can you post some pics??
Old 11-20-2008, 05:24 PM   #2102
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
can you post some pics??
Don't have any, but I saw an X a couple of months ago with the set up you're talkin about.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #2103
DESERT SCORPION
SINGLE TRACK

Oddometer: 122
Quick Release Fuel Bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockemRdr
Doh! That is a great idea. Thanks for the helpful reply.
I got rid of the oem bolts when I did my canister to MSR fuel bottle conversion. I wanted to be able to remove the bottle quickly with no tools. I made a couple of eye-type wing nuts out of aluminum, and installed permanent studs of the correct length. The whole affair is secured against loosening with a mini-bungie (obtainable at various bicycle shops). Even when the bottle is removed, the straps are held in place awaiting reassembly.
Attached Images

DESERT SCORPION is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:08 AM   #2104
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Sweeet setup DS!

Old 11-25-2008, 05:14 PM   #2105
OR Trail
looks for unlocked gates

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockemRdr

So my question is: for those of you that installed the MSR bottle in the canister straps, did you have trouple installing the smaller of the two straps? I was having a hell of a time getting the screw to catch the threads of the nut (that kept popping out the back of the bracket). Finally I went a got a longer bolt and glued the nut into the bracket. This fixed the problem, but now my second question. Is the intent to remove the bottle when gas is needed, or do you just plan to siphon it into the tank?
My solution was to put a longer bolt on the shorter strap and bolt the frame side of the bracket in place. Then I put a wingnut on the outside to hold hold the strap tight. When I want to add the fuel I just unscrew the wing nut and slide the bottle out, but the bracket is still held on by the nut on the frame side.
OR Trail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:16 PM   #2106
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
So, I've been bitten by the X-Challenge bug (but this happens quite frequently). I've read post till I'm tired and will start again tomorrow.

I've been trying to sort out which big DS I might want to buy, planned on buying this spring, but there are still '07 X-C's in the Beemer warehouse from what I've been told.

My local dealer has 3, but they've all been regestered (2 are demos), which means no rebate and warrenty already counting down. They may have shot themselves in the foot by regestering earlier and perhaps collecting a smaller rebate (from what I can deduct)

So, I've found a dealer in Dallas area that will get me a non-ABS model for $6311 and I pay my own taxes/tags in my state. I'm sorley temped to splurge now for that price instead of waiting till spring.....

Also, any issues with buying a discontinued model???

FWIW, should I jump????
Old 11-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #2107
Agave
El Corazón

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55
So, I've been bitten by the X-Challenge bug (but this happens quite frequently). I've read post till I'm tired and will start again tomorrow.

I've been trying to sort out which big DS I might want to buy, planned on buying this spring, but there are still '07 X-C's in the Beemer warehouse from what I've been told.

My local dealer has 3, but they've all been regestered (2 are demos), which means no rebate and warrenty already counting down. They may have shot themselves in the foot by regestering earlier and perhaps collecting a smaller rebate (from what I can deduct)

So, I've found a dealer in Dallas area that will get me a non-ABS model for $6311 and I pay my own taxes/tags in my state. I'm sorley temped to splurge now for that price instead of waiting till spring.....

FWIW, should I jump????
That really is an amazing price for such a quality Thumper. I have had mine about a year now and have no complaints at all. It's great on the trail and very nice on the highway as well. I would pull the trigger for sure! Tons of aftermarket support, 3 year 36K warranty, great mpg, and a Rotax to top it off!
Agave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #2108
NoExit
NoProblem

Oddometer: 343
Quote:

FWIW, should I jump????
Like Morey Finkle says: Do it! Do it!

There are disputes about whether the X-Challenge is really discontinued or not. Those who seem to know say BMW is just waiting until current stock is sold to make more as buyers catch on that BMW now makes great off-road bikes like the 650X and the 450X. In any case, the X shares an engine and many other parts with the definitely-not-discontinued G650X-Country, and BMW is still churning out original parts for bikes they haven't made in 25 years.

I had a KLR for a few years, then an R1200GSA for a season, and now an X for the past seven months/7,000 km, about half of that off road (and I mean off-road, not gravel road). It's the first truly dual purpose bike I've ridden. Put a new seat or an AirHawk on it, and you can ride gravel and paved backroads for days. Put a beefier bash plate, handguards and knobbies on it, and it'll handle whooped out single track, deep sand, mud, whatever.

Or, do nothing at all to it, and still do all that. It's great for zipping around the city too. The only time I feel it's inadequate is when I have to spend hours on a long, straight, fast highway. It's still better than the KLR at long, straight hauls, and that's the only thing the GSA did better.

I'm a pretty average rider, and the bike makes me look like a pro in all kinds of rough stuff. I like it more every time I ride it.

NoExit screwed with this post 11-26-2008 at 06:17 AM
NoExit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #2109
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Man-o-man, thats what I like about this forum. There's always others who will agree with you when you're trying to justify getting a new bike. Thanks, I need the encourgement!!
Old 11-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #2110
Skaife
--------------

Oddometer: 191
Quote:

FWIW, should I jump????
I believe BMW will continue to provide OEM parts for discontinued models for 30 years so that shouldn't weigh too heavily on your decision.

$6,300 is a great price! I'd suggest you jump on it before someone else does. Eventually they'll be gone and you'll have to spend several thousand $ more to find something comperable.
Skaife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #2111
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Well, $6300's not too far about the XR's, DR's and KLR's, and even tho I've only ridden the XRL, I would like to the Beemer is a much better bike.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:47 PM   #2112
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Quote:
Well, $6300's not too far about the XR's, DR's and KLR's, and even tho I've only ridden the XRL, I would like to the Beemer is a much better bike.
It is that much better bike than the XRL. I sold my BRP and bought an X. You can't even compare the 2. X has twice the hp, fuel injection, great suspension and brakes. Find my self spending way more time than I should in the air and on the back wheel. Just do it, do it!

Old 11-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #2113
Sonymalc
I'm Just Here

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler
Find my self spending way more time than I should in the air and on the back wheel. Just do it, do it!
Funny I thought it was something wrong with the bike cause it is the only bike I own/owned that seems to do that. But if other people are having the same problem with it. Mabye its a normal charactaristic of the bike???

FOLLOW ME ON MY SPOT

2007 BMW G650X Challenge
2004 Husqvarna TE250 now a 310
1997 BMW R1100RT
1997 Fantic Section 250
1972 Honda SL70
1990 Honda Transalp (sold)
Dreaming of that new GS1200

Lowrance iFINDER Expedition™ C
Lowrance XOG
Sonymalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:17 AM   #2114
Johnnyboxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExit?NoProblem

I had a KLR for a few years, then an R1200GSA for a season, and now an X for the past seven months/7,000 km, about half of that off road (and I mean off-road, not gravel road). It's the first truly dual purpose bike I've ridden. Put a new seat or an AirHawk on it, and you can ride gravel and paved backroads for days. Put a beefier bash plate, handguards and knobbies on it, and it'll handle whooped out single track, deep sand, mud, whatever.

Or, so nothing at all to it, and still do all that.

I'm a pretty average rider, and the bike makes me look like a pro in all kinds of rough stuff. I like it more every time I ride it.
So very true

The XChallenge is the best dualsport out there at the moment..................bar none

There are better, more focussed Enduro bikes - but it beats all the other Jap dualsports................hands down

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:55 AM   #2115
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,377
It's also great for commuting.. my 1200GS collects dust now.. plus the X is great on gas. When I chatted with the BMW Canada rep, he pretty much said what NoExit said above.. it's not officially discontinued, it's just out of production and may go back into production again.. At any rate, I knew that when I bought mine and I'm not worried about parts either.