NevadaTex OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Ram Cradle for GPSmap 60CSx

Okay...
1) so I got the 60CSx, and
2) I got the handlebar mounting ball and arm from RAM, and
3) I got the cradle from RAM...

but I'm pretty sure something is missing in this set up. The 60CSx sits very nicely in the cradle, but it doesn't firmly "snap" down into the cradle. It just lays there loosely enough that I'm guessing that it needs some kind of a screw-down accessory in order to keep the 60CSx firmly seated in the cradle. Right?????

So, for those of you who are familiar with this setup, my question is this...should the cradle have come with the screw attachment piece or is that an additional item that I need purchase from RAM in order to keep my GPS from bouncing out? If so, can you please point me to the correct item?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

1985 BMW R80
2005 F650 Dakar
NevadaTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Pir8te
over forty victim of fate

Oddometer: 1,448
Mine just snaps in tight ,,,, I take and loop the lanyard around the bars before mounting it in the ram ball because I read someone here lost one

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaTex
Okay...
1) so I got the 60CSx, and
2) I got the handlebar mounting ball and arm from RAM, and
3) I got the cradle from RAM...

but I'm pretty sure something is missing in this set up. The 60CSx sits very nicely in the cradle, but it doesn't firmly "snap" down into the cradle. It just lays there loosely enough that I'm guessing that it needs some kind of a screw-down accessory in order to keep the 60CSx firmly seated in the cradle. Right?????

So, for those of you who are familiar with this setup, my question is this...should the cradle have come with the screw attachment piece or is that an additional item that I need purchase from RAM in order to keep my GPS from bouncing out? If so, can you please point me to the correct item?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Pir8te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,648
Check the box your GPS came in for the belt clip, install the little button on the back of the unit.

You're not the first one
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
NevadaTex OP
Adventurer

Duh!

Thanks for the tip, tbirdsp. I originally thought the button was an integral part of the belt clip. Now that I've been "clued in", the GPS is mounted rock solid in the cradle.

happy, happy, happy!

1985 BMW R80
2005 F650 Dakar
Old 02-01-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,872
Put a Zip Tie around the whole thing to keep it from popping out if the button comes off. Several people have lost their unit.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
NevadaTex OP
Adventurer

I've heard/read those reports of a "jumping" GPS and I'll be sure to have a back up plan in place before mine decides to take the death-leap. I was planning to use a carabiner or something similar in conjunction with the wrist strap to wrap it and clip it around the handlebars, but the strap seems kinda flimsy to me. I haven't tested my wrist strap...yet.

Have any of you heard reports from someone who had their Garmin supplied wrist strap fail? Is it as wimpy as it feels?

I like the idea of something more robust than the wrist strap as a backup but a bit easier to take on and off than the zip tie. Ideas? Big rubber bands? Elastic/velcro straps? Newspaper string? Bubble gum?

1985 BMW R80
2005 F650 Dakar
Old 02-01-2009, 10:56 PM   #7
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,192
The touratech mount for the 60 series is very goodly, I used a mates then bought my own, they are a nice piece of kit and they are a locking mount, so you never lose the GPS from the mount. Good rubber isolation points too for shock damping. And not too expensive either for a TT part. BUT, the power plug you need to run it off the bike is a bit expensive for what it is.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
JMartin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
After a get-off in the woods yanked the button out the back by its roots, I keep mine firmly in place with a piece of inner tube. I cut a small, circular strip and wrap it around the gps and RAM cradle just above the top of the screen. It works perfectly. But I rarely take my gps out of its cradle. I just detach it at the ball if I want to take it inside, e.g. to connect it to the computer. Another inmate here suggested the inner tube but I forget who. I still use the lanyard around the handle bar too.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
Tail Gunner
Life is Good !!!

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
Put a Zip Tie around the whole thing to keep it from popping out if the button comes off. Several people have lost their unit.
I take the wrist strap (rope) and wrap it around the RAM mount, just in case it decides to jump out of the mount.
Tail Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,872
Quote:
I've heard/read those reports of a "jumping" GPS and I'll be sure to have a back up plan in place before mine decides to take the death-leap. I was planning to use a carabiner or something similar in conjunction with the wrist strap to wrap it and clip it around the handlebars, but the strap seems kinda flimsy to me.

Ideas? Big rubber bands? Elastic/velcro straps? Newspaper string? Bubble gum?
One guy faithfully used the wrist strap, then one day he noticed what was left of his GPS banging on the fork leg by the wrist strap.

Use the rubber band or zip tie. You only need to remove it from the credle to change batteries, USB port is accessable. Assuming you are hard wireing it, batteries will last a year.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #11
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,718
Quote:
I was planning to use a carabiner or something similar in conjunction with the wrist strap to wrap it and clip it around the handlebars, but the strap seems kinda flimsy to me.
You can also looped the Garmin lanyard around the mirror stalk (see pic). I also slipped one of those plastic spring loaded friction locks over the lanyard which is then pulled tight to the mirror stalk. The lanyard is strong enough. Its not like the GPS is going to be dangling off the end of it for days.

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #12
MonsterJ
I have motopsychosis

Oddometer: 262
I found that when mine was installed it moved ever-so-slightly in the cradle. I found a little mulipack of felt feet (like on the bottom of a lamp so it doesn't scratch the table) at Home Depot and attached them in two spots in the mount. Now she's nice and tight!

Temple, TX -> Cape May, NJ -> Mobile, AL -> ECity, NC -> Kodiak, AK -> Mobile, AL -> Sacto, CA -> Cape Cod, MA -> New London, CT -> San Francisco, CA -> Juneau, AK (summer of '13) -> where to next?
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #13
NevadaTex OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the input and advice

This is the first time I've tried hooking up GPS-ing and motorcycling, so I truly appreciate all the comments and insights.

Thanks,

1985 BMW R80
2005 F650 Dakar
Old 02-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #14
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJ
I found that when mine was installed it moved ever-so-slightly in the cradle.
I didn't have all that much play if any so I used 3M Paint Protection Film on my GPS. It sticks, you don't know it is there plus it keeps the unit looking better because I've eliminated any chafing.

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #15
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,249
While a fail-safe security strap will keep the GPS with you if it pops out of the mount, I think some kind of elastic band or similar to keep it from vibrating is a better idea.

We've had long threads on this very forum where lots of folks have had their GPS go AWOL while others have never had the slightest problem. I think the difference is how tightly the mount "grasps" the GPS. When my mount was new, the GPS fit very tightly, but over the years, I've noticed that the little ridge in the mount barrel that engages the GPS button has visibly worn down and now the GPS has 1mm+ "play" in the mount. This play allows the GPS to vibrate a bit in the mount which probably exacerbates the wear rate. Another factor may be that some users "snap" the GPS in and out of the mount rather than pre-bending the mount arm to ease it in and out. This probably wears the ridge pretty rapidly.

A simple rubber band stabilizes the GPS in the mount and should keep a loose GPS tight or keep a tight GPS from becoming loose. Some kind of rubber feet or shims probably would do similar, but they can't do double-duty as a security strap.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote