User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
Spicy McHaggis OP
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,789
Dauntless sidecar - anyone seen it?

I know they were working on making their own sidecars...not the Adventure ones, but the ones that look like an Ural 'car.

Anyone seen any pics of said 'car? How's it look? I searched the website and couldn't find anything...
Old 03-23-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,475
Jay wote on 2/11/08:
.>>>>..we are developing our own sidecar that will be very similar to the Ural sidecar but made of hand laid fiberglass.
We are calling this sidecar the type M72D. We have the body mould built, the fender mould built, we are still working on the trunk lid and windshield. We are taking orderes for delivery some time in late March at the introductoy price of $3295, May first the price is going up to $3995<<<<

I have not heard anything since. I wanted to ask what frame they were using last time I spoke to him but forgot. Shoudl be interesting.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
MooseKiller
Tripod

Oddometer: 4,604
Bump...?

I checked with Dauntless yesterday, and this is what I got back:

The M72D will work great with your bike (1996 BMW 1100 GS). The base sidecar is built a bit different for use on the GS. With the different frame and mounting hardware for your bike the sidecar runs $4995. This includes every thing you will need to hook it up to your bike. This will also work with the R1150GS We charge $150 to crate the sidecar.
Shipping is about $400
We have many options.
If you want ligher steering on the bike we make a new billet ball joint mount for your bike $800 Options are as follows for the sidecar.
Electric trim $800
Racks front and rear $250 each.
Color match paint $800
tow hooks $55 each.
5L fuel canister and mount $130
6 gallon under the body fuel tank with transfer pump $800 power out let $55 Carpet $120 seat belt $55 Matching BMW rear wheel on the sidecar with disk brake. $TBD price is based on what we pay for the wheel. We usualy try and find a good used wheel.
We build a lot of these and usualy always have one being built here. One of my employee's rides an R1100GS sidecar every day.
Jay
Old 09-16-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,197
I saw the proto-type at his shop when I was up there last spring.
I believe the frame is one they built specificaly for this car. The glass was heavy and robust and the trunk was gasketed with a gutter, so it should hold up well and be watertight.

Overall the fit and finish looked very good.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
Concho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseKiller
Bump...?

I checked with Dauntless yesterday, and this is what I got back:
At those prices, I'd rather add a few bucks for a Hannigan.

IMHO
Concho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
MooseKiller
Tripod

Oddometer: 4,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concho
At those prices, I'd rather add a few bucks for a Hannigan.

IMHO
I do prefer the look of the "Ural" hack as I am considering a Patrol/Gear Up, as the option is using my 1100GS as a tug... But I am somewhat biased toward the Hannigan as I happen to personally be one... I just don't know if the Hannigan hacks are really have the "off road" look I am going for.

What I am thinking is this: It is cheaper to add a hack to my BMW than to get a Ural and another go-fast bike (Currently my BMW is my go-fast). I don't do much dirt, so having a GS, Patrol/Gear Up, and FJR 1300 is starting to make less financial sense than a GS + Hack and FJR.... Hence me dredging this thread up. It was th eonly one that seemed to mention the Dauntless M72D specifically. I was impressed with the speed of their reply though...
Old 09-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #7
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,348
It cost me around $2500 to add a Ural chair to my R1150GS, including Dauntless subframe, Dauntless A-arms and modified Ural sidecar frame, matching GS sidecar wheel (from eBay) + Brembo brake (from Dauntless, who also modified the Ural swingarm to fit the GS wheel), Ural chair, and electric tilt.

I got everything save the wheel and tub from Dauntless which made it easy for me to look around until a deal on a Ural came around. I bought the Ural, removed the tub, sold the rest for what I paid.

I love this outfit. I ride it more than my brand-new R1200GSA. But you will want a two-wheeler around still, so keep that in mind.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote