Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2008, 03:48 AM   #31
Dranrab Luap OP
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy
Shouldn't be any linkage problems, the Bandits all have the same linkage setup and they're smooth as silk, with a positive "thunk" into first.

There's only three bolts holding on the cover, pop them off and take a look, it's dead easy to make adjustments to. Neat to see it's got sound deadening foam on the underside. I'm getting more and more enamoured with the engine and bike the more I ride and wrench on it. It appears to be a strong, solid unit. Not elegant like a Ducati or a full blown race rep, but a great practical ride.

I'm gearing up the 650 Bandit today for the summer. I've got to make three trips up and down the Cassiar and one to Las Vegas in the next month so I've just put a 16 tooth sprocket up front, a 100w high beam and relay to go with the HID low, and horror of horrors, a wooden beaded seat cover
I asked about a plus one on the countershaft sprocket on the GSX650F forum, but nobody had done it. How much does it drop your RPMs off at highway speeds, and what does it do to your acceleration?
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #32
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,735
Drops a couple hundred RPM at speed. It still pulls smooth and strong.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:15 PM   #33
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
As it comes, it is a standard bike with a full fairing. The factory bars give it a slightly forward leaning orientation.

I had 1" higher/1" further back risers and a throttle lock added by the dealer.
Hi Paul! Nice looking bike.

Your description sounds exactly like the seating position on dagowifes GS500F. She would like to sit up and back a bit more too. Can I ask what brand or source the 1" up and 1" back risers were and if the cables and brake lines had to be changed to longer units?
Dagofast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:36 PM   #34
Dranrab Luap OP
E-Tarded

Dago:

I bought them at the Suzuki shop. They keep them in stock. www.twistedthrottle.com has some. They run about $115. I don't know of any bikes that dont have enough slack in the cables to accomodate these risers.

Paul
Old 06-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #35
panama jack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I had the opportunity to take one around Road Atlanta last month. I have to say it was my best run of the day. Another student and I were slow in getting to the bikes and all that was left were two GSX650F. I had been riding a GRX-R600 all day. We were both thinking we were going to be disappointed, but after that track session we both loved the bike. The bars felt strangely high after coming off the GSX-R600 but I guess its more of what Im used to riding because it was so comfortable and effortless to turn. The power came on a lot smoother and that helped as well. Getting a knee down was no problem. It was solid in the turns, not nervous at all. Its probable more suited to my riding abilities. If I had the money I would pick one up today.
panama jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:15 PM   #36
DestinationAnywhere
n00b

Oddometer: 7
So has anyone ridden one of these and an SV650S? How did they compare?

DestinationAnywhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:27 PM   #37
Dranrab Luap OP
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by panama jack
I had the opportunity to take one around Road Atlanta last month. I have to say it was my best run of the day. Another student and I were slow in getting to the bikes and all that was left were two GSX650F. I had been riding a GRX-R600 all day. We were both thinking we were going to be disappointed, but after that track session we both loved the bike. The bars felt strangely high after coming off the GSX-R600 but I guess its more of what Im used to riding because it was so comfortable and effortless to turn. The power came on a lot smoother and that helped as well. Getting a knee down was no problem. It was solid in the turns, not nervous at all. Its probable more suited to my riding abilities. If I had the money I would pick one up today.
That's pretty interesting. Did you time your laps on each bike?
Old 06-20-2008, 05:30 PM   #38
Dranrab Luap OP
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationAnywhere

a little more nimble.

I can only compare it to the Wee Strom. Surprisingly, it makes smoother power over a broader rpm range. They'd probably be a wash in a 1/4 mile run. The SV will be a little faster and a little more nimble.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:56 AM   #39
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Eek

Nice looking bike, of course, I am biased, I just picked up a 2008 black Bandit. I am going to do exactly what you did, mount Givi V35 monokey bags, minus the top box for now. Some Bandit owners say the 650 seat is more comfortable and are putting it on the Bandit, apparently it is a direct swap. I have heard that Corbin's seat for the Bandit/650F has not been well received and the introduction or the Sargent product keeps getting pushed back, now to sometime in July, but that could change because it keeps being pushed back. With only two tanks of gas run through my Bandit I am getting 44, if you are only getting 48 out of the 650, I won't be looking for much more than 44 from my 1250. If those are the Beetle bags from the Corbin site for $1700, they are not my favorite. Yes they are small, and you can't take them off the bike into you motel room and if I remember correctly, you have to remove your stock turn signals to install them. Yuck on all that, I'll take the $800 (bags plus mounting brackets) V35s from Givi any day and money left over for a nice seat, plus other goodies.

Tim
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:50 PM   #40
Dranrab Luap OP
E-Tarded

Tim, you'll have to relocate your turn signals on the Bandit 1250 when you put the PLX cases on. You'll have to run the wires between the tail cowl and brake light for them to reach.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:22 PM   #41
andoulli
CAJUN

Well, now I am confused. What the heck is a PLX case?

Tim
Old 06-22-2008, 04:27 AM   #42
andoulli
CAJUN

Oops, I figured it out. PLX designates the tubular side case holder. So, did you have to relocate the turn signals on your 650. If so, do you have a pic of their new location? Did you have to drill holes for the reinstallation? Lastly, does Givi provide instructions for this alteration?

Tim
Old 06-23-2008, 04:09 AM   #43
Dranrab Luap OP
E-Tarded

Lets see here Tim, where to start. Givi instructions are utterly horrible. Worse in my mind than those that are badly translated from Chinese to English. They say absolutely zero about the relocation. No holes need to be drilled. There's enough of a gap between the tailight and the rear cowl to route the wire. The mounting kit comes with a bracket. I used it as designed, but I think I'll end up piddling around with ways to make it look a bit better. As it stands now the signals are pretty far out there. You can kinda tell from this picture. I'm guessing from your screen name you are from LA, what part?

Old 06-23-2008, 05:19 AM   #44
andoulli
CAJUN

Baton Rouge. Spelling should be Andouille, but I was not paying attention when I joined the group and now can't figure out a way to change it. Thanks for the photo. The bags fit so close to the motorcycle, I should have anticipated the turn signal relocation. At first, I planned on ordering the bags with the matching color inserts, but then I discovered my dealer had a black Bandit in storage, still in the crate. So I bought the black Bandit and decided the color inserts are redundant, and just ordered the plain black Givi V35s. Next I will deal with the seat, not sure I can wait on Sargent. As you probably know, Sargent is pre-registering people for the Bandit seat. What that means to me is when they get enough people pre-registered, they will make the seat. My butt says get the available Corbin forthwith!
Old 06-23-2008, 06:21 AM   #45
Dranrab Luap OP
E-Tarded

If you run into any questions along the way, feel free to post away. I am a moron when it comes to all things mechanical, but somehow I managed. Pay close attention to the spacers. If you are mounting side cases and a top case you use the smaller spacers. You'll see what I mean when you open the packages. You can get the mods to change your user name down in the Ask Baldy Blame John Forum at the bottom. There is a User Name Change Thread. I split my time between NOLA and Gulfport MS. With a little advance notice I can help you with your install. Don't tighten any of the screws more than about two turns until everything is together.

Paul