some type. I don't wanna re-drill my fender, but I do want to protect the light as much as possible. Of course, I also want to protect my backside on the road as much as possible too!

Old 03-17-2008, 01:54 PM   #686
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Quote:
I think I'll work on fabbing up a little guard of some type. I don't wanna re-drill my fender, but I do want to protect the light as much as possible. Of course, I also want to protect my backside on the road as much as possible too!
You don't have to re-drill anything except the plastic support underneath the fender. Pull the bolts in the fender, slide that black fender/support forward and drill away! Four new holes in that thing underneath won't matter...

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
Old 03-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #687
Moto-ZTech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Black Side Panels XR650R?

Where did you get the black side panels for your XR650R? No air mods?
Moto-ZTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:26 PM   #688
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21
You don't have to re-drill anything except the plastic support underneath the fender. Pull the bolts in the fender, slide that black fender/support forward and drill away! Four new holes in that thing underneath won't matter...
Good thinking. You know, the undertray actually fit better further back. I'm not convinced I'll move it; I suspect I'll have to break one first

Old 03-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #689
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Quote:
Good thinking. You know, the undertray actually fit better further back. I'm not convinced I'll move it; I suspect I'll have to break one first
Fits fine slid forward. Those taillights are expensive to replace!

Old 03-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #690
B DIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
Hey guys I just laced up a set of black pro wheels, my stock rims were shot! The front was bent so many times and the rear had a huge crack in it.