User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2008, 05:54 AM   #1
AllenTC2 OP
Pokey

Oddometer: 434
Sidecar noob

Well, actually, I'm an ADV noob too, but that's beside the point.

I got my KLR and I've finally ridden on what I'd call a long ride (Cromag and back) and I've set a goal for myself to acheive in the next 9 years. I wanna go to Alaska.

Problem is, my 12 y.o. son wants to go. I immediately thought about Urals.

Granted, by the time I'll be ready to go, he'll be old enough to ride his own bike (though he seems to lack any interest), but I was thinking in the meantime, there are plenty of places I could take him.

So in short, what I'm asking is what sorta things do I need to consider when riding/packing/travelling w. passenger. I've seen there are schools for sidecars. What about cost? Edumacate me, please.
AllenTC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenTC2
Well, actually, I'm an ADV noob too, but that's beside the point.

I got my KLR and I've finally ridden on what I'd call a long ride (Cromag and back) and I've set a goal for myself to acheive in the next 9 years. I wanna go to Alaska.

Problem is, my 12 y.o. son wants to go. I immediately thought about Urals.

Granted, by the time I'll be ready to go, he'll be old enough to ride his own bike (though he seems to lack any interest), but I was thinking in the meantime, there are plenty of places I could take him.

So in short, what I'm asking is what sorta things do I need to consider when riding/packing/travelling w. passenger. I've seen there are schools for sidecars. What about cost? Edumacate me, please.

you can find out about Adventure Sidecar classes at adventuresidecar.com
We have one more class this year coming up Sept 19-21 There are 4 seats left, cost is $225 registration is through Hood River Community Ed 5413862055. We provide sidecars to use and it is a good way to not only learn to safely pilot a sidecar but also to find out if you even like the things before you spend a bucket of money on one. We have KLR sidecars , which are comparable in performance and handling to the Ural.

I haven't set the 09 schedule yet, prices will probably go up and I will offer fewer classes next year.

Evergreen Safety Council has classes in the Seattle area and also a list of classes available nation wide. The prices vary but out of state is about the same as I charge( I think). The National list tends to be out of date so if you find something you are interested in be sure and call to confirm it is still happening and the current price. You can find information at the Evergreen site, esc.org , I believe.

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
That's funny about your son. I used to go out with a friend on his boat, and it drove him crazy that I didn't want to learn how to sail. I wanted to learn how to crew, but i really didn't see the attraction of staring at a little peice of rag up there the whole time.

If you don't mind tieing up some money while you wait for the right buyer to come along (after realizing you hate sidecars), classes are a good way to go. Where are you, anyway?

As far as a passenger, unless they have some kind of disability, just double up on everything. I'd recommend some shorter rides before just grabbing PeeWee and heading for Alaska, though.

Lurk at www.sidecar.com and also hang out at a Ural site like Russian Iron to learn about what to expect from that specific brand.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
AllenTC2 OP
Pokey

I'm in WV and frankly, I have never tried riding double and have no real desire to. Cal me weird (especially as I'm asking about sidecars) but I am pretty sure I'd go nuts if my mistake hurt my son. I've got the impression that riding a bike with a sidecar would be vastly different and I wouldn't have to worry about laying the bike down.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
Pugsley/Hobbfather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
That's funny about your son. I used to go out with a friend on his boat, and it drove him crazy that I didn't want to learn how to sail. I wanted to learn how to crew, but i really didn't see the attraction of staring at a little peice of rag up there the whole time.

If you don't mind tieing up some money while you wait for the right buyer to come along (after realizing you hate sidecars), classes are a good way to go. Where are you, anyway?

As far as a passenger, unless they have some kind of disability, just double up on everything. I'd recommend some shorter rides before just grabbing PeeWee and heading for Alaska, though.

Lurk at www.sidecar.com and also hang out at a Ural site like Russian Iron to learn about what to expect from that specific brand.
Since when is sailin gjust looking at a littel rag?

I don't think I ever looked much at the sheet unless there was something wrong with it...but I'm not much of a sailor either...
Pugsley/Hobbfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #6
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,335
Quote:
I'm in WV and frankly, I have never tried riding double and have no real desire to. Cal me weird (especially as I'm asking about sidecars) but I am pretty sure I'd go nuts if my mistake hurt my son. I've got the impression that riding a bike with a sidecar would be vastly different and I wouldn't have to worry about laying the bike down.
If you are in W Va. one of the best things you could do is attend the upcoming Hack'd Reunion near Buckhannon. It is an annual event put on by Chris Dodson of Hack'd Magazine (now going into it's 25th year of publication) and Gary Haynes.
We plan to attend as usual and hope to see you there. Ask for Claude.
Here is the info from Chris ..also go to hack'd.com:

October 3-5, 2008
HACK'd Reunion On The Mountain in N. Central WV!

Hosted by HACK'd Magazine and The Sidecar Magic Shoppe.

Rally Fee, Registration $30.00.

Semi-Primitive camping, good company and many great roads!

Sat. night dinner.

