Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2008, 08:14 PM   #16
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 1,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawidual
Might be moving to Kona...!!!

Went over with a buddy that had a job interview last week.
Im sold on the place, looking to rent something in the 1500 - 2k range.

Any big islanders around?
Dude -

Didn't you interview in Kona about Two YEARS ago?!?!?!?!?!? Bout time you guys settled on a Pay, Vacation,Health, and Riding Plan...

Motardjunkie started a Hawaii thread here a while back.

For definitive Oahu and Kauai riding videos check out Phaulgais' Videos on You Tube, there's Oahu and Kauai videos to give you an idea of whats being ridden. Hope to hell this enbeds....

http://www.youtube.com/v/0GqCoMVeldY&ampamphl=en&ampampfs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Edit: Screw me......

Southest US Thumper screwed with this post 12-09-2008 at 08:27 PM
Southest US Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:07 PM   #17
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,328
Try this.... I think. Could be Oahu or Kauai, I've ridden both.

http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?swf...3E&ampamphl=en

NCW Mike

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:58 AM   #18
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,847
I wish it was 2 yrs ago, was set on Roatan back then...
My buddy is starting his gig in Kona on 2/1.

We will probably start in a cheaper 2br close to Kona.
Then start searching for a dog friendly place with a larger yard.
Have seen some nice 3b 2 ba places on a 1/2 - 1 acre for @ $1500-1800.
Above Kona, or 8-10 miles south.

Im probably out of here in 4 months...
Have to wait on the dog stuff. Cool thing is they have a
instant release with no quarentine if you get your shit together before arrival.
2 rabies shots, blood sample to lab, 120 day incubation for rabies,
so you have to wait 4 months for the good test result.

Then me & the pups can fly over on the same plane!

Going to bring over my 4x4 van & the KLX400.
If I get a 950 SE before I leave it is getting slow boated over too.
Chances are better picking one up while Im still mainland me thinks.

PS.
If you know anybody renting a dog friendly 3b 2ba place, selling a 950 SE,
or a decent zodiac with a 25hp or bigger motor let me know.

PPS.
Mods, can we please get a Hawaii forum. I mean come on, Alaska has it's own & it's cold & shit...

Beers & fish on me when we show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper
Dude -

Didn't you interview in Kona about Two YEARS ago?!?!?!?!?!? Bout time you guys settled on a Pay, Vacation,Health, and Riding Plan...

Motardjunkie started a Hawaii thread here a while back.

For definitive Oahu and Kauai riding videos check out Phaulgais' Videos on You Tube, there's Oahu and Kauai videos to give you an idea of whats being ridden. Hope to hell this enbeds....

http://www.youtube.com/v/0GqCoMVeldY&ampamphl=en&ampampfs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Edit: Screw me......
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark

dirtypumpkin screwed with this post 12-10-2008 at 03:11 AM
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:34 PM   #19
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
I wish it was 2 yrs ago, was set on Roatan back then...
My buddy is starting his gig in Kona on 2/1.

We will probably start in a cheaper 2br close to Kona.
Then start searching for a dog friendly place with a larger yard.
Have seen some nice 3b 2 ba places on a 1/2 - 1 acre for @ $1500-1800.
Above Kona, or 8-10 miles south.

Im probably out of here in 4 months...
Have to wait on the dog stuff. Cool thing is they have a
instant release with no quarentine if you get your shit together before arrival.
2 rabies shots, blood sample to lab, 120 day incubation for rabies,
so you have to wait 4 months for the good test result.

Then me & the pups can fly over on the same plane!

Going to bring over my 4x4 van & the KLX400.
If I get a 950 SE before I leave it is getting slow boated over too.
Chances are better picking one up while Im still mainland me thinks.

PS.
If you know anybody renting a dog friendly 3b 2ba place, selling a 950 SE,
or a decent zodiac with a 25hp or bigger motor let me know.

PPS.
Mods, can we please get a Hawaii forum. I mean come on, Alaska has it's own & it's cold & shit...

Beers & fish on me when we show up.
Believe me, I know the Q thing is rough, brought a Ridgeback over in '92 before there was the "Take care of it before you come rule" and I also let a guy and his wife use my old house while I was overseas so they could be closer to their pup that was incarcerated in a Kea'au facility....

