ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2008, 08:28 AM   #91
tafflink
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgsnw
works fine in the current version, didn't in older versions...are you running 2.0.0.3 ?
Yes, I am running 2.0.0.3. Checked again last night, and if I click on the binoculars, the program crashes. If I click on the "Find" menu > "Find Place", I get the following screen, with no place to enter any info.
Attached Images

tafflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #92
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarminMac
The CN EU Map Update that came out earlier this year is cross platform and it installs to both Mac and your device. All future releases of CN EU will be Mac compatible as well.
Remember now, I am a village idiot

I've just bought a Zumo 550, and it came with CN Europe NT 2008.1. Do I take it that this version still requires me to put the maps onto a Windows machine and convert them, rather than install them directly onto the Mac? Currently copying across to a USB key to install on the old Dell, just in case

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:48 PM   #93
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybug
Remember now, I am a village idiot

I've just bought a Zumo 550, and it came with CN Europe NT 2008.1. Do I take it that this version still requires me to put the maps onto a Windows machine and convert them, rather than install them directly onto the Mac? Currently copying across to a USB key to install on the old Dell, just in case
Why not just try it on the mac first? Sounds like it should be compatible.
Brent4ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #94
rallybug
Local Yokel

Did it on the dell now - there didn't seem to be a compatible file for MapInstall or whatever to use. Just need to start playing with it now - although might wait on the registration front to see if 2009 for Europe will be out soon

Bit of a heavy learning curve, this

My Ride Reports

rallybug screwed with this post 04-24-2008 at 03:24 PM
Old 04-24-2008, 04:49 PM   #95
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by tafflink
Yes, I am running 2.0.0.3. Checked again last night, and if I click on the binoculars, the program crashes. If I click on the "Find" menu > "Find Place", I get the following screen, with no place to enter any info.
Please check your pm's, I am sending you a few questions. Thanks, Brian.
GarminMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:53 PM   #96
tafflink
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarminMac
Please check your pm's, I am sending you a few questions. Thanks, Brian.
Brian,
I've answered and sent the log.
Thanks.
tafflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #97
Bimjo
Crashes at zero speed...

Oddometer: 321
Hey Brian, welcome to the forum.

Something for the wishlist- Provide the ability to input the unit into Bobcat/Mapsource so that the routing options match.

It is beyond aggravating to spend a lot of time planning a route only to have the unit destroy it because the only options are "fastest" and "shortest" while the software has many more options.

I'm using a 60Cx BTW.

Thanks for listening!
Bimjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:14 AM   #98
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimjo

Something for the wishlist- Provide the ability to input the unit into Bobcat/Mapsource so that the routing options match.

It is beyond aggravating to spend a lot of time planning a route only to have the unit destroy it because the only options are "fastest" and "shortest" while the software has many more options.

I'm using a 60Cx BTW.

Thanks for listening!
+1 I'd vote for that also, so annoying!
Old 04-25-2008, 10:20 AM   #99
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimjo

I'm using a 60Cx BTW.

Thanks for listening!
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Brian, which are the "newer" and which are the "older" units? I guess what I'm asking is for a feature to force Bobcat to emulate routing as an "older" handheld would route... (I know, I know... the better solution is to buy a newer unit )

That way you could test your route, virtually "prerunning" it in Bobcat, instead of transferring it to your handheld, and letting it route in Demo mode, or even worse, getting out on your ride and finding out that instead of the twisty dirt road Bobcat routed you down, your handheld decided to take you through the suburban shopping mall parking lot via the interstate.
Sumpin tells me this ain't gonna happen.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:46 AM   #100
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Me too!

Sumpin tells me this ain't gonna happen.
Why not just use enough waypoints so that it can only route the way you want it to?
Old 04-25-2008, 12:20 PM   #101
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Brian,
Just wondering if ya'll are planning on implementing a filtering tool to accompany the track tool in Bobcat so that tracks can be shrunk down to an appropriate number of points to transfer to the GPS. Thanks again.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #102
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01lc4intheham
Why not just use enough waypoints so that it can only route the way you want it to?
That's like telling someone who asks for directions on a bus: "...sure, just get off two stops before I do."

Or how to make money in the stock market, guaranteed: "buy low, sell high."

I split the TAT from TN to NM into 12 routes, made and tested directly on the 60CSx. Each route has ≤ 50 waypoints each, and auto-routes exactly as I want it to. I suppose I could have created the routes on Bobcat and used more waypoints per mile routed and ended up with more routes, but even then, you can't be absolutely certain that your handheld will autoroute identically to Bobcat unless you try it out on the handheld. If you don't like surprises, that's your only option.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #103
rallybug
Local Yokel

Is there a way (or if not, will there be a way) to add a custom avoidance area - for the sake of argument, when planning routes in France I'd prefer to avoid the mess that is Paris and its suburbs

I *think* you can do this in Mapsource (and I know you can in MS S&T and MS AutoRoute Europe), but I'm trying to just learn Bobcat so that I don't get myself more confused than I already am

My Ride Reports
Old 04-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #104
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,046
From the conversations about route recalculations on the units am I correct in understanding that the 60 csx doesn't actually download the route but just the waypoints and then recalculates? Otherwise (to state the obvious), why couldn't you just turn off auto recalc?

I know my 276C downloads the routes as determined in Mapsource (and probably Bobcat) and always keeps them. IOW, even if I recalc an active route using some weird prefs on the unit I can regain the route as downloaded merely by selecting it again on the 276C.

Does the 76Csx act like the 60csx or like the 276C when it comes to downloaded routes?
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:42 AM   #105
rallybug
Local Yokel

Ah, my day job as a software tester in a Windows environment does translate then - I broke Bobcat

Sent the error logs through as requested by the app - don't know if anyone else can replicate though. Search for nearby POIs, and while it is still searching, add the selected find results - kaboom

My Ride Reports