Motor Homes and big trailers .... the roads to the camp area are not
accessible, as in VERY NARROW and SHARP TURNS. Call ahead for
alternate arrangements.

Call or email for directions; Motels and Hotels in the area: Super 8
(about 18 miles from us) PH: 304-269-1086 This is just off of I-79 on
Rt. 33 Near Weston. There is a Hampton Inn on the West side of
Buckhannon off of Rt. 33. PH: 304-473-0900; Centennial Motel & Pub
PH: 304-472-4100 (They have a parking lot in back for big rigs) call
and ask; There is also an area 25 miles north of us called
Bridgeport/Clarksburg, there are many motels there. It is around I-79
and 50. To find us follow Route 20 for 5.2 miles North of Buckhannon.

We have signs from Route 20 into us.

Our actual neighborhood is Teter, just out of Hodgesville.

C'ya!

Call 304-472-5507 or contact upcomingevents@hackd.com

NO DOGS ALLOWED (Pet Paradise is at 304-472-2600). That is where our
dogs will be.....

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #7
AllenTC2 OP
Pokey

I believe I may try to show up one day for that! Thanks for the info, Claude!
Old 09-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #8
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,335
We will be ther late friday afternoon. That is unless we get absorbed in running some of those great roads you have down there. Look me up. I will be on a R100R with large aluminum panniers and an aluminum sidecar. Riding partner for this trip, Frank Hubbard, will be on his 600 sportbike with a Hannigan sidecar on it. Hope to see you there. Bring your son and we can take him for a ride.
Note that Evergreen does have classes in Virginia but you will have to check on dates etc. We also do one on one training at our shop in central pa by appointment but it is not 'official' so to speak.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/

claude screwed with this post 09-12-2008 at 01:47 PM
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:28 PM   #9
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Pugsley, I don't mean the sail. There's a little red cloth on the top of the mast that shows where the wind is blowing. He was always watching that.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:31 AM   #10
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Problem is, my 12 y.o. son wants to go.
I take my 12 year old in my rig regularly, and sometimes on two wheels. The biggest issue with him is he falls asleep at times. It's not an issue with the hack, but it is an issue on two wheels. I'd never take him more than 100 miles in a stretch on two wheels, but a day long flower sniffin trip with the hack works fine with him. I've had him on multi-day trips with the hack, and he loves it. Choose a sidecar that has enough enclosure so he won't fall out if he is asleep. What I'm thinking is a low side entry on the RH side could be an exit for him while he sleeps - not good - the Ural tub with the low RH entry comes to mind for one.

Do it now. My two teenaged boys don't like the hack as much, although one does some. It's not so kool they think.

MikeS screwed with this post 09-14-2008 at 07:45 AM
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:09 AM   #11
AllenTC2 OP
Pokey

I'd love to be able to take him with me on two wheels, I just doubt my ability to ride two-up and his ability to follow directions! LOL Plus the KLR is just so damn tall.

I dunno.....I have always thought the Urals were pretty cool, but other than my son, I wouldn't really have a use for it and he will grow up too soon. LOL I suppose the best solution would be a rig FOR my KLR. Do they make'em that are easy to attach/detach?

I will do my best to come up there. May have to cage it if I'm bringing my son. I share custody of him and he's not really outfitted for riding. LOL
Old 09-14-2008, 11:46 AM   #12
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 16,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude
If you are in W Va. one of the best things you could do is attend the upcoming Hack'd Reunion near Buckhannon. It is an annual event put on by Chris Dodson of Hack'd Magazine (now going into it's 25th year of publication) and Gary Haynes.
We plan to attend as usual and hope to see you there. Ask for Claude.
Here is the info from Chris ..also go to hack'd.com:

October 3-5, 2008
HACK'd Reunion On The Mountain in N. Central WV!

Hosted by HACK'd Magazine and The Sidecar Magic Shoppe.

Rally Fee, Registration $30.00.

Semi-Primitive camping, good company and many great roads!

Sat. night dinner.

Motor Homes and big trailers .... the roads to the camp area are not
accessible, as in VERY NARROW and SHARP TURNS. Call ahead for
alternate arrangements.

Call or email for directions; Motels and Hotels in the area: Super 8
(about 18 miles from us) PH: 304-269-1086 This is just off of I-79 on
Rt. 33 Near Weston. There is a Hampton Inn on the West side of
Buckhannon off of Rt. 33. PH: 304-473-0900; Centennial Motel & Pub
PH: 304-472-4100 (They have a parking lot in back for big rigs) call
and ask; There is also an area 25 miles north of us called
Bridgeport/Clarksburg, there are many motels there. It is around I-79
and 50. To find us follow Route 20 for 5.2 miles North of Buckhannon.

We have signs from Route 20 into us.

Our actual neighborhood is Teter, just out of Hodgesville.

C'ya!

Call 304-472-5507 or contact upcomingevents@hackd.com

NO DOGS ALLOWED (Pet Paradise is at 304-472-2600). That is where our
dogs will be.....
I'd love to go to that, but unfortunately I have to work that weekend
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote