Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #91
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,549
Saweet! Where do you live? Can I hang out in your garage?

I'm afraid to find out how little you may have paid for it.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:55 PM   #92
Zegameister
Hi 'O Silver

Oddometer: 4
This is the shop garage with a portion of the combined fleet....

I paid $3500.00 for the bike.... The previous owner has had it since he purchased it new it '83 and took miticulous care of it. He turned down an offer for $3200.00 so I didn't bother to try & haggle.

About the only major flaw is the rubber on the front rt turn signal appears to have sat in the sun too long & is cracked... The windscreen has de-laminated just a touch... Not bad for a 25 yo bike.... Runs beutifully and is so clean you could eat off it... Nary a scratch on it.

It came with all its records and a few "Cycle" magazines covering the bike... My favorite is the issue with shoot out between the CB1100, KPZ1100, & my GS... The GS was the winner in that article.

I just couldn't pass on this bike.....
Zegameister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:07 PM   #93
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,549
Looks like it was worth every penny.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:13 PM   #94
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,622
My first bike was a 1978 GS550 that I bought used. In 1983 I rode it from Minnesota to Laguna Niguel in California to visit my uncle. Then I rode all the way up the coast to British Columbia. Then back to Minnesota. I was hooked for life on motorcycles after that.

I wanted a GS1100G after that, but for whatever reason, ended up with an R100 that I rode for years. I still want that 1100G. Maybe someday.

I liked the old GS bikes so much that I picked up a pristine GS450E on e-bay a few years back and I spent some time making it perfect. After playing with it for a while, I gave it to Charlie my stepson, who lost his GS450L in an accident. After recovering, he rode the 450 to Alaska. Then rode the hell out of it last summer, too.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293142

I love those old GS's.

windigo

Klay screwed with this post 05-25-2008 at 10:37 PM
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #95
rrowdies
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zegameister
This is the shop garage with a portion of the combined fleet....

I paid $3500.00 for the bike.... The previous owner has had it since he purchased it new it '83 and took miticulous care of it. He turned down an offer for $3200.00 so I didn't bother to try & haggle.

About the only major flaw is the rubber on the front rt turn signal appears to have sat in the sun too long & is cracked... The windscreen has de-laminated just a touch... Not bad for a 25 yo bike.... Runs beutifully and is so clean you could eat off it... Nary a scratch on it.

It came with all its records and a few "Cycle" magazines covering the bike... My favorite is the issue with shoot out between the CB1100, KPZ1100, & my GS... The GS was the winner in that article.

I just couldn't pass on this bike.....
I am totally green (or blue & white) with envy. You are a lucky guy. I'm assuming $3500 U.S. Not that it makes much difference these days
rrowdies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #96
solo suzuki
oldskool fool

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Here's some pix of my GS1100ES that I purchased yesterday morning....
It is in near showroom condition with 5200 original miles....
very very nice sir!

http://www.solosuzukizone.com

''Lighten up, in a blink of an eye we will all be gone'' NoApes
solo suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:07 AM   #97
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,543
Quote:
Here's some pix of my GS1100ES that I purchased yesterday morning....
It is in near showroom condition with 5200 original miles....
i hate you!!!!
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:57 PM   #98
CARRERASBAJA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Just got a similar bike that was left abandoned for some years.

Got me a 1983 GS450GAD Suzukimatic for 350 . From the looks of the engine and chain. Looks like similar condition. Bike does run but rust has gotten to the exhaust , spokes, parts of body and gas tank. i would like to know how you got that Engine so clean. Would I have to sandblast it or is there another way. I like the exhaust wrap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhach
Bought it for $200. It was shot. It had been leaning against a trailerhouse in Louisiana for quite a while. I love a challenge. I got it runnign and have ridden it but I still have a little work to make it street legal. Namely, ditching the pillow seat and getting the rear tailights sorted out.

CARRERASBAJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #99
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,310
Well, the most truthful answer about getting the engine clean is that I worked very hard. I had the head rebuilt and the machine shop sandblasted it. I had access to a sandblaster as well, so, I taped up the cylinders and did them as well as the other black parts on the engine. I then painted them with a wrinkle coat engine paint. As far as the cases are concerned, I used up a lot of abrasive buffing wheels and tediously removed all of the caked on dirt and grime. After that, I got a can of VHT engine paint called "Nu Kast Aluminum". I think that's what it was called, if I remember correctly. I taped everything off that I didn't want to paint and I sprayed the hell out of it. Since I couldn't get the engine in the oven (my wife was home), I hit it with a heat gun in order to bake the finish as best as I could. None of it is terribly hard or complicated. It's just really boring, dirty and tedious. If you really want to do it, take the engine out. It'll save you a lot of headaches in the end.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:21 PM   #100
8trackmind
Housebroken Jackalope

Oddometer: 315
My three GS's.
78 GS1000

80 GS850G

80 GS550E
8trackmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:37 AM   #101
zookster
Chupacabra

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8trackmind
My three GS's.
78 GS1000

80 GS850G

80 GS550E
Superb bikes! Really like the 550 done up Wes Cooley style. Very nice. The 850G reportedly had the most comfortable seat ever made on a GS. I've never had the pleasure of riding one, just 750's and 550's.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:47 PM   #102
solo suzuki
oldskool fool

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8trackmind
78 GS1000
that 1000 is lookin' better everytime i see it,
everyone's either black, white or red...
love the inverted paint combo and the silver engine/chrome pipe sitting in the black frame/black wheels
good work sir!

http://www.solosuzukizone.com

''Lighten up, in a blink of an eye we will all be gone'' NoApes
solo suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:19 PM   #103
rrowdies
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhach
Get a manual. That will be the easiest way. These bikes aren't that big of a deal to disassemble. Of course, reassembly is usually a little harder. If you're nervous though, get a manual and it will walk you through it. Once you get to the actual lock, there should only be a couple of allen bolts holding the assembly in place. Just be careful that you don't strip the heads. Check out bikebandit or someone like that. They have online parts images that will give you a pretty good idea of the whole assembly as well.
Got the manual (thanks for the advice) took it all apart. Found out that the ignition was not an original and had one wire spliced directly bypassing the connector. Long story short: a buddy knew a locksmith who took the ignition apart and made me two new keys. Put it all together and it started on the third try after sitting since last September in my backyard through the snowiest winter of my life. Hoping to get it safetied and on the road in the next two weeks.
rrowdies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:21 PM   #104
Rascious
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Wicked my "new" baby

1983 GS750T

Just got it last week. Starts, runs, and rides like a dream. All I've done is cleaned/lubed the chain and sprockets, change the oil/filter, air filter, and plugs. Keeping things in the family, my buddy rides her twin sister:

We're trying to get a weekend ride together but his bike is having intermittent starter woes.

I'm still trying to work out a good (and cheap) way to add some secure luggage for a longer trip coming up.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:29 PM   #105
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,383
Back in the early 80's I had a GS450E - drove that thing all over the place, including a three day trip from Miami to Atlanta (for a 24-hour layover with, ummm.....her name was.....uh.....Tracy maybe?) and then on to Washington, DC.

1,500 miles in 72 hours, including the layover (pun intended).

Just last week, I snagged an immaculate '79 GS850G with 13,800 miles. Bone stock, garage kept, never been down, etc etc. I'll post pics in a few weeks after I run down to South Florida of all places and bring her home to Charlotte.
Proud to have ridden all 50 US States. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote