Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2009, 07:54 AM   #19741
brothermosley
Motorcycle Operator

Oddometer: 624
Yeeeeehooooo!

howdy DR folks,

quick story. back in october/november timeframe, i sold my beautiful r1100gs. great bike - ran like a top. but i wanted something i could honestly dual-sport. something i could drop and actually pick back up - and not worry about what i broke and how much it would cost to fix.

so i was hell bent on a used klr. took a 2007 for a spin, really liked it and eventually put it on lay away - to be picked up when things thaw out up here. so there it was, sitting on lay away and here i was reading the klr/dr & xrl forums...all of which are great and informative.

what wasn't sitting right with me was how many mods folks were having to put into their klrs. gotta fix the "doo", change all the mounting nuts, lub the swing arm, upgrade the subframe, change out the foot pegs, new shifter, etc., etc.

well, i head back down to my local dealer. turns out they've got a used 2007 dr down there...with get this, 15 miles on it! i guess the guy who owned it for a few miles ended up wanting an f800gs (don't blame em...they're sweet machines). before he relenquished his dr, he set it up with full factory connection suspension, skid plate and few other little goodies.

next thing you know, my lay away has moved from the klr to the dr and i'm a happy man

you guys have built up a great living document here on the dr (it's part of what sold me on the dr) - looking forward to going through the highlights.

jamie
Old 01-14-2009, 08:02 AM   #19742
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajadawg
All this talk of jetting and I have yet to see any dyno numbers. If I wanted that much more power I'd get a XR650 or KTM. I love my 57mpg's. I don't need a safari tank to cover 270 miles. I'll do work to the suspension and get a steering stabilizer. That'll make the bike faster off road. I'll probably get the supertrapp pipe so I can have the same back pressure as stock and drop some weight. My two cents.

Dyno numbers?
The stock DR,and most motorcycles for that matter come from the factory lean.Then depending on what elevation you live at,and what air densidy you get in you carb some guys[and girls]bikes dont run right.
Most jet changes are to get the bike run better!Then depending on what mods you do like a pipe or air cleaner,etc,you jet for optilmal run condition.
The DR is lean to pass emissions.If you burn to lean you can damage the motor.I have seen bikes burn a hole in the piston from being to lean!
Its not a perfomence mod,althought rich'n or lean'n out your fuel mixture can free up HP that was there from optilmil run'n condition.
If you put a pipe on your bike,i would assume it would be to let it breath better.If you get more air flow'n thru the motor the more HP it can make.If you get a pipe with almost the same back pressure,then the only point i can see in that is too drop weight.More then likely you'll still have to fat'n up the fuel mixture.
Cleaning your air filter will change air flow,the key is to get the happy medium,nomatter what mod has been done your not done.One of my DR's is stock,and i still had to shim the jet to an aceptiblie fuel mixture.
Everyones bike will be differnt,depending on where you live and what mods are done or not done.Eevn the way you ride will determene how you jet!!
Reading plugs in an important part of owning a motorcycle!!!
Just my two cents.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #19743
fuhgawee
Thats a road?

Oddometer: 1,542
Quote:
I'll probably get the supertrapp pipe so I can have the same back pressure as stock and drop some weight. My two cents.
Question, do most aftermarket pipes have similar backpressure.
What about a FMF or CRD pipe? Interested in putting one on but not
if I have to modify jetting and decrease mileage. Understand I'm from
the sound/weight savings camp, not trying to increase performance.

+1 on the notion of upgrading suspension and rider skills.

fuhgawee screwed with this post 01-14-2009 at 08:28 AM
fuhgawee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #19744
bajadawg
Dreamer

Oddometer: 54
Mostly agree

Dyno numbers?
The stock DR,and most motorcycles for that matter come from the factory lean.Then depending on what elevation you live at,and what air densidy you get in you carb some guys[and girls]bikes dont run right.
Most jet changes are to get the bike run better!Then depending on what mods you do like a pipe or air cleaner,etc,you jet for optilmal run condition.
The DR is lean to pass emissions.If you burn to lean you can damage the motor.I have seen bikes burn a hole in the piston from being to lean!
Its not a perfomence mod,althought rich'n or lean'n out your fuel mixture can free up HP that was there from optilmil run'n condition.
If you put a pipe on your bike,i would assume it would be to let it breath better.If you get more air flow'n thru the motor the more HP it can make.If you get a pipe with almost the same back pressure,then the only point i can see in that is too drop weight.More then likely you'll still have to fat'n up the fuel mixture.
Cleaning your air filter will change air flow,the key is to get the happy medium,nomatter what mod has been done your not done.One of my DR's is stock,and i still had to shim the jet to an aceptiblie fuel mixture.
Everyones bike will be differnt,depending on where you live and what mods are done or not done.Eevn the way you ride will determene how you jet!!
Just my two cents.

I do understand fuel/air mixture. Do you really think suzuki would sell a bike that would burn a hole in the piston? I doubt you'll ever find a stock bike that someone has burned a hole in the piston. I taught the MSF course for 3 years. The range owner was probably the cheapest range owner you'll find. We had bikes with 20k miles of range use with stock jetting. The pipes would glow red with choke on warming them up on cold mornings. Not one of them ever burned up. Can you get a bike to run better than stock? Of course. Would I like to see actual data to back up all the talk? Yes.

If you actually read what I wrote about the reason I want a pipe you wouldn't have to "assume it was to let it breathe better". I want less weight.
bajadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #19745
napster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
yakity yak

Quote:
All this talk of jetting and I have yet to see any dyno numbers. If I wanted that much more power I'd get a XR650 or KTM. I love my 57mpg's. I don't need a safari tank to cover 270 miles. I'll do work to the suspension and get a steering stabilizer. That'll make the bike faster off road. I'll probably get the supertrapp pipe so I can have the same back pressure as stock and drop some weight. My two cents.
Nov. '08 MCN gave these #'s after installing the dynojet kit. Hp increased from 35.6 stock to 39.3, torque from 33.8 to 38.1. However mileage went from 52.5 to 42.1!!!!

Out here in the Great Basin and Mojave desert gas stations are few and far between. The 3.2 gallon (california) fuel tank is a limiting factor. With a 4 or 5 gallon tank you're more likely to arrive at your intended destination. Yeah the safari might be a little overkill imho, at least in these parts.
napster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #19746
bajadawg
Dreamer

Oddometer: 54
Thanks for the info

Awesome. Thanks for the info. For me the increase in power doesn't seem like it would be worth losing 50 miles in range.
bajadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #19747
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by napster
Nov. '08 MCN gave these #'s after installing the dynojet kit. Hp increased from 35.6 stock to 39.3, torque from 33.8 to 38.1. However mileage went from 52.5 to 42.1!!!!

Out here in the Great Basin and Mojave desert gas stations are few and far between. The 3.2 gallon (california) fuel tank is a limiting factor. With a 4 or 5 gallon tank you're more likely to arrive at your intended destination. Yeah the safari might be a little overkill imho, at least in these parts.
Dave Searle's series on the DR sucked. I let my subscription lapse after reading the last installment. Trying to follow his process was like following a rabbit through a briarpatch. He talks proudly of the modifications he made to make it more 'tourworthy', then later in the article he's not happy with what he's done and wants to try something else. Hell, it's easier getting straight, well-researched advice on an internet forum.
He installed an FMF, rejetted, lost mileage, repacked, rejetted, took the carb apart in a motel room, put foam blocks in the fuel tank and blamed them for lack of range only to announce in the next issue it was really the carb mods that did it.....
He tried a gel seat, then drilled holes in the stock seat, then added an Airhawk, then in a later article said it had the gel seat on it without explaining why he went back to it.
I wish they'd spent their money on good writing instead of colored ink.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #19748
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Quote:
Dyno numbers?
Just my two cents.

I do understand fuel/air mixture. Do you really think suzuki would sell a bike that would burn a hole in the piston? I doubt you'll ever find a stock bike that someone has burned a hole in the piston. I taught the MSF course for 3 years. The range owner was probably the cheapest range owner you'll find. We had bikes with 20k miles of range use with stock jetting. The pipes would glow red with choke on warming them up on cold mornings. Not one of them ever burned up. Can you get a bike to run better than stock? Of course. Would I like to see actual data to back up all the talk? Yes.

