User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #46
The Full Monty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Question Rear brake shoes, anyone??

Looks like my rear brake shoes are gone and I can't find a set anywhere. There must have been a change in the design in in 1992 (part number changes). I can find the newer shoes but not the old ones. Does anyone know if they are all the same or any ideas on where to find them?

KLR650 '09
The Full Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:40 AM   #47
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,586
They are the same. Could have been a compound change or something.
SkidMarx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #48
nails1
nails1

Oddometer: 187
jets update

Okay, I think this may be a source for secondary main jets: http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/Keihi...01-806_C75.cfm .
I have one of these Keihin pups on order, and will post whether they really fit the XT350. These come in lots of sizes, and I'm waiting on 112. I know some folks run 118, but that's on a TT (not sure whether the different needle/nozzle is significant). Stock is 106 (yeah, kinda lean)!
Through nobody's fault but my own, I ordered the 112 from Sudco. Nice folks, but I had to buy 4 jets when I only want one. I've been screwing around with other vendors, but either been out of stock or they never got back to me at all. Yeesh. So, I haven't used motorcyclecarbs yet, but they've been good in email.
I'm not sure I need other jets, but I suspect that other Keihin pups will cross to the primary main and pilot.

--
Neal
nails1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #49
The Full Monty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
carbs and shock...........

Neal- I am so glad that I don’t have to deal with carb issues right now! Other than the carb boots, that are on order, then engine is running fine (after it warms up).

The shocks, I know they suck, but the right one has over 50 psi in it. The manual calls for 0 to 17 psi. The left forks valve stem is broken, but still holding air, I just don’t know how much.

Questions:
1-How much air is best for pavement (I will worry about off road later). I am a new rider, but bike seems to start getting squirrelly at around 40 mph.
2-Does anyone know where to get the air valves?

Thanks for the help

KLR650 '09
The Full Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:02 AM   #50
Jef Miller
he broke it again

Oddometer: 46
My XT350

Hey gang, I have a 1999 XT350, great to find a thread for them.
Been trying to get mine running right for a while. I'm still dinkin with it, but any ideas what's wrong?

Bike had sat around for a long time and I spent a couple weeks getting it going again (valve clearence brakes shock linkage wheels chain etc). Rebuilt carb, pretty good shape I'd cleaned it last year. Had it running good enough to ride around last week, but it kind of stumbled like it was running lean when you try to get going after first gear and would die at stop lights sometimes. Did highway speed!

Last night I put a #4 nylon washer under the needle on primary carb (home despot doesn't have metal #4's, i'll switch for a metal asap). Turned pilot air screw to 2+ turns out. Runs fine on choke but barely keeps going with choke off and dies when you open the throttle at all. Turned pilot air screw to 2- turns out still acts the same. Didn't know which way richens it so I was trying both. Any tips? thanks in advance for any help! I'll put up a pic of the bike someday :}
Jef Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:04 PM   #51
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,170
Spray some carb cleaner at the carb to manifold boots with it at idle and see if the idle changes. Those boots go bad on XT350's and make them do bad things. I went through three sets of boots in 17 years on the same XT350.
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:03 AM   #52
Jef Miller
he broke it again

Pilot screw in or out?

Hey gang, can someone tell me if turning the pilot screw out or in riches/leans the mix? My guess is turns in is leaner, but the Clymer nicely skates around this issue (as with most carb tweaking stuff). Thanks in advance!

PS: Still dinking around with my XT here, it still will idle crazy high no prob with the choke on but close that and/or give it gas and it dies. Has small backfires through the carb. Rebuilt the carb a third time, glad I did, I found a mistake I'd made! That didn't fix it though.
Tried:
Shim on primary/secondary needle, or neither, or both
Pilot two turns out, then half turn in or out
Disabled compression release
Same results /w aux fuel tank
Other things I forgot
Carb sync ahead/behind
Fuel level is on high side of being in spec

Grreatdog, I'll try that carb cleaner/boot trick next time I'm out there kicking on it. Thanks all!
Old 07-07-2008, 06:57 AM   #53
nails1
nails1

I understand the pilot screw is air. Turn it out for more air.

