Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
hushpuppy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Question I don't remember that hole being there...

Hello Ural experts

Long story short, I'm trying to bring a long dead 1998 Deco Classic Ural back to life. My father bought it around eight years ago with the intention of learning to ride, but never got around to actually using the thing. I believe it has around 550-600kms total on it, of which all but 50 or so were likely within the first year of its life. Seriously neglected machine.

Yesterday I flew home to MN from NC for a week to visit family and friends, and he asked me to take a shot at getting it moving again.

While changing its oil, I noticed an irregularly shaped second hole inside the engine oil fill port. It has jagged edges, and does not look like it was put there on purpose. There was a small amount of metal in the oil when I changed it, but no large chunks which would fit this hole. Attached should be two pics (first time attaching images.)

Is this something that necessitates dropping the oil pan or otherwise exploring for metal bits? And what the heck could have caused it on a machine with only half a thousand kilometers on it?

So far, I've changed its oil, replaced fuel filters, drained/filled the gas tank, and replaced the battery with a new sealed one. The spark plugs look serviceable. I was hoping to get this thing running and drive it around while I'm in town, maybe inspire him to actually drive it himself after I'm gone.

Nearest Ural dealer (according to the IMZ website) is south of Rochester, about 120 miles away. I *could* trailer it down if necessary. . .

Any thoughts? What sort of mess have I gotten myself into?
hushpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
wyowillys46
Rustled softly.

Oddometer: 2,041
My bet is on a poor casting.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
RomaDakota
ROYGBIV

Oddometer: 1,268
+1 on poor casting. A little JB and some creativeness will cure your hole.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,333
Why bother. It all leads to the same location :)
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:44 PM   #5
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,796
Probably is due to poor casting,as previously mentioned.

I`d be inclined to remove the sump (oil pan in your parlance) and clean any bits out,just for peace of mind if nothing else...it`s easy enough to do.

My 650 Ural spat its timing gear teeth last year,losing about a quarter of the teeth and when I removed the sump it was full of broken gear teeth and a very fine metallic 'paste' in the oil from the timing gears.

I wiped it all clear and rebuilt it,then flushed the engine through a few times with cheapo thin oil,changing the oil filter before putting the normal oil in.

It`s still ok after a year of daily use.

While you`re spannering,check your valve clearances and also check all fasteners.

Drop the gearbox oil and final drive oil too,if you haven`t already.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:32 AM   #6
hushpuppy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well then, I shall return to the project with renewed hope, thanks everyone. I am going to see how it runs without "creative fixes" first, and if need be I'll cross that bridge later.

I intended to do the valve clearances and trans/final oils as well, should be educational. I know next to nothing about these bikes, but at least most things seem to be relatively straight forward.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:27 AM   #7
RomaDakota
ROYGBIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbloc
Why bother. It all leads to the same location :)
My only worry would be the hole degrading as the dipstick is removed and installed over and over. This could cause aluminum shavings from the outer region of the hole. I wouldn't worry about it too much and the filter system should keep the bits from circulating.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #8
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 1,930
I just went out and looked at my '97 650 Ural. It has EXACTLY the same hole in that position-I'm guessing it is a sort of breather. I definitely wouldn't fill it or anything like that. If you like I could take a photo.
Change all your oils,and get one of those small grease guns,and a needle point for it to shoot some grease into the zerk fitting on the universal joint at the final drive-it's close quarters,and takes something like this to fit properly.

Another hint: join sovietsteeds.com, and russianiron.com. you will get information from guys that know these machines inside and out.

I went back out and took a pic.

jeep44 screwed with this post 07-22-2008 at 10:40 AM
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #9
hushpuppy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Jeep44,

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to get that pic. Nice to see its not a unique case. If I have reason to be working on this thing beyond this week, I'll be checking out those forums.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 07-22-2008, 03:39 PM   #10
ReCycled
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Now you made me go and look at the Ural motor block in my basement.

The oil fill tube is pretty much a straight shot down to the sump. It's not a perfect tube, it's partially open into the block for easier filling. The "extra" hole is a vent directly into the upper portion of the block.

If you are filling with a funnel that seals the fill hole, you'll need a way for the air displaced by the oil to escape.
ReCycled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #11
wyowillys46
Rustled softly.

Oddometer: 2,041
The crankcase already has a breather.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:25 AM   #12
muschelschubser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowillys46
The crankcase already has a breather.
But that one is either open or closed, depends on the camshaft position.

Dirk
Richard Hoffmann (*1938 ),
muschelschubser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:35 PM   #13
RomaDakota
ROYGBIV

I still vote for a bad casting - could have lasted for years. A vent there is not necessary and highly unlikely it was planned. If one tears one of these down to case, you will find many examples of strange casting situations and possibly some factory repairs. My very old bikes produced in Irbit and the newer produced bikes don't have this. Also, my Dnepr does not have this.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:22 PM   #14
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,061
Used to have a Ducati E900, first time I serviced the air filter, I found a Italian candy wrapper in the air box. Wouldnt hurt to check Your oil pan. My 07 patrol has that extra hole also.
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:10 PM   #15
ReCycled
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
The vent is there on BOTH of my 650 Urals. It would only be functional when the dipstick/plug is removed, supporting my funnel vent theory.

There is actually a larger, better machined hole to the top of the motor block on my Dnepr 650.
ReCycled is online now   Reply With Quote