User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
eastbloc OP
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,342
Oilhead splines and outfits

As I flog my now-1000lb+ GS outfit around, I can't help but think back to the catastrophic output spline failure I experienced at 20,000 miles, when the bike was still solo.

It's holding up so far, but the extra weight has gotta add some strain on the drivetrain overall. What do you guys think? Are there any preventative measures we could be taking?
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbloc
As I flog my now-1000lb+ GS outfit around, I can't help but think back to the catastrophic output spline failure I experienced at 20,000 miles, when the bike was still solo.

It's holding up so far, but the extra weight has gotta add some strain on the drivetrain overall. What do you guys think? Are there any preventative measures we could be taking?
Replace it with a KTM or Triumph?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
Threewheelbonnie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
I'm no expert but two thoughts spring to mind from my BMW days:

Can you fit some external means of greasing the spline? Air heads used to get grease nipples fitted during the first grease replacement.

Do you use the ground clearance? Can you convert to RXXXXR geometry and get the spline to line up in the flat road position?

Anyhow, just ride it until it fails. 20000 miles seems rather short though. I'm doing chains and sprockets about every 15000 miles. Takes about two hours and costs 150. You'd have thought BMW would be able to manage at least three times that so you just do your work in one big dose?

I think my dad's Guzzi has a universal joint? Can a BMW be so modified?

Andy
Threewheelbonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
eastbloc OP
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,342
20k _is_ short, but it's not uncommon. BMW was kind enough to pay for the parts, although I still had to dole out for the labor as I was out of warranty.

Hopefully the problem was faulty materials and not design.

Geometry-wise, my hack is already closer to an R1100R because I'm running solo suspension
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:29 AM   #5
Richard-NL
Sidecar Fan

Oddometer: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbloc

Output spline ore "cardan joint"? I think I have a worn front cardan joint at just this moment, when I hear it right.

I think it's the combination of the angle of the transmission on the GS types. The "Road" type Beemers do not seam to suffer from it that bad. But I must admit, that BMW still does not seem to have managed to make a proper transmission, especially compared to Japanes bikes. This year I allready had to take apart the transmission box (one of the bearings I found back in the oil ) needed a new clutch and changed all bearings of the cardan. At this time the shaft was OK.

After revision of the cardan joint, often grease nipples are made on it. I think I'm gonna do that too.

As a BMW rider I'm allowed to say this..... Have to admit though, that friends of mine, ironicaly say I should send some off-road pics to BMW and ask for clemency.

Richard-NL

Richard-NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
Nick in PRC.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
...............and you Beemer guys diss the Changs

Chang chat: http://cj750.forumcircle.com
Nick in PRC. is offline   Reply With Quote