I don't give a damn about OG 36 50.70%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2004, 09:23 AM   #31
R1150GSA
Saint "Alloy"sius

Oddometer: 26,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Rider
I don't know how he fit that huge ego behind that catcher's equipment.
Ever seen the size of Timmy Mac's head? That's got to be an 8½" hat size. Plenty of room for that ego of his.
IBA #17734
R1150GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:01 AM   #32
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro
Can you possibly take partisianship out of this for a moment? Foxified my ass. Fucking idiot. These guys are from NBC, they are cheering on our competitors, and nit-picking every possible part of the U.S. performance. It's maddening to listen to them.
I suppose I could get angry, but let me explain what I mean.

The term "Foxified" was explained to my by a TV news reporter as I was complaining about how TV news had evolved over the past few years.

She explained that when Fox came on the scene, the normally tranquil (and some say, quite boring) TV news programs all had to adjust. Fox, with their sensationalism, was just capturing too much market share. People didn't want PBS, they wanted the National Enquirer, and Fox delivered it.

So now pretty much all mainstream media (including sports coverage) has adopted the Fox model. Hell, look at CNN headline news; can you remember how it was when it first started? What about USA today? It's a rag now compared to the past.

Retro, "Foxified" isn't an attack on Bill Reilly (or O'Reilly, or whatever his name is). It also isn't an attack against the conservative media. On the contrary, it's more of an attack on the liberalism of the media to make things more exciting.

(Is it ok if I attack the liberal media?)

The only things that haven't changed too much are the Wall Street Journal, PBS news, and NPR (plus a few newspapers overseas). And I long for those days of simpler reporting.
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:04 AM   #33
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Quote:
Fucking idiot.
Oh, and

Take a laxative, huh? You're carrying too much baggage.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:23 AM   #34
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer: 33,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by He-Lob
I suppose I could get angry, but let me explain what I mean.

The term "Foxified" was explained to my by a TV news reporter as I was complaining about how TV news had evolved over the past few years.

She explained that when Fox came on the scene, the normally tranquil (and some say, quite boring) TV news programs all had to adjust. Fox, with their sensationalism, was just capturing too much market share. People didn't want PBS, they wanted the National Enquirer, and Fox delivered it.

So now pretty much all mainstream media (including sports coverage) has adopted the Fox model. Hell, look at CNN headline news; can you remember how it was when it first started? What about USA today? It's a rag now compared to the past.

Retro, "Foxified" isn't an attack on Bill Reilly (or O'Reilly, or whatever his name is). It also isn't an attack against the conservative media. On the contrary, it's more of an attack on the liberalism of the media to make things more exciting.

(Is it ok if I attack the liberal media?)

The only things that haven't changed too much are the Wall Street Journal, PBS news, and NPR (plus a few newspapers overseas). And I long for those days of simpler reporting.
This is a bullshit explanation and you know it. You took a cheap shot, and I called you on it. Why not just say, "Yeah, cheap shot, I couldn't resist."

BTW, I don't have FOX News, I think O'Reilly is a patronizing fucktard, and that whole explnation from the newsgirl was sour grapes whining by people who had the game changed on them by way of content and perspective, not delivery.

Do you not remember the CNN O.J. coverage? Pretty sensational, No? Or do you suffer from the same selective memory that seems to have infested the liberal posts of late?

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:30 AM   #35
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,869
Quote:
Do you not remember the CNN O.J. coverage? Pretty sensational, No? Or do you suffer from the same selective memory that seems to have infested the liberal posts of late?

all the FOX conspiracists suffer from this condition.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 01:13 PM   #36
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Quote:
This is a bullshit explanation and you know it. You took a cheap shot, and I called you on it. Why not just say, "Yeah, cheap shot, I couldn't resist."

BTW, I don't have FOX News, I think O'Reilly is a patronizing fucktard, and that whole explnation from the newsgirl was sour grapes whining by people who had the game changed on them by way of content and perspective, not delivery.

I don't get it. Does anyone else think I took a cheap shot? Help me please.

Retro, I think we're agreeing on pretty much everything (except for your attacks. those suck.)

Yep, "O'Reilly is a patronizing fucktard,"

Yep, "CNN O.J. coverage? Pretty sensational,"

Yep, "content and perspective" has changed. But "delivery" has changed also.

Why so upset?
Old 08-17-2004, 02:26 PM   #37
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by He-Lob
I don't get it. Does anyone else think I took a cheap shot? Help me please.

Retro, I think we're agreeing on pretty much everything (except for your attacks. those suck.)

Yep, "O'Reilly is a patronizing fucktard,"

Yep, "CNN O.J. coverage? Pretty sensational,"

Yep, "content and perspective" has changed. But "delivery" has changed also.

