ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 09:20 AM   #1
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW
 
Hotmamaandme's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Gardnerville NV
Oddometer: 2,650
Question Ural Snorkle mod

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331430


Air box snorkle

Ok I did some brain storming and dont laugh this is what I came up with. In 15 min with a $20 investment and no permanent mods reults are as follows. I dont have skills or time to make my my own custom air box like Mr. Cob and the others.

So I did this, I ran a 2.5 inch shop vac hose from the air hole in the bottom of the stock air box and ran it out to the front of the bike. My "Theory" is the stock box sucks air right off the hot motor and puts that hot air right back into the motor making it even hotter.

Second I think the air box located where it is and its bottom intake it sucks more dust (from the low position and the front wheel etc.) into the air box than other methods. In dusty situations or following in a group ride twice I have CLOGGED my air filter. I have had to stop and pull it out and put in my spare filter for just this situation. The bike was running way too lean and loosing power and then getting hotter.

So the benefits in "Theory" are taking in cooler air and slightly cleaner air from the new location. I think it will provide a slightly deeper water crossing line too.

The pics are not great but they work. What do you think about my Theory?
Attached Images

Front intake

New intake position
Attached Images
__________________
My screen name is kind of long. I am the "ME" part, my name is Cory.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
vecchio Lupo
Diplomatico Di Moto
 
vecchio Lupo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Washington D.C. Metro Area
Oddometer: 445
cool

I like the theory, but I question the science. Example, take a 6" section of 3/4 inch hose and breath through it, easy right? Now take a 6' section and breath, harder is it not? I like that you get a ram air effect, perhaps if you split the hose near the filter and ran two scoops to the front, that would double the intake and increase velocity at the filter.

I'm with you and can't wait to start experimenting on my own, thanks for a great idea.
__________________
Vecchio Lupo

Moto Guzzi, going out of business since 1921
"Remember, Italian motorcycles are like Italian women, sometimes they stab you for no reason."
vecchio Lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:20 AM   #3
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331430


Air box snorkle

Ok I did some brain storming and dont laugh this is what I came up with. In 15 min with a $20 investment and no permanent mods reults are as follows. I dont have skills or time to make my my own custom air box like Mr. Cob and the others.

So I did this, I ran a 2.5 inch shop vac hose from the air hole in the bottom of the stock air box and ran it out to the front of the bike. My "Theory" is the stock box sucks air right off the hot motor and puts that hot air right back into the motor making it even hotter.

Second I think the air box located where it is and its bottom intake it sucks more dust (from the low position and the front wheel etc.) into the air box than other methods. In dusty situations or following in a group ride twice I have CLOGGED my air filter. I have had to stop and pull it out and put in my spare filter for just this situation. The bike was running way too lean and loosing power and then getting hotter.

So the benefits in "Theory" are taking in cooler air and slightly cleaner air from the new location. I think it will provide a slightly deeper water crossing line too.

The pics are not great but they work. What do you think about my Theory?
Attached Images

Front intake

New intake position
Attached Images
Howdy Cory,

This is only my opinion worth exactly what you paid for it. A fellow up in Canada tried much the same setup about a year ago and asked the same question you asked. I suggested that he use a larger diameter tube with as smooth as possiable an interior making the over all length just long enough to do the job. The restriction of the corrugated tube, its length and small diameter will restrict intake flow. The fellow in Canada ended up with 4 inch diameter smooth tubing going into a home made air box that mounted along side of the gas tank, this he reported worked well. Just some things to think about, then again what you have done may work well in your application, do let us know how it all pans out.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:23 AM   #4
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay
 
vortexau's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Just off the Warrego, S.E. Queensland
Oddometer: 1,635
An impointant point to keep in mind -- no matter how well a system is constructed, if the leading opening is in a low-pressure area, or an area of stalled flow, it won't be capturing a worthwhile air volume.

http://www.galcit.caltech.edu/awt/te...port/MCP20.GIF
(Airflow diagram)

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?...DISPLAY=STATUS
(METHOD FOR MEASURING THE AIRFLOW IN AN INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE)
__________________
'08 Suzuki AN650A Burgman (and trailer)
vortexau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:42 AM   #5
Gummiente
Rebel Without A Clue
 
