ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2008, 06:46 AM   #1
Blinkerfluid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,173
South East Tour

Ok so Underkill and I are getting ready for our ride to MO (from VA) this weekend, which should be fun.. On the way back we're planning on swinging south across AR, MS, AL, GA, SC & NC and we have a couple ideas of places to go mostly based on www.roadsideamerica.com.. Anyway, just to get some extra ideas of places that might be worth visiting I figured I'd ask here.. So, does anyone have any suggestions for must see places in the South East? So far, I think we're going to the petrified forest in MS/LA, GA's Grand Canyon, and probably ride the Dragon.. Oh and see the statue of Liberty in NE AR.
Blinkerfluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:55 AM   #2
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,990
check out Billtmore House in Asheville. exit 50 I think on I 40 at Asheville. Even if you don't go up the house the intro to it is pretty good at the ticket purchase area. Makes a nice stop and some good food in Biltmore Village area as well.

If coming down I 85... it is a pretty empty drive once you leave Petersburg VA.. have gas and go pee at that point. Folks do get tickets in that area as well.

If in Cherokee the Qualla Museum and Artist area is good.

What other kinds of things are you looking for?

Stephen
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
Blinkerfluid OP
Beastly Adventurer

I think we'll probably go to the Biltmore place sometime in the spring/summer since we can do a weekend trip there.

We're just looking for anything interesting to see on the way back.. We have no real route planned just a general idea.. and we have 5 or 6 days to go from MO to VA.. No interstates either btw, neither of our bikes are really interstate worthy.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,725
http://www.barbermuseum.org/

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/marshall/home/index.html

http://www.bealestreet.com/home.html

http://www.hogsfly.com/TheRestaurant.php

http://www.scenictrace.com/

http://www.seerockcity.com/Flash/index.htm

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
underkill
Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer: 1,709
We might try to swing by the Dragon if the weather isn't too bad.. just so I can see it once before the squids set in... Do you know if the Suches store in georgia is still any fun to go to? I hear mixed reviews of it lately.. Anything else in the georgia area thats neat to see?
underkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
freaking RT
will golf for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by underkill
We might try to swing by the Dragon if the weather isn't too bad.. just so I can see it once before the squids set in... Do you know if the Suches store in georgia is still any fun to go to? I hear mixed reviews of it lately.. Anything else in the georgia area thats neat to see?

isn't T.W.O. closed this time of year??

Old 12-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,044
Underkill,

Did you guys run the shen 500 in the fall. I can remember passing a couple on a 640 and an xt after lunch right as we passed that guy who ate it on the 1150GS. My wife, who was riding her klx250 with me, was very happy to see other female dirt riders out there.

PS Do the dragon as you can see here its fun on any bike. (my wife loves to show off these pictures)

3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #8
freaking RT
will golf for food

if you are leaving in the am, that's a nasty cold front you'll be riding through

I'm guessing ya'll wiill head across WVA and KY

Old 12-21-2008, 06:58 AM   #9
Blinkerfluid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well we made it to MO, after closely watching the weather.. we suddenly got sick from work on Friday (cough cough) and left early Friday Morning.. The weather kind of sucked friday.. it was misting on us all day, I really wished it would just start raining so we could see better.. It was really warm though, I think the temps were in the upper 50's to low 60's all day.. Saturday we were out of the rain, but the temps were only in the mid 30's all day, still not too bad.. Today was the reason we left early though, here the temps were in the single digits this morning and it's only supposed to get up to the low 20's today with 20-30mph winds.. not what I would call fun riding weather.

Overall the trip was a bit more eventfull than we would have liked ;) but we made it here in one piece.. The start of our ride report is coming soon
Old 12-21-2008, 08:34 PM   #10
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkerfluid
Well we made it to MO, after closely watching the weather.. we suddenly got sick from work on Friday (cough cough) and left early Friday Morning.. The weather kind of sucked friday.. it was misting on us all day, I really wished it would just start raining so we could see better.. It was really warm though, I think the temps were in the upper 50's to low 60's all day.. Saturday we were out of the rain, but the temps were only in the mid 30's all day, still not too bad.. Today was the reason we left early though, here the temps were in the single digits this morning and it's only supposed to get up to the low 20's today with 20-30mph winds.. not what I would call fun riding weather.

Overall the trip was a bit more eventfull than we would have liked ;) but we made it here in one piece.. The start of our ride report is coming soon
Glade you made it safe.. That's all that matters. Enjoy your stay and ride back.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown

niceviewbehindbars screwed with this post 12-23-2008 at 11:38 AM
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote