ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2008, 01:40 PM   #12
Dmotorider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Track Times Tip

I use GPS track times to identify where I took pictures, so I always keep all my devices (GPS, cameras, laptop, watch, bike clock, etc...) set to local times when I travel.

One of the annoying things for me about MapSource is that it will change the times of all the tracks depending on what the UTC clock time is (or my laptops time). Obviously, this complicates things when I'm in another time zone by making the timestamp on my photos & videos inconsistent with my tracks.

Keep in mind that my situation is rather unique as I've been on the road for more than 19 months now through the Americas and I've crossed through several time zones (which I've kept a record of, but daylight savings time really makes things confusing) and this just adds to the work load later.

So as a quick solution, recently I've started typing the time of the 1st track point into the name of the track in the 'Track/Properties' window (I save every day's track as a separate file by date). Ex: "2008-04-29 (7:36:14 AM)". That way I always know the correct time to set MapSource to when coordinating my images later.

Dmotorider screwed with this post 05-10-2008 at 01:54 PM
Dmotorider is offline   Reply With Quote