Absolutely right on buying before arrival, over here prices are highly inflated and 950's are few and far in between...

My advice is to dump the 950 and look for a single cylinder plated bike in the 450 cubes or less range, better yet a plate an real enduro, you'll run out of places to ride real quick with the twin. The KLX will be fine for maybe the first six months and then you'll want to get serious, a motard would last much longer. Of course from Kona it won't be much fun riding to the serious trails.

What kind of dogs? We're in the market for a companion to the current Ridgeback.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:24 PM   #20
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,847
Quote:
Believe me, I know the Q thing is rough, brought a Ridgeback over in '92 before there was the "Take care of it before you come rule" and I also let a guy and his wife use my old house while I was overseas so they could be closer to their pup that was incarcerated in a Kea'au facility....

Absolutely right on buying before arrival, over here prices are highly inflated and 950's are few and far in between...

My advice is to dump the 950 and look for a single cylinder plated bike in the 450 cubes or less range, better yet a plate an real enduro, you'll run out of places to ride real quick with the twin. The KLX will be fine for maybe the first six months and then you'll want to get serious, a motard would last much longer. Of course from Kona it won't be much fun riding to the serious trails.

What kind of dogs? We're in the market for a companion to the current Ridgeback.
Have 2 sets of rims/tires for the 400 so I might fend off boredom for a little while.
I know the 950 SE might be overkill there, but Id like to have something
with a little more power for 2up stuff and running up & over the mountain.
The 690 enduro is another option, toss up, but wont be quite as nice for 2up.

My pups are shep/dobbie mix, and my buddy is bringing over his lab.
Know of any dog parks? I think almost all beaches are off limits to dogs, or am I wrong?
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:29 PM   #21
Rascus
The Realist

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzgal
Although I live in the mainland, I grew up in Mililani town on O'ahu, way back before the High School was built we used to go ride up by there (I think it was called the pits) , down through Kipapa Gulch and up to where Costco, Kaiser and all the Gentry development is today - back then it was all empty pinapple/sugar cane fields. I remember riding an XR75 on the dirt straights trying to keep up with the cars on Kam highway. You used to be able to ride up to the mountains....those were the days. Today my brother and his family pretty much go riding at the track out by Kahuku....
They still ride out that way. They park their trucks by COSTCO and run over by the mililani cemetery back through there. Normally see about 20 or 30 on Sat or Sun

Kahuku is a nice track. They are building a dirt track down on Sand Island, a full 4x4 course, not sure what the progress is on that. Also if they ever get the funding for it, they'll have some dirt tracks on the new course at Barbers, but i doubt they'll get the money for that anytime soon.

I'd recommend the hale koa as well. If your son is stationed at Schofield you may want to try "the inn" he should be able to get you reservations up there.
07 TT125LE - FOR SALE - 1200
09 CRF50 - FOR SALE - 1000
Rascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:39 AM   #22
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascus
They still ride out that way. They park their trucks by COSTCO and run over by the mililani cemetery back through there. Normally see about 20 or 30 on Sat or Sun

Kahuku is a nice track. They are building a dirt track down on Sand Island, a full 4x4 course, not sure what the progress is on that. Also if they ever get the funding for it, they'll have some dirt tracks on the new course at Barbers, but i doubt they'll get the money for that anytime soon.

I'd recommend the hale koa as well. If your son is stationed at Schofield you may want to try "the inn" he should be able to get you reservations up there.
Most of my family is still in Hawaii and we regularly visit back home. I see you're moving to Colorado soon...as you know get some excellent riding here! a hui ho!

2103 KTM 250 XCW
2103 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #23
motogon
Like wind

Oddometer: 998
Quote:
Soooo ... I was right planning to bring to Maui Cagiva Gran Canyon (for daily commute) and Husky TE510. That should cover all my island riding.

motogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #24
Rascus
The Realist

Quote:
Most of my family is still in Hawaii and we regularly visit back home. I see you're moving to Colorado soon...as you know get some excellent riding here! a hui ho!
Yup, I can't wait either. 10yrs in Hawaii was enough for me. Never got into dirt while out here though. Wife has family on Kauai so we'll still be coming back and forth I'm sure.