Gummiente's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: SW Ontario
Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob
A fellow up in Canada tried much the same setup about a year ago and asked the same question you asked.
I am that fellow. You can read all about the R&D that went into my airbox setup (the final version of which is still on the bike today and has yet to require a filter change) starting on pg 5 of my Ural blog.
__________________
Mike
'07 HD Road Glide
'05 Ural Tourist
CURD Head Cheese

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing the blues, it takes a moment to learn and a lifetime to master"
Gummiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummiente
I am that fellow. You can read all about the R&D that went into my airbox setup (the final version of which is still on the bike today and has yet to require a filter change) starting on pg 5 of my Ural blog.
Howdy Gummiente,

Please excuse me forgetting your name, its a problem I have always had and its getting worse as I get older. However I did remember that your from Canada and that you made a functional air box and filter that should be worth a couple of points, eh.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW
 
Hotmamaandme's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Gardnerville NV
Oddometer: 2,650
Question for Mr. Cob & Who ever has info on this

I noticed in the pics for the 08 black dog that Don and Sergey have what appear to be stock air boxes. I know that you did a custom box. Are you aware of what Don and Sergey if any mods they have done for the air box? Are they using the stock filter? I noticed that there is room in the box for a taller filter but it is not used. I think this is part of the issue on the glogging the filter Im trying to avoid. I run a K&N replacement for the stock filter which is a K&N type filter as well. I carry a spare filter ready to swap out when or if I need too. I think this is crazy (having to clean an air filter on a single ride) but short of doing a custom box or finding a filter that fits in the stock box that is taller I see no option. Any other filter options other than K&N?
__________________
My screen name is kind of long. I am the "ME" part, my name is Cory.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
Bozola
Complete Bastard
 
Bozola's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Waitsburg, Seattle and Biscuit Ridge
Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme
I noticed in the pics for the 08 black dog that Don and Sergey have what appear to be stock air boxes. I know that you did a custom box. Are you aware of what Don and Sergey if any mods they have done for the air box? Are they using the stock filter? I noticed that there is room in the box for a taller filter but it is not used. I think this is part of the issue on the glogging the filter Im trying to avoid. I run a K&N replacement for the stock filter which is a K&N type filter as well. I carry a spare filter ready to swap out when or if I need too. I think this is crazy (having to clean an air filter on a single ride) but short of doing a custom box or finding a filter that fits in the stock box that is taller I see no option. Any other filter options other than K&N?
I ran a stock filter on the Blackdog and had no problems on the 250 mile course...but this year the dust was down. I carry an extra just in case, as I've heard the stories of the breathing problems with the Ural. I had no problems in the 50+ miles of torrential downpour, either (and that includes the electrics). I understand that last year the dust was so think that it was taking down a lot of bikes, not just the Urals.

I was seriously sweating bullets when I got momentarially stuck in the mud lake that the bike would sink up to the air box. You never need 2wd until you really need it, then it saves your life.
__________________
The views expressed are the febrile product of an overactive imagination of a person who in shadows sees the gyrating Elvis-like ghost of Leonid Brezhnev.

2007 Gear-Up "Skwural"
Inflatable Banana
Bozola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:44 AM   #9
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme
I noticed in the pics for the 08 black dog that Don and Sergey have what appear to be stock air boxes. I know that you did a custom box. Are you aware of what Don and Sergey if any mods they have done for the air box? Are they using the stock filter? I noticed that there is room in the box for a taller filter but it is not used. I think this is part of the issue on the glogging the filter Im trying to avoid. I run a K&N replacement for the stock filter which is a K&N type filter as well. I carry a spare filter ready to swap out when or if I need too. I think this is crazy (having to clean an air filter on a single ride) but short of doing a custom box or finding a filter that fits in the stock box that is taller I see no option. Any other filter options other than K&N?
Howdy Cory,

To answer your question as best I can. Don uses the stock air box and the K&N filter, he has constructed a water-dam to keep most of the splash out of the filter and also uses a piece of oiled foam filter material that fits into and completely covers the air inlet.

Sergey uses a special one off factory prototype snorkel that has a vented cap on the inlet end and feeds into a special made form fitting plastic housing that bolts to the bottom of the stock 2006 and up air box.

