User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2008, 08:38 AM   #106
kruzuki
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
A couple of things:
'07 HD XL50 Sportster - my third Sporty, but I think the assembly line workers were watching the clock on a Friday afternoon. Leaky rocker boxes, disappearing engine mount bolts, passenger pegs wouldn't stay down. The EFI and rubber moutned engine made for a boring ride. Got rid of it with less than 2 riding seasons before the warranty ran out.

Engagement ring - my ex wears that juicy 1 carat diamod on a necklace now. Every time I see her I ask for it back, but she won't give it to me. It's like she's wearing a mototrcycle around her neck.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #107
jraugie1
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 476
More junk junkies

Bass Pro Shops Extreme Boat Bag - $20. This thing leaks if a mosquito urinates on it.

Those expensive fill your ears with rubber earphones you buy at the big bike shows. One side stopped working on the second trip I used them and she wants $100 to repair them.

Stop Global Whining!
jraugie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:12 PM   #108
loner
explorer

Oddometer: 314
Worst

2001 Harley Davidson Softtail Deuce. Looks nice, but it's a rolling POS. Yesterday's $4600 service bill has something to do with that.
loner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:43 AM   #109
ozcan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Hawkeoiler

Years later the bloody thing still hasn't arrived... .
ozcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #110
ctbandit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Motoboss "Waterproof" "Winter" gloves...
Old 01-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #111
dusty308
wanderer

Oddometer: 444
the ipod connectivitiy option in my car, broke in less than a year and they wanted $90 just to look at it not covered under warranty
cheers
josh
Old 01-30-2009, 09:28 AM   #112
"D"aily "R"ider 650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
kinda funny to see all these people saying that harbor frieght stuff is so much crap. granted there are much better stuff out there. I work at a CAT dealorship as a mechanic, i have quite a few HF sockets and wrenches. i use all my sockets with my IR titanium (1000ft/lb revers torque) impact's and no problems. i've been useing them for a year + now and all of them are still working great. then again i might have just REALLY lucked out. they were nice tools to get started, but now these things just won't brake (knock on wood).

Semper Fi
"D"aily "R"ider 650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #113
Navy CWO
Salty

Oddometer: 171
My 1972 For Torino Station wagon! What a POS! It rusted out from underneath me from the inside out! Found out later that Ford decided they'd experiment with not priming the steel before painting the exterior finish. Apparently was a class-action suit about this.
Also had no zerk fittings as it was "greased for life". Started squeeking at about 10,000 miles! I put my own grease fittings into the areas that had been drilled/tapped and fited with plugs!
It was 28 years before I bought another Ford. I can hold a grudge!
Navy CWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:55 AM   #114
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,928
Alpinestars Roam Boots. During their second season the seams ruptured which rendered them vented, instead of waterproof. I'm glad I didn't pay anywhere near full price for those holy boots.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:24 PM   #115
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,778
Harbor Freight

+1 not understanding the strong negative opinions regarding Harbor Freight stuff. In my experience their products range from average down to extremely cheap and nasty. However, the cheap and nasty stuff is usually easy to identify, priced accordingly and, depending upon your application, might work just fine (if you're expecting much more then you can hardly blame the cheap tools for your lack of good judgement).

I have had perfectly acceptable service from HF sockets, wrenches, torque wrenches, screwdrivers, hot-air gun, tire inflaters and various other bits and pieces, most recently a small ultrasonic cleaner, on sale for $20, which works wonders to clean up small engine parts. Numerous friends and family members have HF $2.99 DVMs, all of which seem to be performing just fine. The only thing I ever bought from them that didn't live up to my (appropriately low) expectations was an air impact wrench that produced so little torque I could prevent it from turning with my hand. It was cheap so I wasn't too surprised and when I took it back, I received a full refund so I wasn't too dissatisfied.

Things that really disappoint and frustrate me are the expensive tools and other items that fail to work as advertised or otherwise don't meet expectations.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #116
ColorItBlue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy CWO
My 1972 For Torino Station wagon! What a POS! It rusted out from underneath me from the inside out! Found out later that Ford decided they'd experiment with not priming the steel before painting the exterior finish. Apparently was a class-action suit about this.
Also had no zerk fittings as it was "greased for life". Started squeeking at about 10,000 miles! I put my own grease fittings into the areas that had been drilled/tapped and fited with plugs!
It was 28 years before I bought another Ford. I can hold a grudge!
I had almost forgotten but back then I had a 1970 Ford Torino Cobra 429SCJ w/ the toploader and a Holley 800 double-pumper that would go over 100mph in 2nd gear but the brakes were ultra-POS so that made for a nice combination...
ColorItBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #117
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast
+1 not understanding the strong negative opinions regarding Harbor Freight stuff. In my experience their products range from average down to extremely cheap and nasty. However, the cheap and nasty stuff is usually easy to identify, priced accordingly and, depending upon your application, might work just fine (if you're expecting much more then you can hardly blame the cheap tools for your lack of good judgement).

I have had perfectly acceptable service from HF sockets, wrenches, torque wrenches, screwdrivers, hot-air gun, tire inflaters and various other bits and pieces, most recently a small ultrasonic cleaner, on sale for $20, which works wonders to clean up small engine parts. Numerous friends and family members have HF $2.99 DVMs, all of which seem to be performing just fine. The only thing I ever bought from them that didn't live up to my (appropriately low) expectations was an air impact wrench that produced so little torque I could prevent it from turning with my hand. It was cheap so I wasn't too surprised and when I took it back, I received a full refund so I wasn't too dissatisfied.

Things that really disappoint and frustrate me are the expensive tools and other items that fail to work as advertised or otherwise don't meet expectations.
+1

Not to mention, the best utility of HF tools is that you can buy a limited use, specialty tool there for a fraction of what you could elsewhere - and given that it's something you use very seldom it would be lunacy to stock your entire garage full of Snap-On stuff that never gets used.

I've bought very few things there that left me sorry I did, and like you said the apparent quality translates. If I thought it was a gamble, it ended up being true. If it looked like a reasonably good tool, it surpassed my expectations.

Back on topic: Worst POS I ever bought as far as equipment goes was a Sears riding lawnmower a few years back, their "top of the line". What a total piece of crap. Wouldn't run, wouldn't charge. Fixed over and over for engine, starter, pulleys, gears, belts, I used it very lightly in the first 2 months and was so utterly pissed at its almost comical failures that I took it back and demanded a refund...which to their credit Sears issued.

I was so disgusted I went out and bought a Ferris IS1500Z zero-turn mower for $6000 instead....which has been flawless.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #118
Naegling
Fireman/Ambulance Jockey

Oddometer: 91
Body Bag

Worst $11.20 I ever spent. It leaked all over my trunk... Smelled for weeks.

Seriously - I bought a Dan Wesson .357 Magnum custom shop pistol one time. Every time you fired the thing it would shoot red hot bits of metal in your face from the barrel porting. I sent it back to the factory twice with no fix. I ended up selling it to a gunsmith for almost what I paid for it, so no loss really. but I still think twice when I shoot a revolver now.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #119
mike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by loner
2001 Harley Davidson Softtail Deuce. Looks nice, but it's a rolling POS. Yesterday's $4600 service bill has something to do with that.

I hope that's a typo...
Old 01-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #120
GSXF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Velo motorcycle gloves... very bad fitting