Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2008, 08:36 AM   #46
Jonex
zipper suited sun god

Oddometer: 1,357
A friend of mine was in the middle of nowhere, Iowa, in his VW bus when the power suddenly went to nothing and a big chuff chuff noise emanated from the back where that engine-like oil leak resided.

Turned out a spark plug had blown right out of the head, taking the threads with it.

He put a bunch of wraps of teflon tape on the plug, screwed it back in, and made it across Iowa and Wisconsin no sweat.
Jonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:38 AM   #47
bosco
Raybanned

Oddometer: 11,590
Ivory Soap

Bar soap works very well to plug holes in gas tanks.

I've plugged holes big enough to stick your finger in and had the "patch" last for several days.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #48
Spode
Malcontent

Oddometer: 5,511
Heh, this thread brought back memories...

Back in my younger days, me and 3 friends were driving my beater '65 mustang (200ci inline 6) back to Fayetteville from Myrtle Beach. Just outside MB I took off from a light, the drivers side motor mount broke, and the entire engine torqued up and to the right, ripping the top radiator hose neck right out of the radiator.

It's now dark on a Sunday night, on the side of a 2 lane highway, but we have assorted tools and crap and about 3 cases of beer in the trunk. After drinking several beers to allow the engine to cool down some, we took stock of the situation.

We used a couple of bent coat hangers and some duct tape layered with that yellow "gorilla snot" weatherstrip adhesive to sort of reattach the hose neck to the radiator. We then used some scrap wire and another bent hanger to "tie" the 2 halves of the broken motor mount together. We topped off the radiator with beer and urine and hit the road.

I couldn't accelerate too hard without torquing the motor over and undoing our work, so we trundled along like a turtle, driving slow and drinking beer. We had to stop a few times to "refill" the radiator since our repair wasn't pressure-tight, but we managed to get it back home, billowing a steam cloud of beer and piss.

Spode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #49
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,594
For hydraulic clutches that use mineral oil rather than brake fluid, I use baby oil. It is mineral oil, is dirt cheap, and (maybe most important) you can get it in any town that has babies.

I got a 20 oz. bottle on sale for $1.99

Edit: I should add that this was not my idea. I saw it somewhere and did a little internet search to find that others were having good luck with it too.
I have been using it for several months now, and it works well.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962

MortimerSickle screwed with this post 10-05-2008 at 10:13 PM
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #50
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,594
Trying to get the clutch oil jet out of your LC8? Once you get it unscrewed, stick a wooden matchstick into the hole. It is small enough to slip in, and large enough to grip it.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:09 AM   #51
andmoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,187
Learn to use chopsticks boys.

Long sticks/wires/rods can reach into the black holes of the engine compartment or hold things that require the hands of a 3 year old.

Secret assembly method in yapan.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #52
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072
Bump.

Blessed be the Lord my God, who prepares my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:04 PM   #53
greatnortoni
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco
I broke the shift lever off my Buell one day and used vice-grips, a small branch and duct tape to fabricate a new one, which I then used for several days while waiting for the new one to arrive.
The welds on my R100GS/PD shift lever broke in Durango Co. I went into a body shop (since I am a body man) I knew they had a mig welder.
They owner tried to sell me the place, building, tools, wrecker, antique mig welder and all!
He seemed a bit put out by my choking after he told me the price.
Greatnortoni
greatnortoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:22 PM   #54
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,788
Friend of mine had a 78 HD Sportster. Yea, I know an AMF POS. However this was 1980. We were out on a ride whn all of a sudden he comes to a stop. I'm thinking..not a freaking again.

Turns out one of the voltage regulator wires chafed and shorted burning the wires. There was about 2 inches of wire left on 2 of them coming out of the regulator. I was thinking it was toast, but what the hell, had to give it a shot.

I took the wires out of the rear turn signals, spliced it up, a bit of electrical tape and it ran. Got him home.

Ever heard the old joke...Why do HD riders like riding with BMW guys?
Got somebody along to carry the tools.
Funny...now the HD guys don't need tools. Seems its the BMW's breaking down ...
Jamming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:38 PM   #55
C Squared
Now with TURBO!

Oddometer: 6,614
I have built/repaired all sorts of vehicles with whatever is at hand.

Asprin in Battery cells will work for awhile but will eventaully fail. I have done this on many ocasions and have even tested the results with proffesional tools! Batteries have ben made to last 6 months longer... Just a band-aid fix, but will work to get to the next pay check some times.

Drainplug fell out of my R100R at 80MPH in S. MN. and shed al lof the Amsoil onto my rear tire No fastener on the bike has the same size and pitch! Spare spark plug is the same size....wrong pitch...But will work with teflon tape for a few hnred miles until a proper fix is made and no threads were wrecked!

