User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
funklab OP
high plains drifter

Oddometer: 319
Hey whaddaya think about this hack?

I am thinking about buying a 1979 honda CX 500 with a velorex hack.

this is the bike specs http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...cx500%2080.htm

here is the actual rig

shaft drive, which is interesting to me, but I want you people's opinion on how this setup would work. I got myself paralyzed last year, so without some mods I wouldnt be able to test ride it, but I got lots of time on my hands to work out any kinks. The owner said that it had a "shimmy" from 25 - 30 mph, so I dont know much about sidecar geometry and dont know what could cause that.

Do you guys think this would be a reasonable ride? I would need it to haul me and my wheelchair and 80 pounds worth of crap several thousand miles, do you think it would be an okay ride?

thanks in advance for your opinions.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262651
funklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
Johnny Wolvo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by funklab
I am thinking about buying a 1979 honda CX 500 with a velorex hack.

this is the bike specs http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...cx500%2080.htm

here is the actual rig

shaft drive, which is interesting to me, but I want you people's opinion on how this setup would work. I got myself paralyzed last year, so without some mods I wouldn't be able to test ride it, but I got lots of time on my hands to work out any kinks. The owner said that it had a "shimmy" from 25 - 30 mph, so I don't know much about sidecar geometry and don't know what could cause that.

Do you guys think this would be a reasonable ride? I would need it to haul me and my wheelchair and 80 pounds worth of crap several thousand miles, do you think it would be an okay ride?

thanks in advance for your opinions.
Hello, You say that the outfit has a shimmy at 25 to 30 mph, do you mean that it shakes it's head at this speed? I can't see a steering damper on it, could this be the problem, most sidecar outfits require a steering damper?

Regards.........Johnny Wolvo....UK.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
funklab OP
high plains drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wolvo
Hello, You say that the outfit has a shimmy at 25 to 30 mph, do you mean that it shakes it's head at this speed? I can't see a steering damper on it, could this be the problem, most sidecar outfits require a steering damper?

Regards.........Johnny Wolvo....UK.
I havent had a chance to see it in person yet, but that's what it sounds like. A steering damper shouldnt be a huge problem, right? Just kinda expensive... all i know about steering dampers is from when I used to ride sportbikes.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
uraldog
vagabond

Oddometer: 405
I think someone on the SovietSteeds board has had a recent frame attachment point failure on that model bike ---you might want to talk at him about it
uraldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Most rigs have a slow-speed wobble around there. First thing is to play with air pressure. My bike is very finicky about having it spot on. next is to have the steering bearings about a quarter turn tighter than for solo use.
When all that is taken care of, different things set the slight wobble off. If it gets obnoxious, I steer left and then hard right real quick and that usually settles it down. It will get very stable at speed.

I would want to see the set-up. I think those engines are a stressed member so there's no real good way to mount a SC without a sub-frame.
The bikes are terific- especially on the freeway. Those sidecars are very light but the older ones have problems with axles breaking. This has been discussed a lot at www.sidecar.com.

Whether or not it has enough power for freeway use... I don't know.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:48 AM   #6
funklab OP
high plains drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
Most rigs have a slow-speed wobble around there. First thing is to play with air pressure. My bike is very finicky about having it spot on. next is to have the steering bearings about a quarter turn tighter than for solo use.
When all that is taken care of, different things set the slight wobble off. If it gets obnoxious, I steer left and then hard right real quick and that usually settles it down. It will get very stable at speed.

I would want to see the set-up. I think those engines are a stressed member so there's no real good way to mount a SC without a sub-frame.
The bikes are terific- especially on the freeway. Those sidecars are very light but the older ones have problems with axles breaking. This has been discussed a lot at www.sidecar.com.

Whether or not it has enough power for freeway use... I don't know.
Lotsa good stuff there, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
If it gets obnoxious, I steer left and then hard right real quick and that usually settles it down.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,342
I can't imagine that outfit being able to cruise at highway speeds. Not enough power there to push the air around.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #8
Johnny Wolvo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Cheap steering dampers

Quote:
Originally Posted by funklab
I havent had a chance to see it in person yet, but that's what it sounds like. A steering damper shouldnt be a huge problem, right? Just kinda expensive... all i know about steering dampers is from when I used to ride sportbikes.
No, you don't have to use those dampers that are designed for solo bikes (very expensive). I always use steering dampers that are for the old type VW transporter vans, you can get them new for 17 here in the UK = about $ 34 I think over there in the states? My friend Dave in Seattle, I helped him to construct his KTM outfit "HACK" he managed to get one quite local to him. See his outfit on KTM SIDECAR ENDURO USA, it should be on page 8 or 10 by now. You can clearly see his damper fitted onto the front forks.

Cheers.......Johnny Wolvo......UK.

Johnny Wolvo screwed with this post 07-18-2008 at 02:58 PM
Johnny Wolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:39 PM   #9
bpw
r65 PD

Oddometer: 209
I have velorex on a nighthawk 750, my bike is quite a bit more powerful then a cx500 and while it does fine on the highway I wouldnt want much less power if I was planning long distances on the highway. especially if I was carrying much weight.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:05 PM   #10
ozrockrat
Ozrockrat

Oddometer: 390
Cam Chain Tensioner

Make sure it has an updated cam chain tensioner. The early ones would let the chain hit on the medal journal and fill the sump full of particles.
ozrockrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:24 PM   #11
Egads1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Cx500/cx650

Check the HACK'd magazine site. In the classifieds they have a CX650 with a custom Spirit Eagle sidecar. It has a Kurt Liebhoffer subframe and sidecar chassis that is super strong. It also has a Unit leading link front end. Also has a trailer hitch. $5000.00 but it is probably negotiable. Not mine and I have no reason to promote it. Just for your information.
Egads1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #12
funklab OP
high plains drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrockrat
Make sure it has an updated cam chain tensioner. The early ones would let the chain hit on the medal journal and fill the sump full of particles.
Thats sounds scary. How do I check that, was it certain year/models or was it a recall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egads1
Check the HACK'd magazine site. In the classifieds they have a CX650 with a custom Spirit Eagle sidecar. It has a Kurt Liebhoffer subframe and sidecar chassis that is super strong. It also has a Unit leading link front end. Also has a trailer hitch. $5000.00 but it is probably negotiable. Not mine and I have no reason to promote it. Just for your information.
will do, thanks!