User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2008, 09:18 AM   #31
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Oddometer: 9,543
IN!

I'm super bumming - it looked like the cold weather was passed, so I took the bike in today - wouldn't driven the hack if I wasn't still waiting on lug bolts...

as soon as I got to work it turned from rain/snow mix to snow. It's turning white pretty fast out there. I'm wishing for AT LEAST another wheel, and maybe some of those chains on the driven wheel.

I really like the old bike drive chain traction devices... that's ingenuity there.
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:33 AM   #32
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan
IN!

I'm super bumming - it looked like the cold weather was passed, so I took the bike in today - wouldn't driven the hack if I wasn't still waiting on lug bolts...

as soon as I got to work it turned from rain/snow mix to snow. It's turning white pretty fast out there. I'm wishing for AT LEAST another wheel, and maybe some of those chains on the driven wheel.

I really like the old bike drive chain traction devices... that's ingenuity there.
if your tread is deep enuf you can go get some1/2" #8 machine screws and a driver and fill the lugs front and rear and MAYBE make it home if you are careful.

Pretty slushy ride in this morning. The ice was more fun.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:37 AM   #33
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
if your tread is deep enuf you can go get some1/2" #8 machine screws and a driver and fill the lugs front and rear and MAYBE make it home if you are careful.

Pretty slushy ride in this morning. The ice was more fun.
Unfortunately no, I've got my commuting tires on and they are pretty much street tread.

It does OK in the snow/slush - KTM makes a remarkably stable bike - but I have to go DOWN the hill, and I"ll lose the stability that it has under power...

I'll probably just leave it up at the office and either take the company rig home or catch a ride with a co-worker who lives relatively close to me, or, we'll see what the weather does. It looks like the snow is tapering off right now. If it's just wet roads on the hwys I can make it okay...
Old 12-18-2008, 09:40 AM   #34
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan
Unfortunately no, I've got my commuting tires on and they are pretty much street tread.

It does OK in the snow/slush - KTM makes a remarkably stable bike - but I have to go DOWN the hill, and I"ll lose the stability that it has under power...

I'll probably just leave it up at the office and either take the company rig home or catch a ride with a co-worker who lives relatively close to me, or, we'll see what the weather does. It looks like the snow is tapering off right now. If it's just wet roads on the hwys I can make it okay...

You could try the old Harley Boyz trick and wrap rope around the rear tread for the hill. Catching a ride home sounds more sane
Probably wont see you this weekend tho'?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:50 AM   #35
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Quote:
You could try the old Harley Boyz trick and wrap rope around the rear tread for the hill. Catching a ride home sounds more sane
Probably wont see you this weekend tho'?
I thought of that as well (rope). Trying to figure out the whole discretion/valor thing though...

At this point - I doubt I'll be out there. I still don't have my lug bolts, so the hack is still on blocks in the garage. With the weather today, there's no way I'd get out there until at least tomorrow even if they came in... At this point, best case scenario puts the hack back on the road Saturday at noon, which is only 4 hours before nightfall..

Maybe we can get together after the holidays...
Old 12-19-2008, 01:38 AM   #36
Richard-NL
Sidecar Fan

Oddometer: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude
Richard,
Never seen such a thing. Does it just keep whirling the chains around so you can run over them?
Quote:
You can find these here on some schoolbusses and trucks
Yes, here's a small movie (American) to show how it works. On the bikes of course, they are not electrically engaged.

http://www.onspot.com/marketing_broadband.wvx

Richard-NL
Richard-NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:27 AM   #37
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,849
Quote:
Check sidewall clearance, particularly at the driveshaft and brake lines
ZERO clearance on the swingarm. Okay, so maybe that's an exaggeration, but there ain't enuff room for even a cable to go through there with the TKC80 mounted. I think there's a different offset from this wheel to the 'street' tire's wheel. Sumpthin' da' Bum talked about with a different spacer. So I'll go the screw route.

TT
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:26 AM   #38
Richard-NL
Sidecar Fan

Oddometer: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger
ZERO clearance on the swingarm.

Richard-NL
Richard-NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:31 AM   #39