Snaped a rear axel in my FJ40 Land cruiser deep in the woods...
Removed the tire/wheel and replaced the drum brake and chained a tree to the frame behind the front tire and made a travois (sp) under the rear axel...
Drove out of the woods maybe 5 miles with this. 3rd gear and up to 30MPH
I have pics somewhere.

I never freak out, just think and adapt.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:52 AM   #56
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer: 4,912
super huge Allen bolts?

And not a wrench in sight large enough?

Use two smaller wrenches and jam them into the larger space.
Like this:

It got me over Cottonwood Pass and down to Buena Vista. MC mechanic in town could only get 1/4 turn tighter w. his allen socket.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:37 PM   #57
Grider Pirate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
My personal best - long

Driving my Toyota from Tucson AZ to Rapid City, SD in August. 30 miles after refueling in Los Cruces, NM, said Toyota sputters and dies, like it ran out of fuel. I pull over, scratch my head for a while wondering WTF? I removed the air cleaner, and the site glass window in the float bowl, and it is by the O-Jesus, dry as a bone. Hmmmm. Full tank of gas, none getting to carb. Bummer. Scratch head some more. Light bulb comes on. I fly model planes. How do we get fuel to the motor? Run a little pressure into the fuel tank! This Toyota has a non-vented cap, and a charcoal canister under the hood. Hmmmmm. I found the line from the canister to the tank, and detached it from the canister. It wouldn't really reach anywhere, so I attached the radiator overflow hose to it, and some windshield washer tubing fit into that very nicely. I blew into the conglomertion of hoses, like blowing up a ballon, but stopped abruptly when I heard a "Poink!" from the tank. Fifteen seconds later, fuel is pouring out the site glass hole in the float bowl, that I hadn't thought to replace yet! Glass back in, Air filter back on, hose careully taped up and through the driver side window. I'm on the road again, running perfectly fine, except having to put a lungful of air into the tank every 15 miles or so!! The Hitchikers I picked up south of Sante Fe thought it was weird, but WTF, it worked! To hold the air, I closed the window on the tube, pinching it shut.
The short version: I blew my Toyota from Los Cruces to Rapid City.

http://griderpirate.smugmug.com/
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum
Grider Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:33 PM   #58
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grider Pirate
Driving my Toyota from Tucson AZ to Rapid City, SD in August. 30 miles after refueling in Los Cruces, NM, said Toyota sputters and dies, like it ran out of fuel. I pull over, scratch my head for a while wondering WTF? I removed the air cleaner, and the site glass window in the float bowl, and it is by the O-Jesus, dry as a bone. Hmmmm. Full tank of gas, none getting to carb. Bummer. Scratch head some more. Light bulb comes on. I fly model planes. How do we get fuel to the motor? Run a little pressure into the fuel tank! This Toyota has a non-vented cap, and a charcoal canister under the hood. Hmmmmm. I found the line from the canister to the tank, and detached it from the canister. It wouldn't really reach anywhere, so I attached the radiator overflow hose to it, and some windshield washer tubing fit into that very nicely. I blew into the conglomertion of hoses, like blowing up a ballon, but stopped abruptly when I heard a "Poink!" from the tank. Fifteen seconds later, fuel is pouring out the site glass hole in the float bowl, that I hadn't thought to replace yet! Glass back in, Air filter back on, hose careully taped up and through the driver side window. I'm on the road again, running perfectly fine, except having to put a lungful of air into the tank every 15 miles or so!! The Hitchikers I picked up south of Sante Fe thought it was weird, but WTF, it worked! To hold the air, I closed the window on the tube, pinching it shut.
The short version: I blew my Toyota from Los Cruces to Rapid City.

OK, you win. Nothing more to see here, folks. Contest is over...
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:43 PM   #59
C Squared
Now with TURBO!

Oddometer: 6,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer
OK, you win. Nothing more to see here, folks. Contest is over...
Yup, I have done way strange stuff. but that is just too cool in a sort of Damn, who'd a thunk kinda way

i mighta used air from the spare tire like old VW washer fluid but you da man for that there trick.

I am going to tell my students about that tomorrow in class.

Thinking outside of the box with knowledge from inside the box!
Old 10-22-2008, 06:01 PM   #60
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,393
Driving my old Volvo sedan in pouring rain.... klunk.... and the wipers quit. I investigated and found the wiper motor had broken mounts and there was no roadside repair possible so I disonnected the motor and ran a rope throgh the windows and tied them to the wiper blades and made it home in manual mode.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote