User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2008, 11:54 PM   #871
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
GP-110s

I have GP-110s on mine and they work well so far.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:18 AM   #872
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
The DR200 sprocket is model "589", this DRZ400 one is "536".
As soon as I get the sprocket I'll send a comparison report.
The "536" sprocket fits perfect. Same thickness and pretty much same offset. I took some pictures but there's almost nothing to show, it's such a close match.
The only tiny difference was that the original DR200 sprocket has a 0.4mm flange on the "inside" side of the sprocket, putting the chain that much further outboard. The DRZ400 sprocket I got is completely flat on the inside.
But that is so infinitesimal difference it matter not at all.

The stock chain was long enough but only barely. I like my chain loose and now the adjusters are all the way at minimum. (the bike has <400 miles on it so chain is still going to stretch some)

--
Mikko
FlyingFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:26 AM   #873
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
The "536" sprocket fits perfect. Same thickness and pretty much same offset. I took some pictures but there's almost nothing to show, it's such a close match.
The only tiny difference was that the original DR200 sprocket has a 0.4mm flange on the "inside" side of the sprocket, putting the chain that much further outboard. The DRZ400 sprocket I got is completely flat on the inside.
But that is so infinitesimal difference it matter not at all.

The stock chain was long enough but only barely. I like my chain loose and now the adjusters are all the way at minimum. (the bike has <400 miles on it so chain is still going to stretch some)

--
Mikko
Thanks for the report. I will be doing mine shortly. The 200 is my winter bike. It is easy to get the salt dust off.
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:22 PM   #874
wardie
2 Wheel Power Hour

Oddometer: 206
re sprocketr change on DR 200

I changed my rear sprocket from a 45 to a 41 to generate speed for the Lake Erie Loop Cannonball Run I did this year.

The gearing is now 15-41. I have hit 78 mph (GPS verified) but it sounded like a sewing machine and wouldn't reccomend it but the bike can cruise nicely at 60-62mph no problem. I've also taken it up in the mountgains where the hills are really high and dirt/rocks and the little bugger surprised me. If I could hold on it would go!

I am awaiting my Happy Trails hard case mounts for the DR 200. I will have the bike switched over to the IRC GP 110's and shortened the chain while I'm at it.

Wardie
wardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:03 PM   #875
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

New Bars

Yesterday we did very nice loop on some local backroads, perfect mix of dirt, pavement, twisties and wine tasting
To reward the little DR for a job well done, today I gave it new aluminum handlebars along with pair of handguards.

The handlebars are "WR bend" which I shortened by 17mm of each end to accommodate my parter's petite dimensions. Handguards are from Moose.

Had to make a small cut-out to the handguards for the front brake hose...

Also had to relocate the turn signals from their stock mounts, they interfered with inboard handguard mounting points.
Made pair of small brackets to mount the flashers bit further down. Also, I think it looks better this way, less "stuff" around the front of the bike:

Next project, a luggage rack.

--
Mikko
Old 11-16-2008, 09:12 PM   #876
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 20,962
Nice looking bars and guards!

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:00 AM   #877
Rvrhwki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Fuel line size for Raptor petcock install?

For those of you that have done the raptor petcock swap what size fuel line did you use to find a happy medium between the much larger outlet of the new petcock and the smaller carb inlet? Are there reducer fittings available to put between two sizes of fuel line?
Rvrhwki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #878
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Maybe not a happy medium but I used the original DR200 fuel line.
Bit tight on the Raptor petcock but it did fit. So far so good.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:27 PM   #879
RussellH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
FlyingFinn, was there any noticeable difference going to the 16T rear sprocket? Did the revs drop at higher speeds? What about the throttle response, any change there?

I'm considering buying a 2003 DR200SE for my first bike, I'm 5-11, 155lbs. It probably won't see much freeway riding except the occasional short bursts but the bigger streets around here require you to get up to 55-60mph quickly to keep up with the traffic. And on the freeways everyone's doing 75-80mph here in SoCal.
RussellH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:36 PM   #880
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellH
FlyingFinn, was there any noticeable difference going to the 16T rear sprocket? Did the revs drop at higher speeds? What about the throttle response, any change there?

I'm considering buying a 2003 DR200SE for my first bike, I'm 5-11, 155lbs. It probably won't see much freeway riding except the occasional short bursts but the bigger streets around here require you to get up to 55-60mph quickly to keep up with the traffic. And on the freeways everyone's doing 75-80mph here in SoCal.
I still have the stock sprockets on mine. One time I rode at 75 mph on I-90 from Medora to Dickinson, North Dakota. A headwind would have knocked me back to 50 or 60. But I weigh 200 pounds, and I had camping equipment on the bike.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:18 AM   #881
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

The 16T makes less difference than you'd think. Top speed is not any higher but cruising at 40mph to 60mph feels less tiring, the bike just hums along and feels less busy.

Our DR is rarely ridden off-road, mostly on local streets and small back roads. And even when off-road nothing technical, just easy/intermediate trails in the ORV park. The 16T will stay in place.

--
Mikko
Old 11-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #882
wardie
2 Wheel Power Hour

Oddometer: 206
Dr 200 road gearing

I downsized my rear sprocket from a 45 to a 41. Gearing is now 15-41. This does two things. Lower revs and gives me pretty good top speed (mid 70's) and enhances my cruising speed. Although acceleration in first and second is better when you short shift rather than wind out it does do very well climbing. I've had it up in the mountains and it would go anywhere I could hang on!

My only wish was for a 6 speed other than that it's a great bike. I'm planning a trip from Ohio to Nova Scotia in June 09' on this little bugger. If anyone is interested let me know.

I just switched to IRC GP 110's and installed a Happy Trails rack for aluminum panniers. I've also added a Garmin Quest II GPS, battery tender and auxillary power outputs.

I'll try and up load some pics. Wardie
wardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #883
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
from where in Ohio

[quote=wardie]I downsized my rear sprocket from a 45 to a 41. Gearing is now 15-41. This does two things. Lower revs and gives me pretty good top speed (mid 70's) and enhances my cruising speed. Although acceleration in first and second is better when you short shift rather than wind out it does do very well climbing. I've had it up in the mountains and it would go anywhere I could hang on!

My only wish was for a 6 speed other than that it's a great bike. I'm planning a trip from Ohio to Nova Scotia in June 09' on this little bugger. If anyone is interested let me know.

I just switched to IRC GP 110's and installed a Happy Trails rack for aluminum panniers. I've also added a Garmin Quest II GPS, battery tender and auxillary power outputs.

First off good win against U of M (I live near Ann Arbor but love to see them loose). From where are you starting your trip to NS? I may be interested in going part way. I am 57 and have a 06 DR200SE in addition to my Strom and dirt bikes. Taking the 200 on a tour would be a blast. My son and I are thinking about one to the UP eh.
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #884
planetmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Another Use for the little DR200

Look ma no health insurance.

Another use for the little DR. What sprocket ratios do you think he's using?
Attached Images

planetmike screwed with this post 12-01-2008 at 01:44 PM
planetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #885
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,050
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote