ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,490 76.84%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 93 4.80%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 219 11.29%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 185 9.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1939. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2008, 05:25 PM   #91
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Is there anywhere in the world outside the U.S. where lane splitting and filtering isn't customary?

I wonder why lane splitting never became the practice here in the U.S. I know in France and Italy drivers often consider traffic signals/markings to be "suggestions" rather than mandatory commands. I've lived in France and one thing I can tell you is that the U.S. seems to have WAY WAY WAY more police officers patrolling for traffic offenses.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:40 PM   #92
Advntr
Dilbert

Oddometer: 433
I voted in the poll,
I lane split where ever necessary, loud horns typically keep the nasty cagers in line. Always smile and keep moving.

Filtering sounds like a politically correct way to say
"All motorcycles to the front"
Old 12-31-2008, 05:26 PM   #93
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,738
OK, I voted yes but there would need to be some sort of control - otherwise bikers would wreak havoc. Note that in the UK lane splitting is illegal whereas filtering is legal (go ahead and try to define the difference).

The US is about the only country I know of where lane splitting is not allowed (except California of course). Unfortunately, I believe that most states may be too far gone for it to be practical to change now - even though I'd like to see it.

Everywhere I've ridden between lanes, 90%+ of drivers are aware you are there and most of those will move over to let you through. In the US, I would expect a good proportion of drivers would deliberately close the gap. Have had numerous Louisiana drivers very deliberately move to run me off the road rather than let me pass on the shoulder when I experimented with sneaking past rather than remaining stuck in a solid, barely moving jam in sweltering heat, etc. Selfish pricks would risk killing someone rather than let them "get ahead".
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:17 PM   #94
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,446
And the answer is...

So it has been about what (?) six months or so since I started this thread.

There have been a lot of great posts.

As to the poll… it would appear that the answers is a resounding

HELL YES IT SHOULD BE LEGAL!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE.
Be safe and:

RIDE RIDE RIDE
Old 01-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #95
Allgo
No Whammy,No Whammy,STOP!

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO
Yes all the way. I hate sitting in traffic after work.

While were at it, legalize (decriminalize, at least) that other thing that gets bantered about quite often.
There's just something about a million lane splitting stoners that worries me....

"some people here are just assholes that will make a fuss about anything. no matter what the anything is.

you'll figure them out if you hang around long enough." - Cyberdos
Allgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #96
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,664
There was a bill in Illinois that would have made lane splitting legal -- sadly, it was coupled to a helmet law -- the "helmets are dangerous" crew came out in force and it never made it out of committee . . . . ..

I was thinkin I'd LOVE to be able to legally split lanes here in teh Land O Lincoln, but I didn't think I'd do much of it the first year or so . . . .we got some fairly territorial drivers round here . . . .
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #97
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer: 415
Although I had ridden in CA before, I had never done any lane-splitting, until last year when my wife and I rode out there on a x-country trip. Before we got there, we said were not going to lane split while there. Then, while we were leaving Laguna Seca raceway one day after the races, we ran into about 6 miles of backed up traffic. Bikes came past us, lane splitting right up the center, and we thought "what the heck...", so off we went. We learned very quickly how to lane split safely. We were immediate converts. The only trouble is that CA drivers expect m/c's to lane split, so they aren't surprised when bikes whiz past them. I don't know how it would work if drivers unfamiliar with it would react, if it were instituted in other states.
dwestly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #98
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,780
As a auto driver, I wouldn't want bikes rapidly appearing and sharing part of my lane. IMO, The only time a motorcyclist should be able to lane split is during periods of extended stop and go traffic.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #99
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten
As a auto driver, I wouldn't want bikes rapidly appearing and sharing part of my lane. IMO, The only time a motorcyclist should be able to lane split is during periods of extended stop and go traffic.
Why? We promise we will not hurt you. The "rapidly appearing" thing is not really a problem if you are paying any sort of attention, and if you are not paying attention the bike is most likely past you before you know its there.

I guess you should not drive a car or ride a bike in CA.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:05 AM   #100
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,351
Filtering and splitting is great, until you get some close calls from cars that want to stop you, and then you realize it might not be worth it.

Its a backwards place, CA seems to know. But they have all year weather and realize motorcyclists are a bigger percentage of the population. The people who put away their bikes for winter the first sight of 50 degree weather are to blame. I fyou ommuted year round on them, cars would be used to seeing us out there more often. And people realize that motorcycles are tranportation and not toys. To some of us.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #101
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer: 1,285
Lane-splitting

Yes, lane-splitting works in cali and should elsewhere.
Unlimited speed limits work on the autobahn in Germany and should elsewhere.
The difference? Education, yes; mentality, more. I didn't think German driving was much better in Germany when I got there. They weren't, many of the drivers truly are crap. However, the adherence to the rules is better. I didn't appreciate German driving until I returned to the states for a vacation. It was so very bad, much worse than realized when you first get to Germany.
Lane splitting should be legal, but so should much higher speeds. It is practical when people know what is going on. Unfortunately, the US lives to the lowest common denominator and that is why we are declining in world power. I hope we wake up and retake our superiority (as a country) soon.
midengineracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:53 AM   #102
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by midengineracer
I didn't appreciate German driving until I returned to the states for a vacation. It was so very bad, much worse than realized when you first get to Germany.
Lane splitting should be legal, but so should much higher speeds. It is practical when people know what is going on. Unfortunately, the US lives to the lowest common denominator and that is why we are declining in world power. I hope we wake up and retake our superiority (as a country) soon.
I think there was a thread about this a few months ago, but I remember reading that the German government's driver testing and vehicle inspection requirements are WAY more strict than in the U.S. In fact, they'd be politically unacceptable here, where taking away a driver's license is viewed as a death sentence. Many European countries have policies that try to reduce the number of drivers on the roads. Far different situation here.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #103
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfurf
I think there was a thread about this a few months ago, but I remember reading that the German government's driver testing and vehicle inspection requirements are WAY more strict than in the U.S. In fact, they'd be politically unacceptable here, where taking away a driver's license is viewed as a death sentence. Many European countries have policies that try to reduce the number of drivers on the roads. Far different situation here.
UK also. A bald tire (bald meaning less than the minimum allowable tread ANYWHERE on the tire) will get you three penalty points. Twelve penalty points will earn a 12-month driving ban, so four bald tires can cost you your license. ...and there are no "drive to work" exceptions over there.

BTW most US drivers would not BELIEVE what's involved in a vehicle safety inspection in the UK - motorcycles too. I think Germany may be even tougher.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #104
AKStrom
Just call me 'Magellan'

Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast
UK also. A bald tire (bald meaning less than the minimum allowable tread ANYWHERE on the tire) will get you three penalty points. Twelve penalty points will earn a 12-month driving ban, so four bald tires can cost you your license. ...and there are no "drive to work" exceptions over there.
If that's true: Bloody hell!

We can't even get the judges here to revoke the licenses of drunk drivers on a consistent basis in a lot of states.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #105
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStrom
If that's true: Bloody hell!

We can't even get the judges here to revoke the licenses of drunk drivers on a consistent basis in a lot of states.
Mandatory minimum one year driving disqualification for first offence in UK - and as I noted earlier, there is no "drive to work" license or any other way around it. No mopeds either, as they also require a license. You'd be riding public transport or cycling.

Back on topic; provided you have a license, filtering between lanes of traffic on your motorcycle is legal. Had fun back in June, leading a US friend through Birmingham, on the M-6, at rush hour, in the pouring rain.