Want me to bring you any spam musubi or a plate lunch?
Old 12-11-2008, 04:21 PM   #25
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Quote:
Yup, I can't wait either. 10yrs in Hawaii was enough for me. Never got into dirt while out here though. Wife has family on Kauai so we'll still be coming back and forth I'm sure.

Want me to bring you any spam musubi or a plate lunch?

mahalo, ono grinds! Actually, I make'em all here! You can actually get a fair amount of 'local' stuffs here...get plenty of us Hawaiians on da mainland...well maybe not that many

2103 KTM 250 XCW
2103 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

Old 12-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #26
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Have 2 sets of rims/tires for the 400 so I might fend off boredom for a little while.
I know the 950 SE might be overkill there, but Id like to have something
with a little more power for 2up stuff and running up & over the mountain.
The 690 enduro is another option, toss up, but wont be quite as nice for 2up.

My pups are shep/dobbie mix, and my buddy is bringing over his lab.
Know of any dog parks? I think almost all beaches are off limits to dogs, or am I wrong?
No dog parks, you won't need them there is a leash law though but there are sooo many places to go where nobody will give a ratz butt (mainly in town is where people care).

Saddle Road has been neutered a bit after taking out more twisties concur the 950 would make that route a breeze, they just blessed another 9 miles of road this morning, the west side is still rough and twisty and from 6 to 19 miles is still twisty but more fun on a sportbike. OTOH there are tons of narrow twisty roads south of Kona, most running from the HWY to the shore are pretty sweet.

Quote:
If your son is stationed at Schofield you may want to try "the inn" he should be able to get you reservations up there.
IIRC: The Inn is a bit of a dive, granted it's fairly new but it's in the middle of the Post and for the $$$ you'd be better off in a more touristy kind of place down in Waikiki. The Hale Koa is in an awesome location as far as Waikiki goes we used to park down there and surf Kaiser's during the summer in the "Small kid days" well high school and college kid days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogon
I was right planning to bring to Maui Cagiva Gran Canyon (for daily commute) and Husky TE510.
510 should cover most bases, there is some gnarly single track over there that is mainly Two Stroke country though.

SPAM Musubi... I just bought a dozen fresh ones for the crew that was setting up the tent, seats, tables, etc. for the Saddle Rd. Blessing this morn. Dats sum gud stuffs!!!!
Old 12-11-2008, 09:24 PM   #27
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,328
Spam musubi... I was just talking about it at work a few days ago. I miss the food the most, I think. Plate lunch, shave ice with azuki beans, tako poki, fresh everything, ahi sashimi, roll sushi, cone sushi, crack seed, bento boxes, haupia, lumpia, kal bi pork, kalua pork, mango, starfruit, papaya, guavas, mountain apples, apple bananas,
oink oink oink!!!!!

I'm making myself hungry. Good thing I'll be going to go visit the folks on Oahu in February so I can grind.

NCW Mike

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:46 PM   #28
Rascus
The Realist

Quote:
mahalo, ono grinds! Actually, I make'em all here! You can actually get a fair amount of 'local' stuffs here...get plenty of us Hawaiians on da mainland...well maybe not that many
Nice!! I'm stocking up on Huli Huli sauce and some other local seasonings before we move out there.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:55 AM   #29
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Quote:
Nice!! I'm stocking up on Huli Huli sauce and some other local seasonings before we move out there.
You can get Huli Huli sauce here in Colorado as well as, Poi, Lau Lau, portugese sausage, seeds, Hawaiian Sun products, Aloha Shoyu , S & S saimen, fish cake, kim chee, manapua...too many local foods & ingredients to list at Pacific Merchantile in Denver...we always ending spending plenty every time we go. Recently an L & L drive in opened up in Aurora...we went to go check it out. It was ok, they have a basic selection of plate lunches that haven't been 'too mainlandized' But I make um betta!

2103 KTM 250 XCW
2103 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

Old 12-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #30
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

You No? Get Snow!!!

Jess n case you guyz neva know, get snow on top Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa rite now....

Went to get some snow for our son to play with, at 16 months it's not really a good thing to drag him up to 13,000+ Feet. Ran some snoboarders back up a couple of times in the Jeep Chairlift.....