If you actually read what I wrote about the reason I want a pipe you wouldn't have to "assume it was to let it breathe better". I want less weight.
I said that if you weren't look'n to make it breath better that i could only assume you wanted to drop weight,concern'n the pipe change.
I didn't say i've seen stock bikes burn holes in pistons.My point was that i have seen bikes run'n way to lean burn holes in pistons!Suzuki sells bikes that run lean to pass emissons.If you change pipes or air cleaners etc without reading the plugs for a proper fuel mixture there is a possibility of that happen'n!
So i guess you didn't read what i typed.
Glow'n red pipes etc,is not a good thing,and i understand you didn't see one burn up in the few hours at a MSF class.But after prolonged usige of a motor glow'n red from a lean fuel mixture you will see problems occur!
Other wise cars and bikes wouldn't have cool'n systems.
I wasn't try to bust your balls,just help you out.Hot motors,for any reason do not perfom properly.Just like a bike that runs to rich,a bike that runs lean is just as bad!Really lean is alot worse!
My point was to read your plugs nomatter what mod or in stock trim your bike has.The key is to find the happy meduim.
Take it for what it is,advise.If you don't want it don't take.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #19749
GTSRIG
DR Rider

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk
Dude, you wuzzint kidding around.... The spring is already here! Overnight!
Hmmm. I sent it regular parcel post. I guess the snail mail can be pretty fast at times.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:31 AM   #19750
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,880
Quote:

Jeff from Procycle has done lots of dyno testing with various mods to the DR. Here's an air filter dyno run from his site...

And here's a stock exhaust vs FMF pipe run...

Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #19751
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Neutral Sending Unit

Ok,

Since we've got the snow, ice, cold, etc. still going on here, I figured I'd check my NSU on my 2002 DR. Before I do, here is what I've learned doing some searching around:

You can lay the bike on it's left side to do this procedure.

The side cover bolts are different sizes-pay attention here.

The bottom bolt is easy to get out, the upper bolt is a booger to get out. Might be able to use a box end wrench and attach a screw driver bit of the proper size to get to it.

I plan on just taking mine out for piece of mind. The only thing I won't have is the green neutral light-right??

Has anyone done any pics on this job from start to finish? Any other pointers before I start this task?

Thanks

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #19752
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Awesome. Thanks for the info. For me the increase in power doesn't seem like it would be worth losing 50 miles in range.
You don't have to lose any fuel mileage if the jetting is done properly.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #19753
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnp514
Ok,

Since we've got the snow, ice, cold, etc. still going on here, I figured I'd check my NSU on my 2002 DR. Before I do, here is what I've learned doing some searching around:

The bottom bolt is easy to get out, the upper bolt is a booger to get out. Might be able to use a box end wrench and attach a screw driver bit of the proper size to get to it.

I plan on just taking mine out for piece of mind. The only thing I won't have is the green neutral light-right??

Has anyone done any pics on this job from start to finish? Any other pointers before I start this task?

Thanks

Pete
See what you can find here!

http://dr650.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Old 01-14-2009, 11:24 AM   #19754
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnp514
Ok,

Thanks

Pete
When you lay the bike on the side, either put something under the frame near the shift lever or take it off. Otherwise it will bend as it contacts the floor.

Use a piece of cardboard or similar and stick the screws in it using the layout of the clutch cover:

I recommend taking off the foot peg and rear MC so you can swing the brake pedal out of the way. Otherwise you have to take the pin out of the pedal pivot which is a bit more complicated.

If you can't access the upper NSU screw you can take the clutch off easily even if you don't have the special tool. Just put the bike in gear and block the rear wheel (I used a broom) when you take off the nut.

The rest is straight forward, get back to us if you have any questions.

Lukas

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #19755
miniroot
running in: please pass

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Use a piece of cardboard or similar and stick the screws in it using the layout of the clutch cover:

Neat! Both in the "good idea" sense and the "anally retentive" sense.

;)

I usually just lay them out in order on the floor. Then, I usually forget and boot them across the floor. And then I usually spend fifteen minutes swearing.
miniroot is offline   Reply With Quote