Both of those systems work, mine just works a lot better, is much easier to service and will go for a long time between servicing. I installed my V3.2 air box and filter system before going to Death Valley in January of 2008 and have yet to touch it as far as servicing, in that time it has been exposed to miles of dust, rain, mud and snow. It took me a while to come up with what I am now using but for me it works and I see no further need to experiment as I think I have it about as good as its going to get.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW
 
Hotmamaandme's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Gardnerville NV
Oddometer: 2,650
Do you have pics?

Thanks Dave. Would you happen to have any pictures of Don's and or Sergey's air boxes?

On a report of the snorkle:
I test rode it yesterday and today with the snorkle. Low RPM's no noticeable difference. High way RPM's felt like it wasnt getting enough air and I noticed some slight back fire or sputter.

So it might be a useful idea for low speed stuff and might work well in keeping the filter cleaner. I dont think I will run this all the time and until I find a simpler way of hooking it up with out taking the lid off the box to get the tube in the intake hole its a pain in the ass.

So I put a peice of oiled filter foam slightly larger than the filter under the filter covering the hole and its held in place by the filter. I will see how this works. Stand by to stand by.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob
Howdy Cory,

To answer your question as best I can. Don uses the stock air box and the K&N filter, he has constructed a water-dam to keep most of the splash out of the filter and also uses a piece of oiled foam filter material that fits into and completely covers the air inlet.

Sergey uses a special one off factory prototype snorkel that has a vented cap on the inlet end and feeds into a special made form fitting plastic housing that bolts to the bottom of the stock 2006 and up air box.

Both of those systems work, mine just works a lot better, is much easier to service and will go for a long time between servicing. I installed my V3.2 air box and filter system before going to Death Valley in January of 2008 and have yet to touch it as far as servicing, in that time it has been exposed to miles of dust, rain, mud and snow. It took me a while to come up with what I am now using but for me it works and I see no further need to experiment as I think I have it about as good as its going to get.
__________________
My screen name is kind of long. I am the "ME" part, my name is Cory.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:07 PM   #11
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme
Thanks Dave. Would you happen to have any pictures of Don's and or Sergey's air boxes?

On a report of the snorkle:
I test rode it yesterday and today with the snorkle. Low RPM's no noticeable difference. High way RPM's felt like it wasnt getting enough air and I noticed some slight back fire or sputter.

So it might be a useful idea for low speed stuff and might work well in keeping the filter cleaner. I dont think I will run this all the time and until I find a simpler way of hooking it up with out taking the lid off the box to get the tube in the intake hole its a pain in the ass.

So I put a peice of oiled filter foam slightly larger than the filter under the filter covering the hole and its held in place by the filter. I will see how this works. Stand by to stand by.
Howdy Cory,

I can't post photos of some things that I am aware of, I don't want the Russian Mafia on my arse.

Go to and check out Gummiente's blog, also take a peek at the posts that WyoWilliys and PeteT, have put up on the Soviet Steeds web site, all of these folks have made their own air box's and use unique filters to get the job done.

The setup Don uses still gets clogged, the one Sergey uses he doesn't like as the tubing restricts air flow. As you have noticed at low rpms the restriction doesn't have a huge affect however get some rpm's and the need for power and ANY restriction will cause a problem.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #12
wyowillys46
F=mA
 
wyowillys46's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: The Front Range somewere
Oddometer: 2,079
Here's mine. I haven't done anything to the filters since I built the airbox this last winter. Dust, rain, and snow don't really seem to affect it. I did notice a slight increase in power, but the airbox is loud. I'm pretty used to it by now. It also drips oil from the breather. That's the one thing I need to fix, although it really isn't a problem. Just makes things a bit dirty.

__________________
"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." -Roscowgo
wyowillys46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:07 PM   #13
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW
 
Hotmamaandme's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Gardnerville NV
Oddometer: 2,650
You still want to make one for me?

Hey bud, are you still thinking about making these and skid plates for some profit? I really like your skid plate. I really need your air box. Name your price Ill pay it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowillys46
Here's mine. I haven't done anything to the filters since I built the airbox this last winter. Dust, rain, and snow don't really seem to affect it. I did notice a slight increase in power, but the airbox is loud. I'm pretty used to it by now. It also drips oil from the breather. That's the one thing I need to fix, although it really isn't a problem. Just makes things a bit dirty.

__________________
My screen name is kind of long. I am the "ME" part, my name is Cory.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014