Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2008, 11:45 PM   #1
CeeBee OP
The Cake Baker

Oddometer: 156
TATtered old men

I've been told "The TAT ride report MUST be written" I, the illiterate one, was elected by default. Since I am the youngest of the old TATtered men, I succumbed to the mounting pressure although my memory has aged beyond the youthful status that appointed me. In light of this fact ALL riders MUST interject and keep my facts straight!!!! I met Burt last March on a ride in Baja - Click if interested- http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26600&referrerid=3049
He mentioned in passing about doing the TAT in July - I just said "call me" Now I'm thinking -- the desert in Aug.? Is he crazy?? Well the call came and I Guess, well, we all must be a little crazy to even be on this board!
Anyway, The players are ----

Burt

General Lee

Chuck

Rick - rode the Oregon section

Burt rode all the way from Washington state on a DR650 to start the ride at the General's house on the border of AR. and OK. on July 22nd AM. I met up with them at Keith's shop in Tulsa OK. on the 22nd PM
Keith was great!! Put us up for the night and handled any needs we may have had -- Well bike needs anyway --- Can't find a picture Keith, must have been to freaked out to take one -- A big THANK YOU for everything you have done for us and others. Your hospitality is rare and appreciated!!!

Left that morning on the flat open spaces of OK.
Had a pretty good clip going, then it turned into two track with deep dry sand in the ruts. I kept the speed up to stay on top and eyes peeled to the slot or rut because it was narrow. Knowing that the consequences of a mistake would be immediate, I neglected to look in my rear view mirror very often. When I did - NOBODY was back there!! I hate turning around in rutted sand, but managed to stay upright. A little farther back I saw Burt picking up his bike and checking everything. Windshield was broken and the engine wasn't running very good but he wanted to go find the General. On the way back, we crossed paths with a guy in a truck, said he helped pick up a bike a little way back. Came up on General Lee - Guess the truck guy made him rethink going forward, so we back tracked and went around. No big deal - it was OK. Pun intended.
Really, there were no pictures so it must not have happened.

Shade was hard to come by

I waited under a cattle loader - only shade for miles. Did I mention, It was 104 in the shade and about 85% humidity

Burt didn't need no stinkin shade

Lunch at a patriotic restaurant

Spent the night at a no name motel where Burt fixed his windshield, a vacuum leak in the intake manifold, loosened the triple trees to straighten the bar and broke his PVC tool carrier in the process. After a few beers we hit the sack.

More later - your turn to add some Burt and Lee
Later, Chuck
It is now to late to turn back - the thread has been started!!
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote