User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,275
BMW conversion

I am going to look at a 62 frame with a 75/7 motor and Bender sidecar.
Motor has around 77K miles.
I havent seen the bike but it needs some maintenance things (fluids, carb rebuild/cleaning) as well as a battery.
It's got tires meant for a combination & the sidecar is easily detached.
Is there anything specific I should be looking at when I go check it out?
Any help from you fine people would be helpful.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:48 AM   #2
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Not really. It's just a BMW. Yahoo has a pretty good "Slash2 conversion" group, but several of them will tell you your rear end is going to blow any day now unless you install a /5 or /6 rear end. ? I must be special because I've been using my stock /2 frame and rear end for ... 13 or 14 years now? (How did people survive without computers?!)
If you live around hills, you will with you had a front disk- one mod I DO recommend. I have a front disk on my Earls and don't think I could live without it- but I moved from San Francisco to Asheville. Both places have major hills. Depending on how it drives, you may want to install sidecar springs.
If this is a freash build, make sure the front fork brace clears the engine case.
If you have a solo seat and the large tank was not set up right, the inside you of thigh will get the living shit pinched out of it when you don't expact it. This will cause your eyes to bulge during screaming that sounds -at first- like a tortured 12 yo girl with her face next to your ear. (I read that somewhere)

Benders are so cool I can't stand it. I hope you paid ex-whorebitant amounts of money for it. You will probably want to check the set-up with angle aluminium on bricks, and a tape measure. Just for the heck of it.
Tons of free info and a book you can download for free here; http://www.sidecar.com/megabbs/category-view.asp

You don't say if this is your first rig or not. If it is- this is NOT a motorcycle anymore and you must surrender any notions or skills you learned up to now.

As usual, this thread is useless without pictures.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

Thanks Uncle
Ill post pics as soon as I can.
The owner is out of town for the holidays so I will get more info when I go and see it. Ill keep an eye out for what you mentioned and on the slash2 site.
It is/will be my first hack and I have given up thinking of it as a 2 wheeled bike (at least in my head) Anyways my son will eventually love it (when he's old enough)
Getting a sidecar has been under my skin for some time and this combo seems to catch my fancy (Id like a Ural Sahara but dont wanna shed the $ for it!) This /2 is going for 5K
Cheeers again!

fyr screwed with this post 12-23-2008 at 11:51 AM
fyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

Hey UE
I saw this in another thread (you were in) and it looks identical to that except mine has a bench seat (corbin) and the gauges are from a /5. As I said, when I get the pics ill post em

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...reequarter.jpg

fyr screwed with this post 12-23-2008 at 11:51 AM
fyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Waddya know- I have a rig that looks a lot like that, too!
It's hard to belive something like that would be much less expensive than a Ural. You must be getting a pretty good deal.

I've had a couple of people either scare the living daylights out of them selves, or even just leave my rig parked in a field, because they didn't know how to deal with it. David Hough has a semi-decent book out, but Hal Kendall's down-loadable book is free. I would really advise doing some preperation beyond a mental "I better be careful".
Old 12-23-2008, 12:58 PM   #6
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
Waddya know- I have a rig that looks a lot like that, too!
It's hard to belive something like that would be much less expensive than a Ural. You must be getting a pretty good deal.

I've had a couple of people either scare the living daylights out of them selves, or even just leave my rig parked in a field, because they didn't know how to deal with it. David Hough has a semi-decent book out, but Hal Kendall's down-loadable book is free. I would really advise doing some preperation beyond a mental "I better be careful".
You got it although I may not have the opportunity as the snow is flying... Well I dont know anyone with a Gear up!