Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2004, 10:37 AM   #121
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,312
here is a link to the travelcade guys they make a seat cover for the TA, you might talk to them re foam replacement, also I think rocky meyer is going to be a a july BMW meet in republic, wa doing seat rebuilds, he is here on Advrider, never sat in one, but excellent reputation.

http://www.saddlemen.com/saddleskins_street.html
HighwayChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 10:44 AM   #122
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

TA gaskets cheap!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35595
Old 05-31-2004, 10:48 PM   #123
Mechanista
manic depressive

Oddometer: 452
Bluhduh

TKC 80s are really the best tire for me , those in the picture have 9000 mi. I am really impressed with the way they handle the road even at higher speeds. thanks for the compliments on my choice of paint, I have had some guys really get pissed about what I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by modrover
I just looked at that photo of your bike again... Damn! I really think it looks great! I know some TA purists will argue, but who cares! I mean, it's not like you can't buy those body panels anymore if you decided to go back to stock.

I'm taking one of my TAs and turning it into a super light (as possible) enduro machine. This will be taking some time to do. I'm looking into several big ass plastic tanks that will work with the stock radiators to start with. I will then base everything else around the tanks. A couple tanks of interest are the XR650R Acerbis Baja 6 gal. and the KLR650 Military 6.6 gal.

I'm into long range riding without fuel stations around so I need that big of a tank. Well, I guess I could get by with a 5 gal., but wouldn't a 6+ gal. tank look the shit?! I mean, if I'm going 5... may as well go all the way!

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA

PS Are those TKC80 tires you're running? If so, how do you like them on the TA? How many miles are you getting out of those?
Old 05-31-2004, 11:23 PM   #124
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

9K yeow!

pissed because your paint job? anal assholes!
Old 06-01-2004, 04:59 PM   #125
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer: 3,592
Wicked Maybe you could add a little text to your paint...

Just for the dudes that give you shit about your paint... add a little text for them! Heck, do if in the spirit of ADVrider!

All in fun,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Attached Images

Series IIA 109" Land Rover Deluxe Station Wagon
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 02:38 PM   #126
Mechanista
manic depressive

Too Hot

You guys who've mounted high front fenders on your T/A's have heating problems? I had to pull mine back off and stick the low mount back on when the temps. reached 100.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:35 PM   #127
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Talking too hot... I don't think so

I haven't had an overheating issue or running hotter issue yet.

Maybe you're just doing more slow speed trail plug'n now that you've got that higher fender on. You big cheeky off-road bully-boy!

OK I'm not really sure why it would run hotter. The two different types of fenders I wouldn't think would make that big a diff. I mean, it's water cooled and the rads. are still getting flow. Hmm... maybe some of that waterwetter stuff is in order. I've heard good things about it and you can mix it with coolant.

Keep us informed of what you find. You might have a sticky thermostat giving you a bit of trouble. Hard to tell without pulling it out for a look see. At that point... I'd put a new one in anyway.

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
Old 06-09-2004, 06:40 AM   #128
transalper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by modrover
Keep us informed of what you find. You might have a sticky thermostat giving you a bit of trouble. Hard to tell without pulling it out for a look see. At that point... I'd put a new one in anyway.
I have the low fender and still have some overheating issues. The TA temps jump when doing off-road trail work or I'm in traffic. Much higher than it used to. I've replaced the thermostat, flushed the radiator fluid, backflushed the radiator fins, and she still get's hot. My next step is replacing the water pump - it should be here soon.

I have always been a bit concerned about the water pump because my TA has always made a strange whirring noise from the pump that gets worse when it's hot. It seems to be occurring a bit more frequently so the pump replacement is a bit of preventative maintenance regardless if it solves the overheating issue.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:31 AM   #129
Mechanista
manic depressive

Hot T&A

My heating problem really started on the hiway jaunts, after putting the low fender back on it the thing started to run much cooler. And yeah! I have also heard a weird whirring coming from the pump area too! Maybe you are on to something there, please keep us informed on that! I was wondering if any one had come up with a type of high fender that worked better than others, like a style that had louvers at the rear or something to help air get to the rads. I really need a high fender cause somehow I always end up crossing a muddy bentonite infested wash or something like that!
Old 06-09-2004, 09:52 PM   #130
hardybaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
My Transalp.

Well, I can't say much about it yet, because I have only seen a picture of it on ebay. The scoot is thirteen hundred miles away but I should have in a couple of weeks. It's all ya'lls fault. If I hadn't been reading the posts on the TA's, I probablly would still be satisfied with my BMW's. Please keep the posts comming as I have a lot to learn. Your favorite web sites????? Thanks, HB
hardybaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 06:32 AM   #131
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by transalper
I have the low fender and still have some overheating issues. The TA temps jump when doing off-road trail work or I'm in traffic. Much higher than it used to. I've replaced the thermostat, flushed the radiator fluid, backflushed the radiator fins, and she still get's hot. My next step is replacing the water pump - it should be here soon....
Try installing a manual switch for the fan to turn it on in advance of the temp going up. Though I haven't done this yet for my TA, it worked very well for my VF1000F. I suspect that the problem (with the VF at least) is that the fan comes on too late.

regards,
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 07:00 AM   #132
transalper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
Try installing a manual switch for the fan to turn it on in advance of the temp going up. Though I haven't done this yet for my TA, it worked very well for my VF1000F. I suspect that the problem (with the VF at least) is that the fan comes on too late.regards,
Good idea. I got my water pump yesterday, but it did not come with any gaskets. Arrrrrrrgh!
Old 06-10-2004, 10:18 AM   #133
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

water pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by transalper
Good idea. I got my water pump yesterday, but it did not come with any gaskets. Arrrrrrrgh!

Hey, post a picture of that water pump so I can see the backside of it please.

I'm interested in what it looks like. Also, let us know how she sounds and cools with the new pump. Hey, what'd you pay for that thing?

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
Old 06-10-2004, 10:21 AM   #134
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Yeah! We Are Now The Top Thread!!!!

Great work everyone! Let's keep this going.

I'm know I'll be posting more mods as this summer goes on... I just have get a bit of cash together to do those mods. Damn! I hate having to make money from nothing!

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA
Washougal, WA USA
Old 06-10-2004, 10:36 AM   #135
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Question Hey fellow TA dudes (and dudettes... if any)

I've posted this jacket in the for sale section (full description of it there), but wanted to see if any of you had a Corbin seat to trade for it. I'd be interested in a Givi box setup also. Let me know. I won't be putting for sale stuff here and pissing people off... just thought I'd ask this one time. I mean, everyone who rides a TA gets the kickback emails so I thought I'd get better coverage.

Regards,
Michael
'89 TA
'89 TA
Van., WA USA

PS Any other non-factory seat might be of interest. Or... if you've got a good idea on removing the stock cover and putting some better foam on it... let me know on this.

Oh yeah, I've got a perfect (and I do mean perfect) blue stock seat with the grab handle thingy on it I could trade or sell ($100). It only has 3900 miles on it and looks brand spank'n new! I'd have to have another seat before I let this one go... it'd be hell to ride without it.
Attached Images

Washougal, WA USA