Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
blackie OP
Still Hibernating

Oddometer: 434
My new 2008 F650GS (twin) is here!

Picked up the new baby today!!
What a loooong wait! But it was worth it!
What a blast to ride! Tractable, so chuckable into corners. Still keeping it below 5K while it's being broken in. Didn't notice most of the things raised like the bobbling brake reservoir, but I guess I was too busy riding it! Went through both heavy traffic and open roads. It struck me how sweet sounding the engine is with an equally rorty sounding exhaust. That twin has grunt. Only thing I really noticed was my butt complaining a bit after about 40km. I think once the seat is broken in, it should get better. If not, Airhawk here I come. The other thing was getting used to that BMW switch gear... why can't they just have the turn signals like everyone else? Got most of the accessories as nobody else has made anything available here yet. Engine guards and hand protector spoilers still to come. Aiming for a longer ride tomorrow, tootling around the country roads here. Should be fun!!

blackie screwed with this post 05-11-2008 at 06:48 AM
blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:38 PM   #2
Gillies
Monkey Boy

Oddometer: 731
Congrats! Have fun.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:16 AM   #3
klarue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Wahoo! Finally, North America... The bike looks sweet. Let us know what you think of the BMW cases for everyday and occasional weekend camping use. My GS is due in August and I haven't selected cases yet. It will be 80% commuter, 20% explorer, unless I really get bit by the bug... KLR
klarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:29 AM   #4
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
this is the F800GSF650GS, right? In other words, it's the detuned parallel twin, versus the single?
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:38 AM   #5
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,564
How are the brakes ?

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:00 AM   #6
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Congratulations! Finally, after over 5,000 posts and over 2 years, we have an actual owner. Please report back with lots of pictures and experiences.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:32 AM   #7
blackie OP
Still Hibernating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillies
Congrats! Have fun.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarue
Wahoo! Finally, North America... The bike looks sweet. Let us know what you think of the BMW cases for everyday and occasional weekend camping use. My GS is due in August and I haven't selected cases yet. It will be 80% commuter, 20% explorer, unless I really get bit by the bug... KLR
The right side case when expanded will hold a full face helmet. the top box will not, but its really handy for commuting given the expandable feature. Groceries anytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder
this is the F800GSF650GS, right? In other words, it's the detuned parallel twin, versus the single?
Yup its the new "detuned" twin but I think you need to spend time in the upper rev range to feel any difference. At the lower rpms lots of grunt. Due to that switchgear I did the newbie rocking horse thing trying to turn on and off the turn signals and you can really feel the strength of the torque.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW
How are the brakes ?
No problems, but I'm still bedding them in so I've been gentle but the initial bite feels really good. The front lever does tend to come back quite a bit more but as other have noted, its a good thing for off road use. The rear brake is very easily modulated and has lots of bite. Using the rears felt like my old Goldwing's foot pedal which actually actuated one front caliper and the rear so that means its got quite a lot of stopping power. The other thing is that all the brakes already have steel braided lines! So no upgrades needed there. Ahhh another reason why I paid a bit more

Quote:
Originally Posted by [earthroamer
Congratulations! Finally, after over 5,000 posts and over 2 years, we have an actual owner. Please report back with lots of pictures and experiences.
Yessir!
Old 05-11-2008, 07:47 AM   #8
Marvin the Martian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,025
Nice

Looks real good.
Marvin the Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:08 AM   #9
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,206
Ride it like you stole it to get those piston rings seated properly.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #10
forester
woodswise w/gear

Oddometer: 111
This is an impressive package. When the 800 finally arrives here in the U.S. I may very well consider selling the wee and picking up one of these. Of course if by that time Triumph has a 675 version of the old tiger then I may have a little more pondering to do...
Old 05-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #11
Grad
Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie
The other thing was getting used to that BMW switch gear... why can't they just have the turn signals like everyone else?
I said the same thing but now I would hate to go back to the "standard" method of turn signals. Once you are used to it it just makes so much sense.
Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:34 AM   #12
Capotourer
CapoNoMore

Oddometer: 547
Lookey nice. Congrats on a sweet ride!
Capotourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #13
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
How much 'detuned' are these? Can you 'retune' them if you get an urge to?

What is the weight? Are they costing much less than the GS800's? What is the seat height? Is a low seat available?
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #14
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Trace
How much 'detuned' are these? Can you 'retune' them if you get an urge to?

What is the weight? Are they costing much less than the GS800's? What is the seat height? Is a low seat available?
http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/...Section=enduro

Blackie, very nice looking ride. Enjoy it and please keep us up dated on how you like it.
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #15
blackie OP
Still Hibernating

Other impressions

Thanks guys.
Spent a couple of hours today riding around, getting a better feel of it.
Was mostly on road but found a little gravel road. Wasn't too fun with the snow we got a few days ago so things were a little muddy.

A few things come to mind after this ride. The bash plate is a must for the bike! Without it, all the muck (and any stones) thrown up by the front tire would have landed on the oil filter and that little box (I forget what's its for) and some got on the radiator. I will be shopping for a rad guard soon!

For those of you who was worried about the small tank. I've done about 170KM so far, and according to the OBC (on board computer) I've got another 180KM to go before the tank runs dry, so thats a 350km range. My mileage so far has been about 40% city (really stop and go) 60% highway doing about 110kmh. That OBC is a hoot to play with! According to it, I've been averaging 4.1Litre per 100KM. That works out to about 60MPG US or full tank range to empty of about 250miles. But naturally it depends on how hard you are on the throttle. So based on the riding I did, there is still a reasonable range of about 220miles to 250miles to empty.

But have no more further fear, that Hard seat had my pant size 38 butt wishing for a lazy boy in the 120km I did today. You'd be stopping more often because of that seat anyways . I hope there is still room for breaking it in! Having said that, the shape of the seat is Perfect for off roading

blackie screwed with this post 05-11-2008 at 04:36 PM
blackie is offline   Reply With Quote