Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2008, 01:49 AM   #91
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B
OK, as promised, here are pics of the one we're testing. This is the 'model' (which is made of fibreglass, plywood, metal and filler !!) and will now be used to make the split molds in order to produce them. There are still some minor 'tweeks' to do, but largely this is it.
OOoooo nice.

why the abandonment of the aux lights, though?
JAFO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:58 AM   #92
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
Sold !
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:44 AM   #93
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Quote:
Another
BTW- what tires are those on the bike?
Old 03-31-2008, 08:53 AM   #94
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO
OOoooo nice.

why the abandonment of the aux lights, though?
It turned out that the twin Hella's cost roughly the same as the aux lights, so there seemed little point in a setup that would give less light, for more money, using more power. We did consider retaining the necelles so that the unit could have Aux lights as well, but decided that the power consumption would be 'off the map' at 165watts.

In the event that guys wanted more light, any of the commercialy available mini lamps will easily attach to the bottom of the fairing (there is a 'shelf' there), but you'll need either HID or a big stator.
Ian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:17 AM   #95
intheways
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
BTW- what tires are those on the bike?
Metzeler Karoos, I think.

Sweet fairing Ian! Right now, I'm working on a single headlight sort of setup, but if that doesn't plan out, I will be looking your way.
intheways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:34 AM   #96
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Quote:
The fairing kit will include the twin Hella lights (pre fitted) and a wiring harness taking power directly from the battery and activated by the OEM lighting circuit via relays. We are considering adding a small junction/fuse box to allow for other power consumers (GPS , Acc socket etc) to draw power from the same source behind the fairing (all nice and neat).

I'm not an electrical guru, but is the battery designed to take that kind of constant load? If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the stock lighting harness draw its power directly, instead of through the battery?

Just wondering if this poses any problems.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:43 AM   #97
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetour
Thought so. Just ordered a set for my bike.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:44 AM   #98
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
I'm not an electrical guru, but is the battery designed to take that kind of constant load? If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the stock lighting harness draw its power directly, instead of through the battery?

As with all vehicles with an alternator, the alternator runs the bike and charges the battery.

The battery is only there for starting the bike.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:57 AM   #99
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,202
Quote:
As with all vehicles with an alternator, the alternator runs the bike and charges the battery.

The battery is only there for starting the bike.
He's got a point, though. The extra light (if they both indeed run simultaneously) will draw more of the alternator's output.

The addition of just one light should be fine, but not much else I don't think.

I've killed my battery a couple times running extra lighting, but that was 2, not just 1 additional.
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:08 AM   #100
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,202
Quote:
It turned out that the twin Hella's cost roughly the same as the aux lights, so there seemed little point in a setup that would give less light, for more money, using more power. We did consider retaining the necelles so that the unit could have Aux lights as well, but decided that the power consumption would be 'off the map' at 165watts.

In the event that guys wanted more light, any of the commercialy available mini lamps will easily attach to the bottom of the fairing (there is a 'shelf' there), but you'll need either HID or a big stator.
Hey Ian, it would significantly drive the price up, but having the unit equipped with an HID headlight would fix another common problem the KLR faces, fairly low "extra power" available.

Whad'ya think?

IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:01 AM   #101
Liamderthal
Braaaaiiinnnss!!!

Oddometer: 150

I like it! Form AND function. It's amazing how just replacing the old square headlight with a twin set makes such an improvement on looks.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:04 AM   #102
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

just wait for LED headlight bulbs to come out. Won't be long.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:46 PM   #103
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule

The OEM lights are wired from the battery via the ignition. The battery will have no problem powering the lights, but more to the point, can the alternator keep up with charging the battery. This is likely to be an issue of usage. Although these new H7 bulbs draw 65w, the existing setup will hardly notice the difference. However, if you're riding on High beam as well for extended periods, along with heated grips and vest, then there may be an issue. We are doing tests on this now.

In any event, it's better to leave the existing wiring alone (it has a dubious reputation at best !) and run good quality 12 guage separately for any significant increase on demand.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:59 PM   #104
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

[quote=Rode2Nowhere]Hey Ian, it would significantly drive the price up, but having the unit equipped with an HID headlight would fix another common problem the KLR faces, fairly low "extra power" available.

Whad'ya think?

Yeah, you're right. We considered HID only from the outset, but found out that these lamps easily convert if necessary. The thing is that guys have such a variation in uses that we felt it was best to leave HID as an 'option'.

For example : if someone has just forked out for a stator upgrade, they certainly won't want to fork out for HID as well, if it's not necessary. On the other hand, if someone is considering a stator upgrade, they may decide to go HID on this fairing and save the money on the stator.

We've still got guys emailing us saying they don't ride at night and would rather stick with the OEM headlight and just have the fairing (although, I think this will be the minority).

At the end of the day, we hope to have a range of choices to suit the needs of most people. In the meantime, we're going to play around with HID bulb conversions on this unit and see if we can make it work ecconomically.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:01 PM   #105
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetour

Sweet fairing Ian! Right now, I'm working on a single headlight sort of setup, but if that doesn't plan out, I will be looking your way.
Yep, Karoos