I'd recommend checking the plug color, especially after WOT for a couple minutes. (Pull clutch, hit kill, and coast to sode of road -- pick a nice shady spot while you wait for it to cool off enough to pull the plug.)

As Skidmarx has pointed out, you need to start with WOT and work back to idle. That involves more steps with this 2-carb set-up. The secondary CV carb should come on at about half throttle, so you'll need to check plug color a little above and a little below that. THEN fuss with idle (unless you KNOW the higher RPM jetting is right).

For my part, I'm still trying to get WOT right. I think TTKlaus has his carbs sorted. They sure come way-way lean.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:35 AM   #54
Jef Miller
he broke it again

Thanks Nails I will check out the plug next time I play garage. I'm new to carbs but is WOT == wide open throttle? Will check out, I'm still trying to get ATAA (any throttle at all) to work :}

Your secondary does not begin to open until the first is at halfway? Wow my synch must be completely off. Thanks again for the advice guys!
Old 07-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #55
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by nails1
Okay, I think this may be a source for secondary main jets: http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/Keihi...01-806_C75.cfm .
I have one of these Keihin pups on order, and will post whether they really fit the XT350. These come in lots of sizes, and I'm waiting on 112. I know some folks run 118, but that's on a TT (not sure whether the different needle/nozzle is significant). Stock is 106 (yeah, kinda lean)!
Through nobody's fault but my own, I ordered the 112 from Sudco. Nice folks, but I had to buy 4 jets when I only want one. I've been screwing around with other vendors, but either been out of stock or they never got back to me at all. Yeesh. So, I haven't used motorcyclecarbs yet, but they've been good in email.
I'm not sure I need other jets, but I suspect that other Keihin pups will cross to the primary main and pilot.

--
Neal
what jets sizes did they give you or did you have to buy 4 112?
i need to go about 116but 112 would be an improvement.

i trimmed the secondary cv srping to get it off the bottom quicker.it is only lean on the top end now .
kurt

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:33 AM   #56
nails1
nails1

SR - Yes, I should have four 112 coming -- PM me. Hopefully they'll show up today, and I'll see if they really fit. I may need 115 or 118 (don't think they make 116, and sounds like 115 may be serious back-order).
Old 07-09-2008, 07:37 AM   #57
nails1
nails1

I got this email from motorcyclecarbs. Sounds like folks I can work with.
I don't stock those jets normally. I have a min order of 4 each and sell them one at a time. They are EXTREMELY SLOW MOVERS....
Bottom line is if they are in the cart we can get them. If someone orders 1, I will have 3 left over. As volume increases so will inventory.
Happy to help any way I can.
It takes me 10-17 days to get an order of a non stock item in the customers hands. If its in stock..... 3 days.
Just an FYI...
Old 07-10-2008, 06:21 AM   #58
nails1
nails1

Keihin 1001-806 jets DO NOT fit. A little too big around.

Gonna shim the needle this weekend.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #59
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,666
I know this is the wrong thread, but it's where people who like XT350's are. I've got an "89 in great condition that I want to sell. Send me a PM for more info.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:08 PM   #60
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?

Oddometer: 2,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef Miller
PS: Still dinking around with my XT here, it still will idle crazy high no prob with the choke on but close that and/or give it gas and it dies. Has small backfires through the carb. Rebuilt the carb a third time, glad I did, I found a mistake I'd made! That didn't fix it though.
Had the same problem with my wifes XT. Had the carbs off three times looking for something I missed. (This was after replacing the bad boots)
Final Solution...
I installed a LONGER pilot jet in the primary carb. I figured the pilot jet being up inside the tube it is recessed into can't suck the fuel properly. Don't ask me what carb the jet came from or any info like that.
I used a jet with the same # (or close) that was in a coffee can full of old jets at my buddy's shop. The replacement jet had the same dimensions on the section above the threads (the section that goes in first) but the lower portion was longer allowing the jet to hang down in the bowl farther.

Here you go... The Original pilot in my carbs looked like this.
'80 Suzuki GS850G, '74 Honda MT250 Enduro
'71 Kawasaki 100,1971 Honda SL70, Sears Mini Bike

SnoDrtRider screwed with this post 06-20-2009 at 05:18 AM
SnoDrtRider is offline   Reply With Quote