Why so upset?
The point is that it is the commentators themselves who are so annoying. There is nothing tabloid or "in your face" about their commentary. Their limitless joy and cheering for our competitors, while belittling the performance of the American atheletes is tiresome.

There is nothing "Foxified" about this. I'm disagree completely with the way you tied a political knot in this issue by brining up FoxNews as a derogatory entity. Though I've seen FoxNews in the past, I've never had FoxNews, but I had CNN and all the rest before I downgraded cable service, and they've been sensationalizing news for at least 12 or 13 years, long before FOX even had a news station.

I disagree with your characterization, and your explanation caused further disagreement. The cheap shot wasn't at me, but inventing and introducing perceived link between obnoxious behavior and FoxNews is a cheap shot, IMHO.

Old 08-17-2004, 03:27 PM   #38
the Luz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Laugh good coverage

I think they are doing a good job. I read that they are showing "all" competitions at some time. They have never done this. Usually, if the US is not involved, or if they don't know much about it, it doesn't get shown. I'm a fencer, and they are showing fencing about 4 times. Today, there will be an American woman that will win a medal in Womens Sabre. This has never happened. It might be a gold! USA, USA, USA, etc.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:26 PM   #39
FredM
Ding Ding

Oddometer: 5,557
OG is just a fake. They are all doped
If we don't prosecute Bush and Cheney and Wolfowitz and Rumsfeld and Yoo and Rice and Powell and scores of other top Bush officials who took part in the destruction of fundamental American values, there will be nothing--not even an idea--left of the United States.
FredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 06:23 PM   #40
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by komet
College football is around the corner and all this garbage will soon be forgotten. SEC rocks!
Football - that lame fooking ' can I put more padding somewhere' thing you call football !! -

Fer a person of culcha komet, your sporting interests are from the gutter - now the REAL Footy is on this Saturdee - turn to Fox Sports and watch the Aussies destroy the Jappies - Sout Afrikeens - Super 12 Rugby komet, the game played in Heaven .....
slowbike smallpenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 06:25 PM   #41
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredM
OG is just a fake. They are all doped
Well, aren't we Mr. Positive?
Old 08-17-2004, 06:26 PM   #42
Augie
Nincompoop

Oddometer: 27,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by komet
College football is around the corner and all this garbage will soon be forgotten. SEC rocks!
SEC and college football sucks
Augie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 06:32 PM   #43
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

We just took our first medal ever in fencing, and it's a gold. Way to go U.S.A. Women's Beach Volleyball on right now. We are winning. Acutally, 4 atheletic women in bikinis.....I'm winning.

Old 08-17-2004, 06:37 PM   #44
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Rider
Well, aren't we Mr. Positive?
I watched an interview on the BBC last week of Mark Spitz - what a fascinating bloke - anyway he said much the same, most of the drugs they test for the Athletes know - so they use others.
slowbike smallpenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 06:51 PM   #45
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

I think we're agreeing a hell of a lot more than we're disagreeing:

Quote:
The point is that it is the commentators themselves who are so annoying. There is nothing tabloid or "in your face" about their commentary. Their limitless joy and cheering for our competitors, while belittling the performance of the American atheletes is tiresome.
Couldn't agree with you more. Except that I think it IS "tabloid."

Quote:
There is nothing "Foxified" about this. I'm disagree completely with the way you tied a political knot in this issue by brining up FoxNews as a derogatory entity. Though I've seen FoxNews in the past, I've never had FoxNews, but I had CNN and all the rest before I downgraded cable service, and they've been sensationalizing news for at least 12 or 13 years, long before FOX even had a news station.
I agree completely with you that we've had a problem with sensationalized news for a long time. I think, though, that it got much worse when Fox got so popular. And I believe that the major media outlets have tended to follow Fox's example.

Quote:
I disagree with your characterization, and your explanation caused further disagreement. The cheap shot wasn't at me, but inventing and introducing perceived link between obnoxious behavior and FoxNews is a cheap shot, IMHO.
Hmmm. Don't know what to say about this one. If I stand accused of taking cheap shots at the news media, then I plead guilty. But I'll probably do it again, cause I feel that they are letting us down by chasing the $ and not remaining respectable.

I guess I also plead a little guilty about hijacking this thread.

But I meant no "political" shots at anything or anyone, except the media. And I guess the media is more left leaning than right leaning, huh? So this should be a good thing, huh?

Well, in light of this thread, I just couldn't send this rather important company email I was writing to about 500 people that has to come across perfectly. I got "Sendus Interruptus."

"Shit, what if I can't write? What if Retro is right? (not likely, but ) So I forwarded to a Communications lady and asked her to proof it.

See what you did? No more Jo Momma for me while at work!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: