Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,545
The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

OK folks, I think that Yamaha's little TW200 has gotten enough press lately in a number of different threads to justify an official thread of it's own...

Lets use this thread to show and tell about our T-Dubs, and provide others with the info and opinions of their fellow ADVers.

I've got 2 TW200's. This is what they looked like when I first got them.

Bought this ugly purple one first... Bought is with 11,000 miles on it. It's a 1991 model.

Then I bought this little 1989 Smurf Edition for my wife... It's only got 1800 miles on it.

The newer model have dics brakes up front but they only have electric start. Both of mine have electric and kick start options. I've never wished that my brakes work any better than they do now. Drums on these little beaters seem to work just fine.

Just about everybody that rides a TW wants a larger fuel tank but nobody makes a large aftermarket tank for this bike. Some people have modified Clarke XT350 tanks to fit but I didn't want to go through the hassle of refitting the seat and side covers too. So I had a friend "Dead Bird" help me build a rack to carry an extra gas can (or cans). Here's what we came up with.

Next.... I hate purple! Time for some rattle-can rubberized undercoating/paint and a new ebay seat cover.

Still need to get rid of those ugly purple fork boots.

Today "Dead Bird" and I installed one of his new products on my bike.... He's now making Round Headlight Conversions and rear racks for the TW. The headlight conversion fits up as a bolt-on and should fit a large number of Yamaha enduros.

I went with a cheap $20, 7" round, Off Road lamp. It's thin and light weight since the back is cased in plastic. Dead Bird manufactured the steel protector ring and mount kit. This light is probably twice as bright as the stocker and looks way Baja.

To start...

Remove the plastic shroud and headlight... Total of five bolts and it's stripped to this.

Plug black to black and Red to Yellow.

Bolt on the new light in the OEM holes. So easy it made me .

Adjust level and direction.... And you're done!

The lamp I chose to use is just a single filament. It's hooked up to be "on" when the switch is in the High-Beam position and "off" in the low-beam position.

Let the TW200 thread begin... T-Dubbs Rule!